11/14/21 Postgame Thread: Bills at Jets

Hapless Bills Fan

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Why?  If it say to root for the Chiefs I think the logic is wrong.

Why?  The Bills have a half game on the Chiefs.  They do not play the Raiders.  I haven't looked at scenarios so that's what comes to mind.  That and looks better on strength of schedule.

Edited by Scott7975

1 hour ago, Bruffalo said:

Having Spencer Brown back is huge, the dude is a physical monster.  It's too early to call it a home run signing, but he looks SO promising. 

Knox is a fantastic TE1 option. 

All you need to unleash Allen and that WR group is a little time to throw the ball.  Brown is playing great and Williams is a much better guard then tackle.  And I'll say it - Brown was a home run pick in the 3rd round. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Why?  The Bills have a half game on the Chiefs.  They do not play the Raiders.  I haven't looked at scenarios so that's what comes to mind.  That and looks better on strength of schedule.

I know all of that.  I can read a "Standings" graphic.  I DON"T WANT THE CHIEFS TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

I'm not yelling I am just really hopeful.

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Absolutely agree. Once they figured how to use him the right way (or were forced to, basically) he came on strong. Awesome signing in my book.

Look i know it was way away from the play side but if a O lineman engages and drags the defensive player down to the ground they are going to call it. Should they call it when it is so far away from the play? That’s debatable. But it was a hold, no phantoms involved.

from my recollection d dawk turned him and there was a huge log jam going on behind and they both fell engaged in the block. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Early on was playing more the role of the 3rd LB.  Once he started playing either Edmunds or Milano's role when they got hurt, he was a different guy.

Odd that a physical LB who can tackle and rush the passer doesn't have more snaps. Unfortunately he's just not great at running around with his hands up.

• Haha (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

I was saying before this game, that the RPOs were killing the run game and the offense as a whole. The thing that stood out to me is that run plays were run plays and pass plays were pass plays. Those option plays left the OL not knowing whether to pass block or run block and were killing the offense.  RPOs are a nice wrinkle, but the offense was using then way too much. It's really no surprise that the Bills offense exploded against the Jets. All they really needed was to get back to some good play calling. Of course, having Knox and Brown back factored in too. Overall though, I think the RPOs were hanging the OL out to dry and Josh too, for that matter. When the play call is a run the OL can fire off a block as soon as the ball snaps. When a play is a pass, the OL can focus on protecting the QB. The offense still has some work to do, but I think they have discovered what hasn't been working and then executed in this game. The play action is nice to see. The different run looks were too. Liking what I see.

This is not accurate, IMO.

RPOs upfront are running plays. They are never expected to pass block, and instead are playing the run from the get go. Specifically,  these plays are designed to be executed in a way that allows for the QB to still pass the ball, while the OL is run blocking. For example, stretch zone with horizontal movement…. They are coached up not to move onto the second level, but instead work down the LOS, washing guys who cross their face.  The QB generally reads a specific player, who would determine if they have the hats to get it done upfront or if it’s best to swing it to a WR/TE where the numbers are better. Pair this with the a quick decisive throw, and the OL is none the wiser. I’m not sure this is the Kryptonite they’ve faced on O the last few weeks.

I think they ran the ball better today, because they weren’t relying on Cody Ford, and had early success with the quick pass game. I don’t think the RPO aspect was a huge factor, although it is coincidental. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

This is not accurate, IMO.

RPOs upfront are running plays. They are never expected to pass block, and instead are playing the run from the get go. Specifically,  these plays are designed to be executed in a way that allows for the QB to still pass the ball, while the OL is run blocking. For example, stretch zone with horizontal movement…. They are coached up not to move onto the second level, but instead work down the LOS, washing guys who cross their face.  The QB generally reads a specific player, who would determine if they have the hats to get it done upfront or if it’s best to swing it to a WR/TE where the numbers are better. Pair this with the a quick decisive throw, and the OL is none the wiser. I’m not sure this is the Kryptonite they’ve faced on O the last few weeks.

I think they ran the ball better today, because they weren’t relying on Cody Ford, and had early success with the quick pass game. I don’t think the RPO aspect was a huge factor, although it is coincidental. 

That's the way I used to think of it. But those plays have been blown up repeatedly in recent weeks and the issue is that they often end with Josh getting hit behind the line of scrimmage. If he doesn't escape, that's a sack. Also, if you were watching this game, the RPOs were rarely used if at all. Also, it's very clear, the play calling was much different in this game. I admit that the design of the RPO is how you describe, but it is still a pass option. And if nobody is crossing the line of scrimmage, what do you think the OL is belatedly going to try to do? Continue to run block? Every play has it's benefits and flaws. The point is that it was far over used and new play calls were needed.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A few things I noticed today:

1. D line was in White's face and hitting him all day.  They didn't get the sacks but they were laying the heat down after down.  Ed got loose over the NYJ guard and just pounded White on what look like a fumble.  Watch the replay on that one and look at Mike White after Ed completely dumped him.  That's a guy in pain right there.  Oliver has really come on this season.  Not "worthy" of a draft pick as high as he was taken?  Who gives a rats behind?  This season, he's showing exactly why the Bills brass wanted him so much and today was a perfect example.  He's a monster.

2. Josh was IN THE BLEEPING ZONE today!  75% completion % and hitting the deep balls all day.  I'm sure everyone noticed how little air he puts under his long passes when he's on.  No rainbows.  You can tell he has to take an extra step or wait just a bit longer because his arm is so strong.  If he keeps it up, his long-ball confidence will skyrocket. 

3. Diggs:  162 (!) yards receiving at 20.2 (!) yard average reception.  Yikes!  Diggs is just unbelievable to say the least.  We got him and he ain't going nowhere else.  Gonna be one of the best Bills receivers ever, if not the best, by the time he retires.  History in the making and we all get front row seats!

Man, it is DEFINITELY a great time to be a fan of the Buffalo Bills!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.