John Wawrow: McDermott says offense became too quarterback-dependent, jeopardizing team’s success

Hapless Bills Fan

If there is the one thing I do not WANT to see happen, it is an overreaction to what happened Sunday -- and a sudden emphasis on trying to force something that just does not equate well to our personnel, etc.

Not to revisit past news, but the Jacksonville game was an imperfect storm of inter-related activities:

1. The Jags defense played out of their collective minds. They compiled more sacks and turnovers than they had collectively collected in their first 7 games combined.

2. The Bills coaches and players will not admit this, but they did not respect the Jags enough going into the game -- and (worse) they failed to respect them during the game. By halftime, it should have been obvious that the flow of the game was such that it was going to be a low-scoring, defensive battle. Points and sure first downs were going to be at a premium. Yet, too many times when in or close to field goal range, the team took foolish risks that cost them. Bass is a definite strength of the team -- and if the coaches had made better use of him, maybe they would have come away with a 12-9 or 15-9 victory (or something like that) -- and the talk of teh game would have been the hapless Jags missing multiple field goals on a single drive.

3. Key injuries to underrated players -- especially Brown and Knox. I don't think that there is any question that the offense has struggled without these two.

4. Poor OL play. (See #3 above)

5. Josh trying on some occasions to wait on a big play rather than settling for an effective check-down. (See #2 above)

6. Untimely drops by Sweeney, Davis and Beasley.

I agree that a running came would help take some pressure off Josh. I also agree that when Dabol has tried it, he's been half-hearted about it -- especially in the last 3 games. Even this year, the rushing attack has been effective at times -- most notably in closing out the victory over the Chiefs. It may be worth being a bit more patient and consistent with it -- but I also do not want to fall into a series of 3-and-outs because the running game is not working.

Also, I find it worth noting the team's overall lack of success on 4th down conversions this season. The obvious one was the failed QB sneak at the end of the Tennessee game. However, there were multiple ones in the Pittsburgh game and the Jacksonville game as well. Meanwhile opponents converted on key 4th down plays against us  in all 3 of those contests. More success there on both sides of the ball and the Bills are 8-0.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

If there is the one thing I do not WANT to see happen, it is an overreaction to what happened Sunday -- and a sudden emphasis on trying to force something that just does not equate well to our personnel, etc.

Not to revisit past news, but the Jacksonville game was an imperfect storm of inter-related activities:

Fair points but the offense also struggled against the Dolphins. This isn't just a one game slide. The only difference against Miami is we managed to have one good TD drive at the end (the final TD was a gift from the defense). They can't keep doing the same thing.

5 hours ago, motorj said:

So is he saying dabs should call more run plays for the rb's instead of being pass happy? Seems like a disaster waiting to happen with this OL

I think McDermott is saying that the OL we have, needs to be more "physical at the point of attack" (don't remember if Wawrow quoted it, but McD said it).  That's what he means about “You cannot lose sight of the core aspects of the game of football.”

He's being deliberately vague about what else he wants to see, but the design of the run blocking for the runplays called, playcalling and communication on the OL to be sure everyone is on the same play, calling run plays that best match the skill sets of the backs and the OL are all places where there ought to be room to improve with the current Cast of Characters

16 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Callers who said this were run off the air after Week One.

The Bills have become dependent on Allen, not as far as Seattle has with Wilson, but dependent.

He is asked to dodge pressure, overcome no run game, be the leading rusher, pass 47 times a game, see every check down, yet stay aggressive.

My one beef with Allen is he tends to be loose with the football in terms of fumbles. 

But he gives it absolutely everything he has to win every week. 

Exactly right. What more can we ask of him? A lot of that stuff just comes with the territory of being a starting QB, be he is dodging free rushers on almost every single play. It's ridiculous.

And with defenders in his face actively hitting him, fans say "well, he should have hit that open receiver or checked it down" like it's a simple thing.

I'm fine with asking him to do a lot, but you have to protect him, at least.

I think this quote from McDermott is really telling:

“You cannot lose sight of the core aspects of the game of football.”

This quote is McDermott critiquing himself.   By implication, at least some on his team have lost sight of physicality being a core aspect of the game.  If players have lost sight, which at least some undoubtedly have, then their coaches are failing at their job.  And if their coaches are failing at theirs, McDermott is failing at his.   I am certain he would freely admit that is true. 

I keep trying to compare McDermott to Belichick.   Belichick lives in the core aspects of the game.   His teams never lose sight of the need to be physical.  His teams bring it every week, with everything they have.   And, by the way, the latest glamour-boy in the league is Mike Vrabel, for exactly that reason.  

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Well, I'm glad he's willing to acknowledge what everyone can see.  Let's see if they can get things turned around in the next few weeks.  Jets' defense has to be licking their chops right now.

It's about time someone admits Josh cannot be expected to be 100% of the offense. Kick the butts of these olineman. Get more TE's on the LOS.  Tell Singletary and Moss to attack the holes faster. If you're stuck facing cover 2 shell than have a plan.

• Like (+1) 2

It's a bull**** comment by McD.

Some might respond with excuses on why he is right and why I should care.  

To be clear, he is not right and I don't care.

If the only thing this line could do is pick its nose and pass block among the elite in this league you could ride Josh to anywhere on this planet, including the next super bowl given the success they had with it last year.

They can save the nose picking for after they get there.  

The committee of 300 passing and 100 or so on the ground from 3 guys running can carry the day, almost every day.  But the horses pulling the rig are flailing. 

I hated getting rid of Teller and I am tired of the beat down I get from bringing it up.  They want to turn around some of what is going wrong, then how about not blaming your successes and point instead to YOUR actual mistakes and don't do them again.  My buddy was spitting nickels when they didn't take Humphrey over Boogie.  

20 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

I said that not too long ago.  They need an all purpose back they can really lean on and a line that open holes for said RB.

Balance.

They’d be better off with a rb that is an absolute stud in pass protection and can catch the ball…I think the combination of moss leaving the game,Knox being out and missing two decent offensive linemen was just too much for us to handle in this one. We look like an entirely different team with Knox out there. 

4 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Simple fixes.  Daboll spamming passes caught some teams off guard last year.  This year teams expect it. 

I’m confused how people see this…we are calling runs they are just going backwards lol any time our rbs have a nice carry it involves breaking at least 2 tackles.  we don’t have the most important offensive weapon against cover 2 because he broke his hand in the titans game and that is the difference. Knox was going off all season. The two games he’s missed have been a struggle 

18 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think this quote from McDermott is really telling:

This quote is McDermott critiquing himself.   By implication, at least some on his team have lost sight of physicality being a core aspect of the game.  If players have lost sight, which at least some undoubtedly have, then their coaches are failing at their job.  And if their coaches are failing at theirs, McDermott is failing at his.   I am certain he would freely admit that is true. 

I keep trying to compare McDermott to Belichick.   Belichick lives in the core aspects of the game.   His teams never lose sight of the need to be physical.  His teams bring it every week, with everything they have.   And, by the way, the latest glamour-boy in the league is Mike Vrabel, for exactly that reason.  

“You cannot lose sight of the core aspects of the game of football.”

This quote is a little mysterious but I do not believe he was critiquing himself.  I think he was bemoaning the lack of push by the offensive line. 

I believe McDermott understands that finesse is great but football is ultimately a physical game and you have to be able to impose your will on your opponent.  The Bills didn't do that in the 4th and 1 at Tennessee.  And failed all game against the Jags.  

I'm not sure how, at this point in the season, you make your OL more physical.   He promises adjustments are coming.  We'll see.

Clearly in the offseason, we need to sign/draft different players.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I believe McDermott understands that finesse is great but football is ultimately a physical game and you have to be able to impose your will on your opponent.  The Bills didn't do that in the 4th and 1 at Tenny 

And failed all game against the Jags.  

McD / Daboll blew both games 

go for the FG and live to play another down 

IF the 4th and goal sneak had worked in Tenny,  McD would have been profusely praised for it.  

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

21 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It's not from McD, it's from Wawrow.

Thank you for the correction, LaGOAT.

If Wawrow said it then my same comment goes to him, regardless of his power to control anything, which thankfully he doesn't.

Side note, Pats win and a Bills loss and I believe we are on the outside looking in as Pats would be the division leader and the Bengals would leap frog us for the final wild card spot.

Never expected this and hopefully it doesn't come to pass.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Offensive line play determine our fate.  I really don’t think anything else matters.  Referees and play calling will also have some influence.  Our D is good.  It’s just not good enough to completely make up for some of the worst OL play we’ve seen

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

Thank you for the correction, LaGOAT.

If Wawrow said it than my same comment goes to him, regardless of his power to control anything, which thankfully he doesn't.

Side note, Pats win and a Bills loss and I believe we are on the outside looking in as Pats would be the division leader and the Bengals would leap frog us for te final wild card spot.

Never expected this and hopefully it doesn't come to pass.

Yeah. First thing's first, just win the division. The Pats are gonna be tough. Before the season, I predicted the Bills splitting games with the Pats and Jets.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

We allocated alot of resources again to the defense this off season and really only got Manny Sanders for the O…no TE depth…the quality of our backs…believing in this group of olinemen…Glad Sean recognizes in Week 10 that maybe having a QB that has to be Superman every week isn’t a good idea 

He realized that already. He's preached complimentary football since 2017. The reality is that no team can play complimentary football 100% of the time. They always have to make adjustments.

I think you're post illustrates their miscalculations with a number of their players: Feliciano, Boettger, Ford, Sweeney... they probably could have better players ahead of these guys. And the struggles have been magnified by the dip in consistency from Dawkins.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.