After watching the yardsperpass videos...Josh owns these issues toos...

Hebert19

8 hours ago, Gugny said:

Bills are 10th in the NFL for rushing yards per game and 7th in the NFL for YPC.

I don't think the problem is that we "can't run the ball."  I think it's more that we "don't run the ball at the right times."

Josh Allen accounts for the third largest % of a teams rushing yards for a QB, only behind Lamar and Jalen Hurts. Output isn't the issue, it's we have no output with our RB's. Which is the entire part of the run game that allows for things like playaction or slowing down the pass rush or staying on schedule.  

9 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I don't think we're a very good run team. 

Moss stinks, so you're shoveling carries into a landfill if he is your primary back. 

Singletary has a great average, but it seems we never see him get more than 10-carries, so hard to tell how efficient giving him that many snaps really is. 

Right now Allen is 1/3rd of our run output (Singletary 355, Moss 233 yards, Allen 319 yards).  

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

I respectfully disagree re: Moss.

Totally agree that we don't see enough Singletary.  The (lazy) narrative is that he "can't handle," more carries, but that has literally never been proven out.

I personally like RB by committee (ask Tennessee why), but I think what's hampering run success is a) a horrid OL and b) game-planning/strategy.

I'm not gonna bash Daboll.  This is an offense scoring over 30 points/game.  But I do think he can do some things to make the offense less predictable.

I'll give @Beerballcredit for the last thing I'll say.  Paraphrasing what he said:  "We're taking what the defense gives us instead of taking what we want."  I think there's a time to do that.  A game against the worst team in the NFL was not that time, IMO.

Most of our big runs from Josh.  Without QB running, we may be last in NFL in rushing.  But, i still strongly believe we should run more, but in different formation.  I think 90% of our running play is delayed running play from the shotgun formation.  Even grade school coach can figure this by now. 

I’ve gotten the all 22 in years past and I’m debating going in for it this year based on current struggles.

That clip is frustrating from an OC and OL standpoint. 

Anybody smarter than me know if shotgun was helping or hurting this game? The clip here has both ends coming off the line fast. In a vacuum it seems like a 5 step drop out of shotgun when your OT’s are trying to guide the DE’s past the QB isn’t great from the get go. But I don’t know if that was what was happening all game. 

7 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Let's be real.  The rushing numbers are drastically inflated due to Allen's rushing #'s

Singletary has averaged 731 yards/year since joining the league. And that's with sharing carries in a pass first offense,

2 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Josh Allen accounts for the third largest % of a teams rushing yards for a QB, only behind Lamar and Jalen Hurts. Output isn't the issue, it's we have no output with our RB's. Which is the entire part of the run game that allows for things like playaction or slowing down the pass rush or staying on schedule.  

Perfectly said....with JA we're 11th in rushing...without him we avg 79 yards per game with our 2 blind mice.....29th in the NFL. Most of Josh's yardage are on "run for your life" scrambles. Both our OL & RB's are terrible. And Daboll knows it.  I just doubt there's a "shuffling of the OL" solution here before season ends. Brown going back to RT and DW staying at RG should help some. Maybe try Bates at LG? Josh was due for a bad game and his front 5 did him no favors.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

They blitzed heavily. Allen refused to take many underneath yardage

He threw more underneath, short passes this game than any game I can remember.

He didn't do it quickly as his first read much at all, unless it was a wr screen. 

He really has to work on his short quick passing game...

It's like a golfer than ignores the wedge game, has to have it in his tool kit. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, kkim0904 said:

Most of our big runs from Josh.  Without QB running, we may be last in NFL in rushing.  But, i still strongly believe we should run more, but in different formation.  I think 90% of our running play is delayed running play from the shotgun formation.  Even grade school coach can figure this by now. 

Yes, I’m not sure why the Bills act like it is illegal to line up in a Pro Set with Allen under Center and hand off.

Nope, let’s start 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage and get hit in 0.22 yards.

18 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Are you serious with this? He gets hit from behind by the blind side rusher within 3 seconds. Why would he think to throw a check down 2 seconds after the snap? It's an impossible situation. An offense can't live and die on short routes and check downs. But our offensive line can't hold up long enough for deep routes to develop.

In addition, JA bails out the Oline on just about every play. Even consider the TD pass to Gabe last week— he dodged two free rushers, was then grabbed by the facemask, and threw the TD. 

19 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Just posting the one here but take a look at the others.  2020 josh was way more decisive than he is in this game.  If anything when being pressured he should be more decisive instead he's holding the ball too long. 

See this one.  Yes the line collapses.  As it does in most of the videos but here is where josh of old would have won that game.  

1.   There is a lane to run. 

2.  If he throws at bottom of drop to the hole where Diggs is going its a chance at a big play.  

If you watch others he has the check down or quick routes open all day and doesn't take them.  

Oline was ***** but Josh has to be better. 

I loved the string of videos of he sending out on his TL.  My takeaway was that the entire offense needs to work around the very bad OL.  This means quicker developing routes and that Josh needs to focus on getting the ball out quick and in a position for YAC.  This seemed to be lacking last week.   Of course, a running game would help a little..but that’s not happening.  

These checkdowns have never been part of Josh’s game.  In fact, some argued that he struggled with touch on short passes.  But to beat Tampa 2, this is something’s he’s going to need to work on.  

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I loved the string of videos of he sending out on his TL.  My takeaway was that the entire offense needs to work around the very bad OL.  This means quicker developing routes and that Josh needs to focus on getting the ball out quick and in a position for YAC.  This seemed to be lacking last week.   Of course, a running game would help a little..but that’s not happening.  

These checkdowns have never been part of Josh’s game.  In fact, some argued that he struggled with touch on short passes.  But to beat Tampa 2, this is something’s he’s going to need to work on.  

Agree.  And how about moving the pocket and getting josh out on designed bootlegs....that also changes throwing angles against zone creates new openings.  

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Singletary has averaged 731 yards/year since joining the league. And that's with sharing carries in a pass first offense,

I'll never understand why he's not getting 90% of the carries each week.

He's no superstar but what few big run plays this team's had the last few years (not counting Allen) have all been from him. Also the better blocker and pass catcher too.

Moss to mean is just a short yardage/utility type of back and don't know why they keep wasting carries on him especially since he's injury prone anyway.

Edited by FilthyBeast
  • Agree 2

On 11/10/2021 at 12:35 PM, Hebert19 said:

Just posting the one here but take a look at the others.  2020 josh was way more decisive than he is in this game.  If anything when being pressured he should be more decisive instead he's holding the ball too long. 

See this one.  Yes the line collapses.  As it does in most of the videos but here is where josh of old would have won that game.  

1.   There is a lane to run. 

2.  If he throws at bottom of drop to the hole where Diggs is going its a chance at a big play.  

If you watch others he has the check down or quick routes open all day and doesn't take them.  

Oline was ***** but Josh has to be better. 

He does have diggs since the deep safety is already turned to the top ...should of been a pass towards the sideline area and leading diggs upfield

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.