After watching the yardsperpass videos...Josh owns these issues toos...

Hebert19

Just posting the one here but take a look at the others.  2020 josh was way more decisive than he is in this game.  If anything when being pressured he should be more decisive instead he's holding the ball too long. 

See this one.  Yes the line collapses.  As it does in most of the videos but here is where josh of old would have won that game.  

1.   There is a lane to run. 

2.  If he throws at bottom of drop to the hole where Diggs is going its a chance at a big play.  

If you watch others he has the check down or quick routes open all day and doesn't take them.  

Oline was ***** but Josh has to be better. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Hebert19 said:

Just posting the one here but take a look at the others.  2020 josh was way more decisive than he is in this game.  If anything when being pressured he should be more decisive instead he's holding the ball too long. 

See this one.  Yes the line collapses.  As it does in most of the videos but here is where josh of old would have won that game.  

2.  If he throws at bottom of drop to the hole where Diggs is going its a chance at a big play.  

If you watch others he has the check down or quick routes open all day and doesn't take them.  

Allen has not been nearly as good as last year despite some misleading comparisons being thrown out there on his YTD numbers vs 2020 halfway point, but you can't put everything on him when you are under pressure from the moment the football is snapped on seemingly almost every pass play.

But again, a lot of this also has to do with the fact that teams know we can't run the ball and are going to abandon any feeble attempt to do it quickly especially in a close game. And just like with what's happening with KC, teams are going to continue to give the same cove2 shell looks and bring pressure in the middle because it's working.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Allen has not been nearly as good as last year despite some misleading comparisons being thrown out there on his YTD numbers vs 2020 halfway point, but you can't put everything on him when you are under pressure from the moment the football is snapped on seemingly almost every pass play.

But again, a lot of this also has to do with the fact that teams know we can't run the ball and are going to abandon any feeble attempt to do it quickly especially in a close game. And just like with what's happening with KC, teams are going to continue to give the same cove2 shell looks and bring pressure in the middle because it's working.

Bills are 10th in the NFL for rushing yards per game and 7th in the NFL for YPC.

I don't think the problem is that we "can't run the ball."  I think it's more that we "don't run the ball at the right times."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Agree.   I think the oline is ***** and our RBs are below average so you are preaching to the choir.  But to win that game...a decisive josh gets it done. 

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Bills are 10th in the NFL for rushing yards per game and 7th in the NFL for YPC.

I don't think the problem is that we "can't run the ball."  I think it's more that we "don't run the ball at the right times."

You realize that the Allen has 319 yards and a 5.6 average many if which are scrambles.  

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Well I think this is a little misleading because much of that is due to Allen running.

Basically I think what most people are saying is that we struggle to run the ball in the traditional sense of turning around and handing it off to a back, and that's true even against light boxes.

Part of the reason why teams are able to drop into coverage and prevent our passing game from being what it used to be is because they can stop the run with their front 4 and typically stop it for losses or 1 or 2 yard gains. That's pathetic honestly...5 guys blocking 4 and we still get no push at all.

Edited by Big Turk

3 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Agree.   I think the oline is ***** and our RBs are below average so you are preaching to the choir.  But to win that game...a decisive josh gets it done. 

You realize that the Allen has 319 yards and a 5.6 average many if which are scrambles.  

I don't know how many were scrambles, actually.  I'd be interested to know and would guess that more than half were designed runs.

Just now, Gugny said:

I don't know how many were scrambles, actually.  I'd be interested to know and would guess that more than half were designed runs.

He's had 3 carries for more than 20 yards in last few games.  All scrambles.  

Designed runs haven't worked this year at all.  See red zone efficiency if you need a reminder. 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Just one play but we see Daboll stuck on deep corners and mid curls that require time. The outlet is RB slow release into the flat. Why is there no quick slant or hitch as a hot route? It was clear he has not time. 

Are you serious with this? He gets hit from behind by the blind side rusher within 3 seconds. Why would he think to throw a check down 2 seconds after the snap? It's an impossible situation. An offense can't live and die on short routes and check downs. But our offensive line can't hold up long enough for deep routes to develop.

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Take JA out of the equation on running stats. Just use our 2 primary backs. Then where do we rank?  Half the time Josh is running for his life. Our terrible OL has already collapsed. I love the idea of occassionally using Josh as a running weapon but Daboll uses him constantly because he knows our OL/RB combo is worthless. One of these plays has going to get popped and be out for the season. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

3 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

When I look at that video I see 3 WR running 15-20 yard plus routes, by the time The TE and back flare out the Line had collapsed. I think given the game of the line not holding up , our WR routes need to be shorter or faster..

Bingo and this is a very common play design. You need a quick option for Allen or his only choice is to scramble. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Well I think this is a little misleading because much of that is due to Allen running.

The Bills are gaining on average ~120 ypg, 11th in the league

Allen contributes on average ~40 ypg

The order of teams would shift a fair bit if the QB contributions were subtracted (and not necessarily on the teams you might think, either)

For example, the Ravens are #1 in the league for rushing, but Lamar Jackson contributes 75 of their 160 ypg.  Without him, they gain 85 ypg or 5 more ypg than Buffalo achieves without Allen's contributions.

18 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Part of the reason why teams are able to drop into coverage and prevent our passing game from being what it used to be is because they can stop the run with their front 4 and typically stop it for losses or 1 or 2 yard gains. That's pathetic honestly...5 guys blocking 4 and we still get no push at all.

Judging by today's presser, I don't think Coach McDermott would disagree with you.

• Like (+1) 2

Allen has never been a QB that gets the ball out quickly. He extends the play and tries to allow for routes to develop.

Sometimes it hurts you, but often times it helps you. He is never going to be a guy who consistently gets the ball out in 2 seconds. That's not who he is.

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Take JA out of the equation on running stats. Just use our 2 primary backs. Then where do we rank?

That's a tougher question than you might believe to answer, because you would have to find and remove the contribution of QB rushes from all of the teams, and it's not always obvious which teams those are.

For example, Ravens are durrr of course, but Murray actually doesn't contribute that many of the Cardinals rushing yards, while Fields does contribute a lot for the Bears.

The order shifts around substantially.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Or they  just don’t  run the ball enough with the right people 

Josh is pretty much the leading rusher. 

if they have to “spy” on Josh 

someone will get open. 

He should of had more designed runs over the Pass first mentality that Daboll insists on. 

different teams need different strategies 

39 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I don't think we're a very good run team. 

Moss stinks, so you're shoveling carries into a landfill if he is your primary back. 

Singletary has a great average, but it seems we never see him get more than 10-carries, so hard to tell how efficient giving him that many snaps really is. 

Right now Allen is 1/3rd of our run output (Singletary 355, Moss 233 yards, Allen 319 yards).  

Just now, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I don't think we're a very good run team. 

Moss stinks, so you're shoveling carries into a landfill if he is your primary back. 

Singletary has a great average, but it seems we never see him get more than 10-carries, so hard to tell how efficient giving him that many snaps really is. 

Right now Allen is 1/3rd of our run output (Singletary 355, Moss 233 yards, Allen 319 yards).  

I respectfully disagree re: Moss.

Totally agree that we don't see enough Singletary.  The (lazy) narrative is that he "can't handle," more carries, but that has literally never been proven out.

I personally like RB by committee (ask Tennessee why), but I think what's hampering run success is a) a horrid OL and b) game-planning/strategy.

I'm not gonna bash Daboll.  This is an offense scoring over 30 points/game.  But I do think he can do some things to make the offense less predictable.

I'll give @Beerballcredit for the last thing I'll say.  Paraphrasing what he said:  "We're taking what the defense gives us instead of taking what we want."  I think there's a time to do that.  A game against the worst team in the NFL was not that time, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.