Zach Wilson knee injury [sprained PCL, miss 2-4 weeks]

YoloinOhio

22 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I just don’t see it.

Guy hits him in the hip just after he throws the ball.  Wilson has both feet in the air - so the hit drives him backwards.

When Wilson lands his leg buckles under him and they go to the ground.  Guy let’s go of his leg and Wilson ends up on top of him.

If he wanted to injure him - don’t let go of the leg.  If Guy had kept ahold of the leg and pinned it as they rolled - I would agree - he was trying to injure him, but he hit him and took him down and let go of the leg. 

A dirty play was the hit on Josh where the guy purposely rolled and twisted the leg.  The reason the hit by Guy looks so bad is Wilson throws the ball and then gets both legs off the turf, but that just caused his body to drive backwards and land awkwardly with the hit.

The player didn’t even take a step into Wilson after the throw - he is literally breaking down and hitting Wilson as he throws the ball away.

Plus that hit is his left leg and the injury was to the right leg - so the 2 are unrelated.

Really looks to me like the leg just pops out of there.

Guy had no intention of letting go it just happened. 

Either way, he's diving at a leg as the guy is throwing the ball.

It's a dangerous play.

3 hours ago, Calidiehard said:

Does look dirty but he's outside the pocket so no protection for low hits. 

Great point!  Still with the emphasis on qb protection I am surprised it’s ok to hit a qb deliberately going for the knees.  Great point tho , thx! 

37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That first hit is brutal, but why did he stop to get hit instead of running OOB?

I'm unfamiliar with PCL injuries - assuming it doesn't need surgery, what's the timeline?

If he runs out of bounds they lose yardage. He realized that might happen too late and tried to stop to get rid of it. 

8 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You feel bad for the kid but quite frankly he just isn’t an nfl qb I saw nothing at BYU that screamed man here’s an nfl franchise qb 

Way way way too early to say this.

IMO if he stays healthy and either the Jets re-jigger their front office to make it decent or he ends up on another team, he could be very very good.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That first hit is brutal, but why did he stop to get hit instead of running OOB?

I'm unfamiliar with PCL injuries - assuming it doesn't need surgery, what's the timeline?

Depends on how severe and the final grading.  Per Dr. Chao - most likely several weeks with IR likely.

Reading a bit on it - the Jets need to let it heal up well - most likely should not need surgery, but it can cause knee instability - which could lead to eventual MCL or ACL injury.  

There should be no need for the Jets to rush him back at all - might as well give him time to sit, learn, and maybe grow (if they were smart, but it is the Jets).

Hap - I agree with your first part - he ends up throwing the ball away - he should have made the decision a bit quicker and thrown it away and continued OOB, but we see that from QBs - just waiting hoping a guy will pop open at the last second and they take a big hit because of it.

6 hours ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Really looks to me like the leg just pops out of there.

Guy had no intention of letting go it just happened. 

Either way, he's diving at a leg as the guy is throwing the ball.

It's a dangerous play.

I agree that is a dangerous play, but to me that is different from an illegal play and a guy that is purposefully trying to injure someone.

As I said in my original post - the play could have been handled differently by both Wilson and Guy and made it less dangerous, but Guy did not look like he was trying to “take out a knee” or injure Wilson on purpose.  

Wilson left his feet as the hit came - the hit started at hip level and the jump moved it down to the upper thighs.  The hit drove Wilson back and he landed awkwardly on the left leg - which got stuck and twisted under their bodies.  The leg popped out from underneath and Guy did not hold it and he did not try to “barrel roll” with the leg or twist it.  

Compared to some cheap shots that some NYJ (and Pats) former D-linemen have taken - that to me was an unfortunate football play.  It was not necessarily dirty or late - just a bad looking result on a hustle play. 

10 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

That was about as dirty a hit as you will ever see on that first one by the sideline. That was clearly an intent to injure.

You can't ever go low there. WTF 😡

Should be fined at least.

I watch a lot of football. Guys go low all the time. 

57 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

I watch a lot of football. Guys go low all the time. 

I just try to flip it around, and if Guy did that to Josh Allen, I'd be livid.  

Maybe it's a grey area, but he still dove directly at Wilson's knees.  I watch a lot of football and, aside from running in the open field, I don't typically see that type of play behind the LOS on the QB.

12 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

The best thing for Wilson would be to sit and watch the games for the next month. Allen benefited greatly from his 4 week break his rookie year. Rushing Wilson back would be another sign at just how screwed up an organization they are. And I'm not saying this because I want him to miss the Bills game. With or without Wilson wouldn't matter to the final score.

This was my thought.   The Allen injury his rookie year was a big step in his development.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.