Week 6: Bills at Titans on MNF

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'd be more worried if it was a typical Sunday day game.  MNF against the team that embarrassed you in prime time last year should provide all the motivation the Bills need to at least match their energy level.

I hope you're right

Tennessee wants to stop our run game according to this.  Bit of a change from last year, when we didn't have one:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/titans/for-titans-containing-josh-allen-starts-with-slowing-the-bills-run-game/article_51d8c08c-2dc2-11ec-9b14-c74b48a84018.html

But could the key for the Tennessee Titans defense to shutting down Josh Allen and company begin with keeping Buffalo’s well-rounded run game in check?

Led by the tandem of Devin Singletary (55 carries, 284 yards, one touchdown) and Zach Moss (46 carries, 184 yards, three touchdowns), the Bills run game ranks No. 5 overall in the NFL. 

Allen himself ranks second on the team in rushing with 188 yards — fourth-most among QBs — and both he and Singletary are averaging over five yards per carry. His 17 first down rushes are tied for eighth-most in the NFL, and he ranks third among QBs in first down runs. Additionally, 25 percent of Allen’s rushing yards come after contact.

“Anytime the quarterback can run the ball, they’re in essence creating numbers,” Titans defensive coordinator Shane Bowen said. “They’re playing with 11 now, you’ve got to end up playing with 11 as well. It’s a challenge because he’s so big and so strong and you rarely see him get knocked back. He’s always falling forward, and he runs away from guys. He was running away from a DB from Kansas City the other day. … You can hit him, but it doesn’t really feel like they affect him too much from the hit.”

Averaging 140.4 yards rushing per game and 4.5 yards per carry, Buffalo is tied for the third-most rushing touchdowns (7) this season and has the fourth-most team carries (156). Once the ground game starts clicking, that’s when Allen is arguably at his best through the air. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, patzen said:

I'm curious as to how those stat people do their research because New England in 2007 had a better point differential over a 4 game winning streak than us. It was only by one point but it still happened. In week 7 they beat Miami 49-28 (21 pts), week 8 Wash 52-7 (45 pts), week 9 Indy 24-20 (4 pts), week 10 bye, week 11 Buffalo 56-10 (46 pts). Add up those point differences and you get 116. We've outscored our last four opponents by 115 points. So we just missed out I guess. 

Perhaps the bye week in your example disqualifies the Pats on some level? Maybe...eff them and they can just suffer the indignity of not owning this particular record? 

I mean, ya hate to see it. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hope you're right

Tennessee wants to stop our run game according to this.  Bit of a change from last year, when we didn't have one:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/titans/for-titans-containing-josh-allen-starts-with-slowing-the-bills-run-game/article_51d8c08c-2dc2-11ec-9b14-c74b48a84018.html

So...do the Titans want to stop "our run game" overall, as posited in your article summary, or...are they saying (in the actual quote you cite from the Titans DC) what every opponent continues to say leading up to facing the Bills, which is that they need to stop JOSH ALLEN'S running? The DC (in that quote cited...I'm about to actually read the entire piece) is repeating tired tropes about Allen being a big QB who functions like an RB blah blah blah. 

Didn't we hear that exact same thing in the leadup to last week's game? (Now I'll read the actual article in its full context.) 

Edit: looking at the actual published piece, there isn't a single primary source indicating an emphasis on stopping the Bills running game. The actual quotes are about Allen's tools exclusively (obviously his running is part of that). 

Edited by Richard Noggin

1 hour ago, patzen said:

I'm curious as to how those stat people do their research because New England in 2007 had a better point differential over a 4 game winning streak than us. It was only by one point but it still happened. In week 7 they beat Miami 49-28 (21 pts), week 8 Wash 52-7 (45 pts), week 9 Indy 24-20 (4 pts), week 10 bye, week 11 Buffalo 56-10 (46 pts). Add up those point differences and you get 116. We've outscored our last four opponents by 115 points. So we just missed out I guess. 

Hmmm, Idk, either you're off or they are somewhere maybe? Or was somehow missed? I'm not sure, but if you are correct here then that's not quite 7 decades lol

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

18 minutes ago, billsherd said:

Sanders is a well spoken guy,  very good signing. He has brought that experience which will be crucial down the road.

Yeah a really good veteran WR that obviously has plenty left in the tank, which is what I expected when signed. I felt he would be an improvement over Brown from the start and he has been. I liked Brown alot, but was very confident he would be a better #2 with Diggs. Great signing

5 hours ago, patzen said:

You are correct.  I went and looked at that season and the Pats avg margin of victory over those four games is 29 points.  Then I went and read the article attached to the tweet.  At the end of the article it was corrected...

After we posted this item, a reader pointed out that the tweet from the Bills was incorrect: During the 2007 Patriots’ 16-0 season, they had a four-game winning streak at one point during that season in which their average margin of victory was 29.0 points.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I was calm during KC week here in MO.

I must admit, I'm starting to get nervous.  With all this talk of "More dominant than any NFL team has been", Baldy "Can anyone beat the Bills", an extra half day to prepare since the Bills didn't get home until like 5 am Monday...you just know that Meathead and the Henries would just LOVE to help the Bills "lay an egg" and embarrass themselves on National TV.

I just hope and pray our Boys in Blue have their heads on straight and are "taking care of business".

TBH if they weren't thinking past the Houston game to KC, which I thought they would be, and absolutely dominated them I think they have the perfect mindset and Josh is leading it in the media by not biting on "Big games".

Edited by TBBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

You are correct.  I went and looked at that season and the Pats avg margin of victory over those four games is 29 points.  Then I went and read the article attached to the tweet.  At the end of the article it was corrected...

I wonder if the person who made the original tweet searched a database and entered 4 weeks as a parameter....not considering the possibility of a bye.

3 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

I wonder if the person who made the original tweet searched a database and entered 4 weeks as a parameter....not considering the possibility of a bye.

That was the first reaction I had.  NE did it over 5 calendar weeks.  Simple math error.  We can fix it this week.  🙂 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I was calm during KC week here in MO.

I must admit, I'm starting to get nervous.  With all this talk of "More dominant than any NFL team has been", Baldy "Can anyone beat the Bills", an extra half day to prepare since the Bills didn't get home until like 5 am Monday...you just know that Meathead and the Henries would just LOVE to help the Bills "lay an egg" and embarrass themselves on National TV.

I just hope and pray our Boys in Blue have their heads on straight and are "taking care of business".

I think our boys remember last year all too well and take care of things this year.  TN really out-physicalled us that game but we later rose to the occasion when the Niners wanted to do the same.  Especially with the D-line improvement this year.

Edited by GaryPinC
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Doesn't quite feel right being Sunday and no Bills game. 

I’m loving it. Got some yard work done, watching Miami on the ropes in London, and get to see the Ravens and Chargers beat each other up today at 1 pm. 

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is great stuff.  Note how in the WFT version of the play, the DB thinks the ball is coming to Sanders and actually runs up and grabs both his arms while the ball is still in the air - Josh musta been selling something with his eyes. (you can see it much better in the film).

Also that's Singletary to the bottom of the screen.  After the fake handoff, he ran through the line then released to L flat as a checkdown.  Note how much green grass his defender is giving him - he believes the probability of Josh taking the checkdown is super low

image.thumb.png.798b59ecbb91eb6c576f2bbe6413ea0f.png

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.