A few thoughts going into the KC Game

Virgil

When the BBFS was strong, I remember thinking all of our strong starts to season were a mirage and every game against the Pats was awaiting the inevitable.  Every time until McD and Josh came along, those feelings were correct.  Sitting at 3-1 with the Chiefs and Titans coming up in prime time (seriously, how does this happen back to back two years in a row?!), I can't help but feel that dread I felt back in the day.  In any case, when I'm having these thoughts take over my mind, it helps to write them out.

1 - Coaching - In our last three games against the Chiefs, it's hard for me to even evaluate how our players performed because I feel like we got out-coached that badly.  I don't know if it's a mentor/mentee thing, but it seemed like Reid had our playbook in his hands all game.  I recognize that strategy and playing to strengths/weaknesses is important, but I also believe in trusting you talent and going for it.  Yes, the Chiefs can be scary on offense and score at any time, but so can we!  Stop trying to pre-counter them before the game stops, punch them in the mouth, and show them Bills football!

2 - Diggs - After watching the Chiefs celebrate the AFC Championship, I feel like Diggs is going to be amped up and demand the ball this game.  I expect him to be physical and get his yards.  We will go to him early and often, and force the Chiefs to adjust.

3 - Rest of the receivers - Sanders is known to be great off press coverage and I think the rest of our guys remember how they got man-handled last game.  I expect to see a lot of motion, pick plays, and whatever else they need to do in order to get guys free off the line.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see a few personal fouls early against the Bills.  While I don't condone that, I will understand why.

4 - Karma ain't what you think it is
Super stressed, still handle all of my business
Do the best I can, yes, I can
Yes, I am, misfortune
I know in the dark, they be lurking (why?)
Same way they lurk in your head when they get in your mind
You don't wanna know what they're tryin' to find
I'll protect your soul, uh

5 - MotorMoss - I think both guys have shown much better play in space and aren't going down against arm tackles from single defenders.  This was such a huge gap for us last season as neither could do much of anything against a 4 man line.  Making the Chiefs at least respect the idea of rushing the ball will be huge.

6 - THEM - There's only two names you think about when facing the Chiefs offense, and that's Kelce and Hill.  Hill is having a great season, but has shown he can be shut down when the defense focuses on him.  Kelce is another story and we still don't know the status of Milano and Poyer.  In our last game, we made sure they didn't beat us deep, so they dink and dunked their way down field, while also breaking off long yards after the catch.  If you watched the Chiefs/Ravens game, they did the same thing for them.  To me, the coverage isn't as relevant as the pressure we get on Mahomes.  If we press them, but Mahomes has time to throw, they will eventually get open and tear us apart.  There is no perfect answer, but let's make sure they feel every single hit after the catch.

7 - Josh - Rain of shine, we need our 43 million dollar a year quarterback this game.  He can't be 2021 or Sugar High Josh.  He needs to be 2021 Josh and have the confidence to score on every play.  He needs to be free to run with the ball, set his feet for throws, and take a couple of hits early.  This is the prove it game against a team he's 0-3 against and will play of years to come as division winners.

8 - Knox - Knox has had a great season so far and we need this to continue.  If Knox can continue to open up the field by stealing the middle seam, that is going to do wonders for everyone else downfield

9 - Pass Rush - Mahomes has legs and you can't just send the house.  You almost need to play him like Lamar, where you spread the line and collapse the pocket in, removing the rushing lanes slowly.  Give him 3 seconds, but no more, and like Groot has done so many times, keep the spy in the back of your mind.

10 - Confidence - The Chiefs are the only team left in the league that I don't believe we can beat and I wonder if the players/coaches feel the same way.  That all goes away with a win.  Beating them doesn't guarantee us a path to the Super Bowl, but we would have a 2.5 game lead, as well as the confidence in knowing we can beat them.  Of all things, that is the most important thing to me.  After the Chiefs, there isn't a single team we can't beat on any given Sunday

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 8

Let's go Buffalo!!!

This will be another statement game for the Bills, much like the Cowboys game was a couple years ago.  This time we beat the Chiefs and become the gold-standard in the AFC.

Edited by Bad Things
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

WHY ARE YOU CHANGING UP THE ROUTINE 

I’m scared!!!

7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

0-2. Not 0-3. 

Huh?  I’m talking about our last three games over two seasons.  Unless you meant something else 

• Haha (+1) 1

If the Bills do what they should

be able to do against the chiefs defense then that’s going to help out big time on the other side of the ball. If the chiefs can’t stop the Bills, their offense is going to become every predictable and basically a 2 man show. Gotta come away with points virtually every drive, especially early, with a majority of those scores being touchdowns  

25 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I’m scared!!!

Huh?  I’m talking about our last three games over two seasons.  Unless you meant something else 

Why just two seasons!

Bills are 26-23-1 against the Chefs!

and... i just checked. Bills are 1-2 vs Chefs since 2017

Tyrod won that game. Josh lost two last year.

Edited by unbillievable

The Bills should play to their strength and not try to get defensive.   

• The Chiefs are worst at stopping the run...so let us run the football and keep Mahomes off the field.
  • Our defense has been playing aggressive all year;  don't let them become timid...Keep the aggressiveness and bring the heat on Mahomes. 
  • Don't try to change Josh's. play....let him be himself...
  • If Diggs is going to be double and triple teamed, it is going to open up Sanders and Knox...They got to make the Chiefs pay for that
  • The chiefs will try to run the ball down our throat like last year in regular season.   Star will have to be a difference maker here.

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

When the BBFS was strong, I remember thinking all of our strong starts to season were a mirage and every game against the Pats was awaiting the inevitable.  Every time until McD and Josh came along, those feelings were correct.  Sitting at 3-1 with the Chiefs and Titans coming up in prime time (seriously, how does this happen back to back two years in a row?!), I can't help but feel that dread I felt back in the day.  In any case, when I'm having these thoughts take over my mind, it helps to write them out.

1 - Coaching - In our last three games against the Chiefs, it's hard for me to even evaluate how our players performed because I feel like we got out-coached that badly.  I don't know if it's a mentor/mentee thing, but it seemed like Reid had our playbook in his hands all game.  I recognize that strategy and playing to strengths/weaknesses is important, but I also believe in trusting you talent and going for it.  Yes, the Chiefs can be scary on offense and score at any time, but so can we!  Stop trying to pre-counter them before the game stops, punch them in the mouth, and show them Bills football!

i believe we lost the AFCCG solely due to coaching. I remember in the lead up to the game, the way Daboll talked about Spagnola during his media sessions, I just felt Ike Spags is in his head. And then the game proved that. 

our offensive coaching and gameplan is going to have to be at its A game. 

• Agree 3

It’s a tough out for certain, if we play with attitude, conviction, and good execution, and a little freelance, we got this, the pressure is mostly on KC, losing another game this early is a very big setback for them, and they know it, the pressure is on them.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

And how would you know that the coaches got out coached? All we see is how the players execute. It's not really possible to separate the two just watching from a couch.

I think the biggest issues against the Chiefs have been a gap of talent and experience. The Chiefs have played in more big games and know how to play better teams better. They have Kelce and Hill, two historically dynamic players at their positions who we have not been able to deal with, and, of course, Pat Mahomes who is putting together a gold jacket career.

This is the toughest game on our schedule and we might lose. We aren't going to win them all and the Bills have not proven they are better than the Chiefs yet, but this is a good chance to show that they can hang with them.

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

^ This.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.