So what is the Defensive Gameplan?

Straight Hucklebuck

10 hours ago, BringBackFlutie said:

This. You can't stop them.  Make Mahomes as uncomfortable as you can and score when you have the ball.  That's it.

Oh ye of little faith.  You will see them stopped by this version of the Bills defense.  The offense will continue to look like its just plodding along but in reality Josh and the offense are just giving the defense time to be rested and time for some strategy to be discussed based on the looks the offense is giving them.  Easier to play fast when u aren't dead tired and can maintain higher focus easier when fresh. 

They will stop Mahomes, because he is gonna be under pressure to keep pace with Allen and co.  Not positive how many turnovers our defense will incur but they keep making it look easy.  I expect that to be the big storyline after Bills end the losing streak to Mahomes and KC.  I'm hoping they shut him out or as low scoring as they can make it.  With enough turnovers a shutout is possible. That's how I'm expecting the game to go and I plan on enjoying the show however the Bills decide to make the game entertaining.  I think the revamped defense and the new pass rush cause more problems for KC then people expect.  It's like last year everyone was waiting for the real Josh to show up.  This year its gonna be when is this defense gonna slow down. And I'm hoping it is breaking some records on route to first Bills SB victory.

21 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Oh ye of little faith.  You will see them stopped by this version of the Bills defense.  The offense will continue to look like its just plodding along but in reality Josh and the offense are just giving the defense time to be rested and time for some strategy to be discussed based on the looks the offense is giving them.  Easier to play fast when u aren't dead tired and can maintain higher focus easier when fresh. 

They will stop Mahomes, because he is gonna be under pressure to keep pace with Allen and co.  Not positive how many turnovers our defense will incur but they keep making it look easy.  I expect that to be the big storyline after Bills end the losing streak to Mahomes and KC.  I'm hoping they shut him out or as low scoring as they can make it.  With enough turnovers a shutout is possible. That's how I'm expecting the game to go and I plan on enjoying the show however the Bills decide to make the game entertaining.  I think the revamped defense and the new pass rush cause more problems for KC then people expect.  It's like last year everyone was waiting for the real Josh to show up.  This year its gonna be when is this defense gonna slow down. And I'm hoping it is breaking some records on route to first Bills SB victory.

To make Kansas City move off Hill and Kelce would be an incredible accomplishment in this big of a spot compared to the AFCCG. Those two ran wild the entire game.

1 hour ago, MrSarcasm said:

Single saftey high with the second in the box to double Kelce and play the run. Need to pressure Mahomes and dare him to throw it deep- with a good amount of pressure he shouldn't have the time to do this.

Bills might have to do this with Milano’s injury. 

Even if our defense isnt as good as all the hype and the stats prove out to be, there is something to be said about confidence. This team believes they are that good, and from what I have seen, KC's Oline isnt as good as last years. Maybe their line needs time to gel, maybe it will never be the sum of its parts. I wouldnt trade Josh for Mahomes and thinking that KC defense is even close is crazy.

No doubt, you need to beat the best to be the best is real. But these guys we have are a step above anything I have ever seen when it comes to having each others backs. This defense seems to be one that will expose your weakness, week 1 shrivels my put-back, but I think these guys will lay it out and make KC, wonder if they got lucky last year.

Its rainbow and rose colored glasses for this guy, but does any of it really matter if we all say F**k KC, they about to get stomped???? 

Go Bill's! Table turning and smashing is the Bill's way!! Hell yeah!

Joe Marino brought up an interesting split on today's Locked on Bills podcast. The short version is that when Mahomes gets the ball out of his hands fast he is the best QB in the league this year; when he holds the ball he is one of the worst QBs.

More specifically - when he gets the ball out in less than 2.5 seconds he is completing 90.4% of his passes and has a passer rating of 140.9. That is, unsurprisingly, the best passer rating in the NFL in that scenario this year. And on those passes his time to throw averages 1.68 seconds.

When he holds the ball for more than 2.5 seconds, he's completing just 46.6% of his passes and has a passer rating of 74.1. That is the 2nd worst completion percentage and 7th worst passer rating in the NFL in that scenario this year. And on those passes his average time to throw is 3.95 seconds.

So how do you slow down Mahomes? Make him hold the ball for more than 2.5 seconds. How do you make him hold the ball for more than 2.5 seconds? Cover his safety valves in Hill and Kelce. Beyond those two they have nothing that scares you.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, eball said:

The defensive game plan?  Hope our bevy of D-linemen wear out their OL.

Knowing McD likes to rotate his D Linemen, Reid may try the no huddle. Have to be prepared to counter that too. 

11 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

have Tre White Follow Kelce all over the field.

Have Hill Doubled

Pressure Mahomes and make the WR2 have a game to beat you.

That may work. Or at least limit the damage Hill can do. Will be a good test for the DE corps

To express my desired plan on defense this week, I'd like to show a gif of Belichick during last week's matchup with Tampa: he punched his palm and shouted "Hit number eighty-four!" But I can't find one. (He was referring to jamming TB's TE Cameron Brate at the line.)

The main idea being that we should take the advice of the best defensive coordinator in NFL history, and disrupt Kelce at the line, while playing tighter to the WRs (and of course giving safety help to whomever is covering Hill). This is how you hope to force Mahomes to come off his first read and hold the ball, which can allow the pass rush to fluster him. 

Gotta disrupt the Chiefs quick passing game while also keeping a lid on Hill over the top. Then you need the d-line to deliver. 

Watching what went wrong in both games last year, too aggressive on offense and not aggressive enough on defense. 

So many big play KC got us on when they had they ball, looked like prevent lineup on our defense.

On the other side, shooting for the home run, when easy first downs were waiting with small plays.

This Sunday everything gets fixed. We are better on both sides, we just have to play that way.

1 minute ago, Billsfanatixs said:

Watching what went wrong in both games last year, too aggressive on offense and not aggressive enough on defense. 

So many big play KC got us on when they had they ball, looked like prevent lineup on our defense.

On the other side, shooting for the home run, when easy first downs were waiting with small plays.

This Sunday everything gets fixed. We are better on both sides, we just have to play that way.

JD helped me to realize all of this 🙈

My game plan would be to play with our linebackers backed off the line, flood the intermediate zones and don't give them the home run ball. I feel watching KC this season like they have struggled to stay patient when you take that away. Essentially I'm trying last year's week 6 plan again, hoping better play from the defensive line means that they don't pile up 200 yards of rushing and hoping that we can frustrate them into trying to force it. Very similar plan with better execution.

That plan held Kelce and Hill to a combined 8 catches for 85 yards. Okay Kelce did have a couple of touchdown grabs, but Kansas City are going to get their touchdowns. They will have 8 or 9 possessions in the football game. I want to get them off the field 3 times without points. If I can do that and hold Kelce and Hill to a combined 85 yards then I am in the ball game if my offense can just hold up its end of the bargain. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Joe Marino brought up an interesting split on today's Locked on Bills podcast. The short version is that when Mahomes gets the ball out of his hands fast he is the best QB in the league this year; when he holds the ball he is one of the worst QBs.

More specifically - when he gets the ball out in less than 2.5 seconds he is completing 90.4% of his passes and has a passer rating of 140.9. That is, unsurprisingly, the best passer rating in the NFL in that scenario this year. And on those passes his time to throw averages 1.68 seconds.

When he holds the ball for more than 2.5 seconds, he's completing just 46.6% of his passes and has a passer rating of 74.1. That is the 2nd worst completion percentage and 7th worst passer rating in the NFL in that scenario this year. And on those passes his average time to throw is 3.95 seconds.

So how do you slow down Mahomes? Make him hold the ball for more than 2.5 seconds. How do you make him hold the ball for more than 2.5 seconds? Cover his safety valves in Hill and Kelce. Beyond those two they have nothing that scares you.

Thanks for passing this along.

Going back to the beginning of Mahomes, their offense has been Kelce-Mahomes-Hill. 

This year was supposed to be the plug-in of Hardman, and that hasn’t happened much more than historical.

Drop EVERYONE into coverage including the Dline. First step back like fielding a fly ball. Good luck trying to find a spot to throw the ball with 11 guys in coverage. 😂

Of course, I kid. I like a similar game plan to week 6 as @GunnerBillsuggested. That plan would’ve worked if they tackled better. We held them to 26 points even with not tackling. Anything under 30 is a win for the defense.

I also might take a page out if the Belichick playbook as others have suggested. Put Tre on Kelce all game and double Hill all game with the others. Make their #2 or run game beat you. Sure, Tre will get beat occasionally with the size differential but so what. You aren’t going to completely shut them down. It’s about limiting the damage. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

My game plan would be to play with our linebackers backed off the line, flood the intermediate zones and don't give them the home run ball. I feel watching KC this season like they have struggled to stay patient when you take that away. Essentially I'm trying last year's week 6 plan again, hoping better play from the defensive line means that they don't pile up 200 yards of rushing and hoping that we can frustrate them into trying to force it. Very similar plan with better execution.

I agree fully with this approach. That game was really close on the scoreboard. So even if worst case scenario they rack up over 200 yards on the ground it is going to be a slower game and less points. It also forces the Chiefs to be perfect in the red zone. I much rather that game plan then the conference title game plan. 

• Agree 1

I remember after Tampa beat up on them in the Super Bowl reading an article about the path of their pass rush taking into account Mahomes deeper than standard dropbacks. As a result they had him backpedaling all over the field. They also jammed Kelce at the line to throw off the timing.   

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That plan held Kelce and Hill to a combined 8 catches for 85 yards. Okay Kelce did have a couple of touchdown grabs, but Kansas City are going to get their touchdowns. They will have 8 or 9 possessions in the football game. I want to get them off the field 3 times without points. If I can do that and hold Kelce and Hill to a combined 85 yards then I am in the ball game if my offense can just hold up its end of the bargain. 

I like this strategy.  Additionally, the D needs to limit the YAC.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Gunner, again, this is the test of our Defensive Line. 

Can the Bills win up front and get pressure? 

And when the Chiefs decide to run, does Star L make the big difference?

And to your point, you'd take 85 yards between Kelce and Hill 10/10 times. 

16 minutes ago, Lofton80 said:

I remember after Tampa beat up on them in the Super Bowl reading an article about the path of their pass rush taking into account Mahomes deeper than standard dropbacks. As a result they had him backpedaling all over the field. They also jammed Kelce at the line to throw off the timing.   

Tampa's Defensive Ends were crashing further upfield that just taking a bee-line to the Quarterback?

Might be a game where the length of our DL comes into play.  

I have to imagine Frazier is preaching to read the RPO and if Mahomes keep it, immediately gets your hands up.  Might slow down the pass rush, but from these stats, you’ve got to slow down their quick pass RPO game.  

Wonder if we see a lot of Rousseau, Epenesa, Obada and Addison this game given their height and long arms.  

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Might be a game where the length of our DL comes into play.  

I have to imagine Frazier is preaching to read the RPO and if Mahomes keep it, immediately gets your hands up.  Might slow down the pass rush, but from these stats, you’ve got to slow down their quick pass RPO game.  

Wonder if we see a lot of Rousseau, Epenesa, Obada and Addison this game given their height and long arms.  

It's a good test for seeing how Frazier/McDermott zone holds up against one of the best RPO offenses in the league.

Dline getting wins is obviously going to be big, but if they can't the more important test will be whether LBs can stay disciplined...the  'slow to go' strategy instead of overcommitting to the RB at the mesh. Secondary will be fine I would imagine (provided they can tackle)...I think they'll bring Poyer down into the box a lot to bracket either Hill or Kelce.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.