So what is the Defensive Gameplan?

Straight Hucklebuck

This is a question I want to throw out to the community here.  

Of course WGR (Howard and Jeremy specifically) repeat themselves over and over again with basic statements like: "don't run the ball", "we don't need balance", "have Josh in empty sets", "we need 30-points to beat the Chiefs" and "our identity is throwing the ball to wide receivers". 

With that said, I wanted to get ideas on what the Bills can tangibly do to slow the Chiefs offense? 

My lasting memory of the AFC Title Game was watching the Bills play 10-15 yards off Tyreke Hill and him running past everyone. Similarly, Kelce couldn't be stopped either. You look at the Chiefs, and it's those 3 guys, Kelce-Mahomes-Hill, that's the vast majority of their offense. 

I think the Bills have to make a choice and live with it: sell out to stop Hill. He is the player on the Chiefs that can go nuclear, go for 190-3 TDs. Can the Bills line a corner up  directly on him (White), and then have another player on top of that (even another Corner)? Treat him as a gunner on Special Teams?

Of course Kelce will then benefit from the extra attention on Hill, but you're trying to beat Michael Jordan here in Mahomes, and our pass rush is not going to get him to the ground. 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Pressure Mahomes.  Then outscore them

That is what the Offseason and Draft was about.  Lets see.

This. You can't stop them.  Make Mahomes as uncomfortable as you can and score when you have the ball.  That's it.

Edited by BringBackFlutie
  • Like (+1) 1

Ever seen the motion picture “M.A.S.H.” think back to the football game…, we have a doctor in the house, don’t we…,

1 minute ago, BringBackFlutie said:

This. You can't stop them.  Make Mahomes as uncomfortable as you can and score when you have the ball.  That's it.

Yup, I don't disagree. 

They get to 30 virtually every week, and I'm sure every defense has been tried. 

Wait until Kelce and Hill age out of their primes, and bank on the Chiefs not being able to find (2) HOFers again. 

• Haha (+1) 1

its our third chance to get the gameplan right in about a year

in the regular season game the chefs ran wild - Star is back and hopefully Milano is healthy  and no matter the run game the pass rush needs to be there from the front four with some delayed blitzes to catch Mahomes scrambling (see Ravens game two weeks ago)...

Could our best defense also be ball control O as the Chefs D is woeful thus far

I also think the team to man and a coach is taking this one very personally...they need this one for their psyche..

• Like (+1) 1

The real key to me is have other people besides the 2 beat you. I would bracket Kelce off the line. This involves the DE on his side and the Nickel or LB chucking him within 5 yards. If he splits into the slot then we need to have a Safety pressed on him with a LB looking outside in on him to hit him if he runs an inside route. 

The Chiefs favorite concept is an over route where Kelce drags one way across the field while Hill runs a flat post across the field utilizing his speed to stretch a defense. I think someone said that their passing playbook is like 38% of this concept in different variations and formations. 

If that’s the case I would play about 5 yards off Hill with a 2 deep shell where Poyer and Hyde have to communicate Hill on all plays and track with him across the field. 

Take those 2 away the best you can and make Helaire, Hardeman, Pringle etc beat you. Johnson is supposed to be good enough and should be able to contain Hardeman or Pringle 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, MAJBobby said:

have Tre White Follow Kelce all over the field.

Have Hill Doubled

Pressure Mahomes and make the WR2 have a game to beat you.

Yup, this is what I'm saying. 

Making a definitive stand and living with it. 

Regular Season 2020 Week 6:

Rainy night, play two deep Safeties all night, and the Chiefs run all over the Bills interior defense (without Star L). 

AFC Championship Game

No idea what the game plan was. I only watched the game live, and never went back to rewatch it. I feel like we gave every player 10-15 yards of cushion and it was simply run 14 yards, ball arrives in stride, and Kelce/Hill just ran past a shell shocked secondary. 

14 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Of course WGR (Howard and Jeremy specifically) repeat themselves over and over again with basic statements like: "don't run the ball", "we don't need balance", "have Josh in empty sets", "we need 30-points to beat the Chiefs" and "our identity is throwing the ball to wide receivers". 

With that said, I wanted to get ideas on what the Bills can tangibly do to slow the Chiefs offense? 

My lasting memory of the AFC Title Game was watching the Bills play 10-15 yards off Tyreke Hill and him running past everyone. Similarly, Kelce couldn't be stopped either. You look at the Chiefs, and it's those 3 guys, Kelce-Mahomes-Hill, that's the vast majority of their offense. 

I think the Bills have to make a choice and live with it: sell out to stop Hill. He is the player on the Chiefs that can go nuclear, go for 190-3 TDs. Can the Bills line a corner up  directly on him (White), and then have another player on top of that (even another Corner)? Treat him as a gunner on Special Teams?

Of course Kelce will then benefit from the extra attention on Hill, but you're trying to beat Michael Jordan here in Mahomes, and our pass rush is not going to get him to the ground. 

That seems like something a spy would ask... You will know Sunday night.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

The real key to me is have other people besides the 2 beat you. I would bracket Kelce off the line. This involves the DE on his side and the Nickel or LB chucking him within 5 yards. If he splits into the slot then we need to have a Safety pressed on him with a LB looking outside in on him to hit him if he runs an inside route. 

The Chiefs favorite concept is an over route where Kelce drags one way across the field while Hill runs a flat post across the field utilizing his speed to stretch a defense. I think someone said that their passing playbook is like 38% of this concept in different variations and formations. 

If that’s the case I would play about 5 yards off Hill with a 2 deep shell where Poyer and Hyde have to communicate Hill on all plays and track with him across the field. 

Take those 2 away the best you can and make Helaire, Hardeman, Pringle etc beat you. Johnson is supposed to be good enough and should be able to contain Hardeman or Pringle 

Thanks for this comment, I agree with you. 

Greg Cosell talks about Hill in the slot running deep posts. 

And if you can only double one player because the defense is tilted too much, then it has to be Hill. 

Could the Bills utilize 3-Safety looks and put a coverage Safety on Kelce?

8 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

its our third chance to get the gameplan right in about a year

in the regular season game the chefs ran wild - Star is back and hopefully Milano is healthy  and no matter the run game the pass rush needs to be there from the front four with some delayed blitzes to catch Mahomes scrambling (see Ravens game two weeks ago)...

Could our best defense also be ball control O as the Chefs D is woeful thus far

I also think the team to man and a coach is taking this one very personally...they need this one for their psyche..

Diggs watching the celebration. 

Wonder if Allen gets too amped for this one?

14 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I would rush 4 and mix in some delayed blitzes,  the core of our gameplan should be to double Kelce & Hill and make other players beat us.  Also some clean hits on Mahomes would help,  something we never had in title game.  While i prefer sacks,  getting pressures and hits are just as important.  End of the day we cannot just allow Mahomes to sit back there and get comfortable .

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

I would rush 4 and mix in some delayed blitzes,  the core of our gameplan should be to double Kelce & Hill and make other players beat us.  Also some clean hits on Mahomes would help,  something we never had in title game.  While i prefer sacks,  getting pressures and hits are just as important.  End of the day we cannot just allow Mahomes to sit back there and get comfortable .

So then it comes down to what Sal Capaccio says: winning one on one battles. 

Our DE's are going to have to play the game of their lives. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.