So what is the Defensive Gameplan?

Straight Hucklebuck

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It's a good test for seeing how Frazier/McDermott zone holds up against one of the best RPO offenses in the league.

Dline getting wins is obviously going to be big, but if they can't the more important test will be whether LBs can stay disciplined...the  'slow to go' strategy instead of overcommitting to the RB at the mesh. Secondary will be fine I would imagine (provided they can tackle)...I think they'll bring Poyer down into the box a lot to bracket either Hill or Kelce.

They used Poyer on Gesicki in the middle of the field a lot week 2. Admittedly that wasn't fully tested because the Dolphins' Quarterback play was bad but it will be interesting to see if Jordan is playing whether he gets a healthy dose of Travis Kelce responsibility. 

The “just do what Tampa did” model only works if you have the horses to pull it off. That Tampa front 7 is really talented. While we’ve improved on the dline, and I don’t see us blitzing much if at all, I’m not sure our guys are good enough to consistently disrupt and get home with 4. Plus our Lavonte David is currently dealing with a hammy. Guess we’ll see. Still think the Bills offense is what matters most in this game. 

• Agree 1

I think a key on defense is keeping Mahomes in the pocket, as the more you watch him, he seems to really like back pedaling and the find guys who break free because the DB lost coverage on his guy. Not to mention hit him as much as possible.  Also double Hill as much as possible and don't give Kelce a free pass at the line of scrimmage and keep someone by him so he doesn't gash for YAC. As KC isn't really a timing offense IMO but just relies on Mahomes athleticism, arm to just make plays. 

1 hour ago, TheProcess said:

The “just do what Tampa did” model only works if you have the horses to pull it off. That Tampa front 7 is really talented. While we’ve improved on the dline, and I don’t see us blitzing much if at all, I’m not sure our guys are good enough to consistently disrupt and get home with 4. Plus our Lavonte David is currently dealing with a hammy. Guess we’ll see. Still think the Bills offense is what matters most in this game. 

The tampa model also only works if mahomes can't run which he couldn't in the super bowl. Agree the offense needs to find it's way to 35 points 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

To express my desired plan on defense this week, I'd like to show a gif of Belichick during last week's matchup with Tampa: he punched his palm and shouted "Hit number eighty-four!" But I can't find one. (He was referring to jamming TB's TE Cameron Brate at the line.)

The main idea being that we should take the advice of the best defensive coordinator in NFL history, and disrupt Kelce at the line, while playing tighter to the WRs (and of course giving safety help to whomever is covering Hill). This is how you hope to force Mahomes to come off his first read and hold the ball, which can allow the pass rush to fluster him. 

Gotta disrupt the Chiefs quick passing game while also keeping a lid on Hill over the top. Then you need the d-line to deliver. 

I think this is the consensus. 

In the AFCCG we played soft zone against Kansas City, trying to keep the play in front of the defense, and then missed tackles anyways. Hill and Kelce just ate that cushion immediately and ran past our coverage. Guys running wide open. 

Without Milano, it will be even more important for the Defensive Line to win one on one matchups quickly and get to Mahomes. If he has a clean pocket, it won't matter what coverage we play on the back end, Mahomes will see it, and deliver. So maybe this shifts the game plan to man coverage on Hill, with a bracket, and Poyer playing closer to the line of scrimmage to shadow Kelce. 

I know there has been back and forth about who is more important, and I'd say Hill is the player that has the ability to tear a game wide open with 200 yards and multiple TDs. If that guy gets loose, Kansas City is unstoppable offensively. 

• Agree 1

On 10/6/2021 at 2:34 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yup, that’s the common thread, getting pressure with a base (4) players. 

That will allow for more exotic coverages.

It also depends how our offense plays. It’s amazing what happens when you put teams in a whole and completely take them out of their running game.

Don't let Mahommie out of the pocket.  Knock him around and rattle him.  Thats when his game comes apart.  He is just like any other QB in that respect.  If he has pressure in the pocket and continual pressure when he gets out of the pocket he will make mistakes.  Don't let Kelce bail him out with the prayer lobs.  Be more aggressive on the receivers instead of playing 5+ yards off.

Edited by Scott7975

On 10/7/2021 at 12:48 PM, TheProcess said:

Agree-- but I will go a step further. If the chiefs and Bucs played tomorrow, the Bucs couldn't even do "just do what Tampa did."  People love to forget this, but KC was absolutely decimated on their offensive line in the SB--I think they had 3 backups in. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Don't let Mahommie out of the pocket.  Knock him around and rattle him.  Thats when his game comes apart.  He is just like any other QB in that respect.  If he has pressure in the pocket and continual pressure when he gets out of the pocket he will make mistakes.  Don't let Kelce bail him out with the prayer lobs.  Be more aggressive on the receivers instead of playing 5+ yards off.

100% Scott. 

I'd love to see Mahomes react to being knocked around. 

And you're right, our game plan in the AFCCG was S O F T coverage. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Agree-- but I will go a step further. If the chiefs and Bucs played tomorrow, the Bucs couldn't even do "just do what Tampa did."  People love to forget this, but KC was absolutely decimated on their offensive line in the SB--I think they had 3 backups in. 

Completely agree. It really was a perfect storm where Tampa’s defensive personnel lined up perfectly to take advantage of KC’s weaknesses at that time. Not so easy to “just do what Tampa did” when the same conditions don’t exist (a hampered Mahomes and backup oline).

I still think the Week 6 game plan from last year is the most likely game plan that we see. Keep everything in front and tackle. As I said in a previous post, I’m not against some sort of Belichickian twist where Tre takes Kelce and they double hill with Wallace/Johnson and Hyde. Tre will get bodied sometimes against him, but he’d win a few reps too. Look, these guys are going to score. Defense just needs to slow them down and mitigate the damage. Maybe force a turnover or two. The offense has to step up and go blow for blow with KC’s O. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Completely agree. It really was a perfect storm where Tampa’s defensive personnel lined up perfectly to take advantage of KC’s weaknesses at that time. Not so easy to “just do what Tampa did” when the same conditions don’t exist (a hampered Mahomes and backup oline).

I still think the Week 6 game plan from last year is the most likely game plan that we see. Keep everything in front and tackle. As I said in a previous post, I’m not against some sort of Belichickian twist where Tre takes Kelce and they double hill with Wallace/Johnson and Hyde. Tre will get bodied sometimes against him, but he’d win a few reps too. Look, these guys are going to score. Defense just needs to slow them down and mitigate the damage. Maybe force a turnover or two. The offense has to step up and go blow for blow with KC’s O. 

Agree. I am not worried about the defense at all. The offense (and really Daboll) cannot lay another egg. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/6/2021 at 9:03 AM, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

I say double Hill and keep Kelce as locked as possible. Rush four, rotate fresh d-lineman in and hope for good pressure. If they beat us with the run game then so be it. 

Forcing KC to run should speed the game up a bit but we have to take advantage of every offensive opportunity. 

This.

And we have been more solid against the run with our front 4... although teams may break off a run or two.

If it is a game against in the elements, running and stopping the run will factor more heavily.

But like a lot of folks have already mentioned jamming Kelce and knocking him off his timing and routes, defending him and Hill and forcing Mahomes to hold the ball so our rush gets to him...

Similar to how they took Diggs away from Allen. You take away a QB's first and second read and things get uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

This.

And we have been more solid against the run with our front 4... although teams may break off a run or two.

If it is a game against in the elements, running and stopping the run will factor more heavily.

But like a lot of folks have already mentioned jamming Kelce and knocking him off his timing and routes, defending him and Hill and forcing Mahomes to hold the ball so our rush gets to him...

Similar to how they took Diggs away from Allen. You take away a QB's first and second read and things get uncomfortable.

Is it crazy to put White on single coverage with their # 2 and let Levi and TJ double Hill?  Just a thought.

1 hour ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Is it crazy to put White on single coverage with their # 2 and let Levi and TJ double Hill?  Just a thought.

Hill is one of those quick twitch guys that will juke Levi and Taron out of their jocks. 

I'd keep White on him with help close by.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.