Bill Belichick. Greatest fraud in NFL history.

Beast

I don't agree Belichik is a fraud but it's obviously apparent that he misses Brady more than Brady misses him. And at this point I won't be surprised if he quietly rides off into the sunset after the 2021 season because (at least so far) this years Patriots are the same or worse than the 2020 squad with Newton and Mac Jones is not cable of being anything more than a game manager which isn't going to win many games outside of bottom feeders and other rebuilding teams.

But speaking of coaches in genearl, you can argue any pro sports head coach wouldn't be nearly as great without having star players around them.

Would Phil Jackson have won an insane amount of NBA titles without Jordan, Pippen, Kobe, Shaq, etc? He probably wouldn't have ever been to the NBA finals let alone win one.

Bill Walsh without Joe Montana/Jerry Rice?

Andy Reid is/was a good coach but never climbed to the top without Mahomes.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I am so locked in for this game you can't even imagine, although some of you probably remember my incoherent weekly meltdowns about the Patriots when Brady was there so it might not come as a surprise.

The Patriots were the sound in the middle of the night, the monster under the bed, the unknown terror lurking around every corner, the wet blanket on fun up and coming players and teams. Anything great anyone did never mattered, because Brady would throw 368 passes a game to Edelman, who would be wide open every time, and they would go 17 plays in 12:30 to score a TD. Rinse and repeat. Plus, NE cheated a lot and Belichick was always miserable. 

Put simply: For me, Brady and NE made football a lot less fun for a long time. Life was easy back then: NE=bad. 

But here we are... Evil vs Evil. Villian vs. Villian. Nightmare v Nightmare. 

And really, it's 100% a fair fight. Belichick made the choice to let Brady go almost 2 years ago now. Belichick has had 2 entire offseasons to retool the team to his liking. So, there is really no way to say "well, the Patriots aren't really up to the task" without that being 100% totally on Belichick. 

Thus, if Brady comes in and embarrasses NE in blowout fashion then it would be 100% proof that Brady > Belichick.

After all, this is truly Bill's team. This is his vision vs. the QB he didn't want 2 years ago. No excuses. 

Who will I root for? I honestly couldn't tell you. I won't actually know until I see the game. 

But my gut tells me that I would enjoy seeing Brady humiliated by Belichick's defense more than I would enjoy seeing Brady and Gronk run up the score in Ne and all of their "fans" cheering for Tampa over NE. 

I can really relate to a lot of this.  I'm a hardcore Bills fan, but also a general football fan.  I'm not like one of those fans that just watches their team - I get into the whole season.

The Pats sucked so much joy out of that, for close to 2 decades.  Brady was obviously a huge part of that, and I root against him w/ gusto now - but nothing like I root against the Patriots.  Watching that team flounder around yesterday was wonderful. They made all kinds of "bad team" mistakes, and just looked perfectly mediocre.

And here's hoping it stays that way. I hope the Bucs beat them handily this weekend.  I want Pats fans to start to see Brady in a different light (their "Tampa Bay is now New England South!" thing is really annoying...)

Edited by Success

3 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

I don’t see it. I think it was the other way around. Again you go 5-11 under Bledsoe and all the other times Brady was out he’s lost and hasn’t had success. I’d say Brady helped make Belichick. If Belichick doesn’t draft Brady he’s fired after 2-3 years. 

He went 11-5 without Brady when he went down injured, he also went 3-1 when he was suspended with Jimmy G. And dang I forgot the other guys name that’s starting for Miami now.  Then he goes 7-9 with steam whose talent was ranked 29Th or 30th depending on what expert you listen to.  Now BB the GM isn’t that good the HC has made caviar with mince meat. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Beast said:

Absolutely!

I have been saying this for a long time now. Show me one former coach of the Patriots* that has gone on to have long lasting success in the NFL. You can't!

Once you can no longer cheat, you can no longer win.

11 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

He went 11-5 without Brady when he went down injured, he also went 3-1 when he was suspended with Jimmy G. And dang I forgot the other guys name that’s starting for Miami now.  Then he goes 7-9 with steam whose talent was ranked 29Th or 30th depending on what expert you listen to.  Now BB the GM isn’t that good the HC has made caviar with mince meat. 

BB is not a fraud HC/GM but all these points are when Brady was with the team.  I'm sure he helped a lot in those wins.

The question (which no one can truly answer yet) is how successful will BB be "post" Brady?

The only way to answer that is to watch the coming games.  He has a rough one this Sunday and I am interested if he can "keep his cool" if

the game is a runaway.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

BB is not a fraud HC/GM but all these points are when Brady was with the team.  I'm sure he helped a lot in those wins.

The question (which no one can truly answer yet) is how successful will BB be "post" Brady?

The only way to answer that is to watch the coming games.  He has a rough one this Sunday and I am interested if he can "keep his cool" if

the game is a runaway.

All the cell phone companies should be buying advertisements to this game.

"So strong, they can even hold up to a Bill Belichick hissy fit"

• Haha (+1) 1

BB as a HC is like most defensive minded coaches in he likes to keep his team in the game aka within one score and then count on his QB/team won it at the end or his D/team stopping you. No QB is as clutch as Brady and why they worked so well together. That said BB as a GM is really bad finding offense talent at WR and TE and when you don't have a Brady guy that makes everyone else better your offense is weakened even more. I don't know when his contract ends bit wouldn't be shocked if he walks away when it runs out.

The game DOES pass some people by, as well.

Shula was the BB of his day. But I never found him to be formidable in the '90's.  If anything, you could make the case that he held Marino back, as well as poor team construction.

It's early in his post-Brady coaching career, but I think Belichick's best/dominant years are behind him. I'm kind of shocked at some of the mistakes and undisciplined play I see when I watch the Pats now.

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

But speaking of coaches in genearl, you can argue any pro sports head coach wouldn't be nearly as great without having star players around them.

The dynamic I’d add though is in the case of Belichick/Brady they are far more joined than other coach/QB duo. In the league’s freak out to hide the extent of the Spygate cheating they covered up the fact that Brady was a full-in participant. The NE* use of the coaches radio signal beyond the playcall and instead during the play, confirmed when Flutie as a Pat* disclosed it to a former ESPN sideline reporter, required of course the participation of Brady. That part of the cheating, hidden from the public, was used to give Brady info on the defense play call in real time. The kind of thing worth at least a score per game. In Super Bowls the Pats* won by 3 points. The NFL was left with vacating the wins or covering it up. They chose the latter. But the two principals will always be perfect examples of the willingness to corrupt the morality of competition and decency to achieve that which they had not been able to achieve honestly.

On 9/26/2021 at 5:34 PM, SirAndrew said:

Exactly, I think Belichick might be the GOAT, but times change. He had his “guys” for so long it becomes hard to replace not just the player, but also the type of people he wants. Everything has an expiration date, and maybe time is running out on BB as a great coach. It’s like a great musician, just because they haven’t had a hit in three decades, doesn’t mean they still can’t be the greatest. Time just runs out. 

And just like players, coaches can slow down. He's no spring chicken.

In his case, it's just that there was this debate him or Brady... and #12 won yet another SuperBowl his first year with another team. And has played amazingly great so far while the Patriots don't look serious competition for the AFCE. Belichick sure has lost tons of prestige since last year.

But even if he's not at all that great coach... he still won 6 SB in the parity era with 32 teams. I get the hate ha ha, but come on.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

the game is a runaway.

Also another question, at least I have, does BB have it in him to rebuild a team completely at age 69.   When Brady was here there were 3 mini rebuilds. (The second one was getting Moss and Welker). Does BB have anything left in the tank do it a 4th time with a completely new QB?  Only time knows, 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

Except Tom went on to do Tom things without Bill. Bill hasn’t seemed to be able to do the same. I’m as surprised as anyone, I thought for sure Bill would come out on top in that divorce. He still may, but we haven’t seen it yet. 

There's no way of actually knowing this but I don't think Tom would have become as great as he's become without Belichick and his coaching staff.  

But at this point, yeah, Brady doesn't need Bill anymore. 

But let's not fail to mention the good coaches and players that surround Brady in Tampa.  Brady does  need a good supporting cast and he's found one.

Bill, like any HC, needs a good QB and he has not found one.  Since he also functions as the GM, that's squarely on his shoulders.  In fact, it's his fault Brady left.  

I know the media will focus on Brady vs Belichick this week.

Here is what I am hoping for and will be rooting for.

I want to see Gronkowski go OFF on NE.  I want Gronk to have 3 TDs and 150 yards.  I want NE fans to feel what it is like to lose to that TE.  I want Gronk running wild on them.  I want them helpless to cover and stop him and know the havoc he can wreck on defenses.

They are all focused on Brady coming back.  They are sleeping on Gronk and they shouldn't be..