Going to my 1st Regular Season Bills game in years

Jerry Jabber

I’ve been to a bunch of preseason games over the years whenever we come up for the Erie County Fair, but this weekend will be the first regular season Bills game I’ve been to in 25 years and my son’s first regular season Bills game in Buffalo. Last regular season game I went to was in Oct 1996 vs the Colts, Todd Collins was starting in place of Jim Kelly and the Bills won in OT. I was home on leave at that time before getting stationed in Japan for a year.

What is a good time to get to the parking lot? I never tailgated before and plan on to this time. 

When is a good time to go to the gates to get inside the stadium?

Also, if there are unruly fans around causing problems, is there a number I can call or text?

Thanks everyone!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I’ve been to a bunch of preseason games over the years whenever we come up for the Erie County Fair, but this weekend will be the first regular season Bills game I’ve been to in 25 years and my son’s first regular season Bills game in Buffalo. Last regular season game I went to was in Oct 1996 vs the Colts, Todd Collins was starting in place of Jim Kelly and the Bills won in OT. I was home on leave at that time before getting stationed in Japan for a year.

What is a good time to get to the parking lot? I never tailgated before and plan on to this time. 

Also, if there are unruly fans around causing problems, is there a number I can call or text?

Thanks everyone!

If your wearing Bills gear you have nothing to worry about.

If your decked out in WTF colors then you may receive a few verbal jabs

Gates open at 11:30

Buffalo Bills Highmark Stadium Gate Entry and Permitted Items | Highmark Stadium | Buffalo Bills - buffalobills.com

The snitch lines are

Text: (716) 588-1960

Call: (716) 312-8933

BTW Jabber you need at least one Jab to enter the stadium ;)

Edited by JMF2006
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

If your wearing Bills gear you have nothing to worry about.

If your decked out in WTF colors then you may receive a few verbal jabs

Gates open at 11:30

Buffalo Bills Highmark Stadium Gate Entry and Permitted Items | Highmark Stadium | Buffalo Bills - buffalobills.com

The snitch lines are

Text: (716) 588-1960

Call: (716) 312-8933

BTW Jabber you need at least one Jab to enter the stadium ;)

I’m originally from South Buffalo, even though I live in WTF territory, I’m not a WTF fan. I’ll be wearing either my Allen jersey or one of my old Bills jerseys from the 90’s [Spielman or Flutie]. 

Thanks for the info!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Jerry Jabber said:

I’m originally from South Buffalo, even though I live in WTF territory, I’m not a WTF fan. I’ll be wearing either my Allen jersey or one of my old Bills jerseys from the 90’s [Spielman or Flutie]. 

Thanks for the info!

Don't wear the Flutie....just saying ;)

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Don't wear the Flutie....just saying ;)

I still don’t get the Flutie hate by some fans. Flutie wasn’t great, but for the O-line the Bills had at that time, they needed a mobile/durable QB. Everytime Johnson got hit, he was out of the game (not to mention he wasn’t that good).

Edited by Jerry Jabber
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Jabber said:

I still don’t get the Flutie hate by some fans. Flutie wasn’t great, but for the O-line the Bills had at that time, they needed a mobile/durable QB. Everytime Johnson got hit, he was out of the game (not to mention he wasn’t that good).

I don't hate Flutie but...

Our defense in those days was really good.  Flutie would play like crap for 3 quarters but we'd still be in the game because of the D.  Then Flutie would do something amazing in the 4th quarter.  We'd win.  And Flutie would be named the conquering hero.  I'd cheer the win but still be annoyed at the Flutie mania.   

Anyway, have fun at the game.  Living in Georgia, Korea, San Francisco, Seattle and now KC these past many years, I haven't  been to a game in OP since the MNF game when OJ got hurt.  I wish I could be at the game with you.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Agree 1

Thanks for the info!

I live in VA and came up for the last Redskins game in 2019. Went to the Anchor Bar and some nice locals asked us where we were from. Told them VA by reflex instead of Rochester where I was raised and they gave us a good natured ribbing about how they’re sorry we came all the way up for a loss. They were so good natured about it that it made me feel proud that our fanbase hasn’t turned into the football equivalent of Red Sox fans. 

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for the info!

I live in oWTF territory now but not a fan either….

nothing has changed since your last game there.

Vaccinations are required. I don’t know the rules on under 12 yr olds.

Depending on how far you are from the gate…look to head in around 1145-noon.  Earlier if you want to see some pregame practice or use a bathroom.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Our defense in those days was really good.  Flutie would play like crap for 3 quarters but we'd still be in the game because of the D.  Then Flutie would do something amazing in the 4th quarter.  We'd win.  And Flutie would be named the conquering hero.  I'd cheer the win but still be annoyed at the Flutie mania.   

Anyway, have fun at the game.  Living in Georgia, Korea, San Francisco, Seattle and now KC these past many years, I haven't  been to a game in OP since the MNF game when OJ got hurt.  I wish I could be at the game with you.

I agree, it’s too bad we didn’t have a better QB during that time. 

Were you in the military? I left Buffalo when I joined the Marines in 1996. I hear ya about being an out of town fan for so many years. All the crap we’ve gotten from other teams fans over the years “How bout the four Superbowl’s,” “Your team is moving to LA,” “Your team is moving to Toronto.”

Hope you can come back for a game sometime!

14 minutes ago, benderbender said:

I live in VA and came up for the last Redskins game in 2019. Went to the Anchor Bar and some nice locals asked us where we were from. Told them VA by reflex instead of Rochester where I was raised and they gave us a good natured ribbing about how they’re sorry we came all the way up for a loss. They were so good natured about it that it made me feel proud that our fanbase hasn’t turned into the football equivalent of Red Sox fans. 

Same here, I’m in Fredericksburg. I always say I’m originally from South Buffalo. Glad to hear people weren’t too vicious towards you.

16 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

I live in oWTF territory now but not a fan either….

nothing has changed since your last game there.

Vaccinations are required. I don’t know the rules on under 12 yr olds.

Depending on how far you are from the gate…look to head in around 1145-noon.  Earlier if you want to see some pregame practice or use a bathroom.

Are you in VA, DC or MD? I’m in VA. Always enjoy going to Jimmy’s old town tavern in Herndon. That place is awesome for a Bills game.

Thanks for all the info! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Thanks everyone!

I will be at the Washington game as well.

Its not my first game in years (I go often), but it will be my first game with my child. I was never nervous for my safety at a Bills game before, but something about bringing a child does make me think about safety, though I know that nothing is likely to happen.

Long story short, I understand your concern but have fun!

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Its not my first game in years (I go often), but it will be my first game with my child. I was never nervous for my safety at a Bills game before, but something about bringing a child does make me think about safety, though I know that nothing is likely to happen.

Thanks. My son is 17 and towers over me, but he is on the Autism spectrum and I’m always looking out for him. I hope you and your child have a great time at the game.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Were you in the military? I left Buffalo when I joined the Marines in 1996. I hear ya about being an out of town fan for so many years. All the crap we’ve gotten from other teams fans over the years “How bout the four Superbowl’s,” “Your team is moving to LA,” “Your team is moving to Toronto.”

Hope you can come back for a game sometime!

Same here, I’m in Fredericksburg. I always say I’m originally from South Buffalo. Glad to hear people weren’t too vicious towards you.

Are you in VA, DC or MD? I’m in VA. Always enjoy going to Jimmy’s old town tavern in Herndon. That place is awesome for a Bills game.

Thanks for all the info! 

live in old town area of alexandria

• Like (+1) 1

To both you guys, I’ve flown up for a game minus this year with my sons for several years.  When I started this thing with my extended family we were able to get the numbers up to 24 or so. I never once felt it was remotely unsafe for kids.  I wouldn’t take a baby, but if he’s 9 or 10 or older he’ll enjoy it.  My middle son when he went to his first Bills game, I think he was only 10, amd the 20 somethings behind us were picking him up and a light toss in the air fir every 1st down.  They asked my permission, and both my boys couldn’t believe it.   They’ve been to tons of Bucs games and Ryan was yelling out, this is awesome, and this ain’t Tampa.  That great catholic school education.

Jabber, I’m sure you read at the home opener the traffic was horrible for the Steelers game.  If it were me I’d be ready with the grill, a little cornhole game, chairs and get there by 8:30.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Speaking of Flutie...its a shame we had him when we did and not 5 years earlier. By the time he was in the NFL he was showing tons of signs of being washed  up. (I'm Canadian and had watched him for years)

He was so dynamic in the CFL for his time and fun to watch. 

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

To both you guys, I’ve flown up for a game minus this year with my sons for several years.  When I started this thing with my extended family we were able to get the numbers up to 24 or so. I never once felt it was remotely unsafe for kids.  I wouldn’t take a baby, but if he’s 9 or 10 or older he’ll enjoy it.  My middle son when he went to his first Bills game, I think he was only 10, amd the 20 somethings behind us were picking him up and a light toss in the air fir every 1st down.  They asked my permission, and both my boys couldn’t believe it.   They’ve been to tons of Bucs games and Ryan was yelling out, this is awesome, and this ain’t Tampa.  That great catholic school education.

Jabber, I’m sure you read at the home opener the traffic was horrible for the Steelers game.  If it were me I’d be ready with the grill, a little cornhole game, chairs and get there by 8:30.

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it!

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/21/2021 at 7:44 AM, Jerry Jabber said:

Thanks everyone!

Just stay at home if you're a tattle tale

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Just stay at home if you're a tattle tale

😂 As long as it doesn’t affect me, I personally don’t care what fans do. I’ve seen my share of fights at The Ralph in the preseason games I went to over the years. I just want to have a good time.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

@Jerry Jabber I personally expect this week's crowd at Highmark to be the best behaved crowd at a Bills game in some time.  If this post gets deleted by the mods so be it, but for the first time you'll have a stadium full of people who have taken an active role in doing their part to help us get past this pandemic.  To me, that's a sign of character.

I hope you and your son have a fantastic time and GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 9/21/2021 at 10:21 AM, Einstein said:

I took my 8 year old to the opener (his first game) and he's going back again with me on Sunday.  He was exposed to some new stuff, but nothing too terrible - it probably helped that we're in the 100 level. fans are maybe a little less inebriated (but still pretty lubricated.)

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/21/2021 at 5:44 AM, Jerry Jabber said:

Thanks everyone!

I hope you and your kid have a wonderful time.  Enjoy the experience.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

@Jerry Jabber I personally expect this week's crowd at Highmark to be the best behaved crowd at a Bills game in some time.  If this post gets deleted by the mods so be it, but for the first time you'll have a stadium full of people who have taken an active role in doing their part to help us get past this pandemic.  To me, that's a sign of character.

I hope you and your son have a fantastic time and GO BILLS!!!

Thanks eball, I appreciate it!

3 hours ago, Pokebball said:

I hope you and your kid have a wonderful time.  Enjoy the experience.

Thanks, I appreciate it!

On 9/21/2021 at 9:06 AM, Jerry Jabber said:

I was in the army in Korea when Levy and Kelly delivered their first winning season.  I was serving in Saudi Arabia for the first Gulf War when we reached the Super Bowl for the first time.  

I lived in the San Francisco area when Steve Young was lighting it up.  People couldn't understand why I stayed loyal to the Bills when, as a local, I had an excuse to  jump on the 49er bandwagon.  

I lived in Seattle when Russell Wilson led the team to a SB victory.  Yet again, people couldn't understand my loyalty to the woebegone Bills when the 12th Man was willing to welcome me as one of their own.

When people mention the four SB losses to me, and they do, I ask them, "Name another team that was good enough to earn a spot in four consecutive Super Bowls?"

Did the Marines take you anywhere good?

Edited by hondo in seattle

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I was in the army in Korea when Levy and Kelly delivered their first winning season.  I was serving in Saudi Arabia for the first Gulf War when we reached the Super Bowl for the first time.  

I lived in the San Francisco area when Steve Young was lighting it up.  People couldn't understand why I stayed loyal to the Bills when, as a local, I had an excuse to  jump on the 49er bandwagon.  

I lived in Seattle when Russell Wilson led the team to a SB victory.  Yet again, people couldn't understand my loyalty to the woebegone Bills when the 12th Man was willing to welcome me as one of their own.

When people mention the four SB losses to me, and they do, I ask them, "Name another team that was good enough to earn a spot in four consecutive Super Bowls?"

Did the Marines take you anywhere good?

Thank you for your service! I was stationed in Okinawa for a year, that was my favorite duty station. Afterwards, I got stationed at Quantico and never became a Redskins/WTF fan. I got recalled back to active duty a year after 9/11 due to manpower shortage in my old MOS and went back to Quantico. After my recall time was up, I went back to active duty and was stationed in Cherry Point, NC. My last unit sucked and I got injured while I was there which made life there miserable. After I got out, we moved back to VA and been here ever since. I go up to Buffalo about 4-5 times a year to check in on my mom and do work around her house.

50 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

Thank you for your service! I was stationed in Okinawa for a year, that was my favorite duty station. Afterwards, I got stationed at Quantico and never became a Redskins/WTF fan. I got recalled back to active duty a year after 9/11 due to manpower shortage in my old MOS and went back to Quantico. After my recall time was up, I went back to active duty and was stationed in Cherry Point, NC. My last unit sucked and I got injured while I was there which made life there miserable. After I got out, we moved back to VA and been here ever since. I go up to Buffalo about 4-5 times a year to check in on my mom and do work around her house.

Thanks for your service!

Okinawa must have been a great duty assignment.  I've heard stories...   

Northern Virginia is a beautiful place.  Seems like a great place to live.  Any good Bills Backers bars?  Being a Bills fan in Korea was pretty lonely but I found good Bills clubs in both San Francisco and Seattle.  Once, when the Bills were still wallowing in mediocrity, we had 100+ at a Bills Backers bar in Seattle for a game, all of us decked out in Bills jerseys and shirts.  Very cool to see.   

On 9/21/2021 at 8:07 PM, machine gun kelly said:

We arrived in front of a Hammers Lot at 7:12 AM and were about 10-15 cars back in line to turn (left) in. We crept up for about 20 minutes and were still waiting to make the left into the lot. Cars before us got stuck trying to turn left, blocking the lane so cars heading in the opposite direction were passing us on our right. It was a cluster ****! Mead was at the entry and my wife ran out and introduced herself (she’s not the shy type), and @mead107 made sure we got into the lot asap. Merci, fine sir! Not an easy deal. The lot was almost full. 

I think I saw signs that the public lots don’t open until 9:00AM.  I’m no pro, but I’ve been to several of the recent openers and it’s a real issue. Maybe it’s a little easier after the opener, but the traffic is about as bad as I’ve seen at any NFL stadium. (My sample size is only about a half dozen.) The roads aren’t terrible, but getting in and out of the lots is a total mess. 

I’m sure if you are willing to park farther away and hike a bit it is MUCH easier, but we sacrificed to be with the right group of idiots. I like to be entertained!  :)

• Like (+1) 3

On 9/21/2021 at 9:46 AM, hondo in seattle said:

‘74 Opener vs Raiders?