McDermott press conference 9/2 and practice updates

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I do think everyone was a little too hyper focused on any drops he had.

I loved the Knox pick and I've been a patient fan, hoping he'll finally turn the corner.  But his drop rate really has been horrible.  His catch percentage is 55.3% for his young career.

Compare that to an elite TE like Travis Kelce - whose career catching percentage is 71.2% - and that's a significant gap.

I have high hopes for Knox this year.  I'm excited about his potential and finally think he reaches that potential this season.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 4

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I do think everyone was a little too hyper focused on any drops he had.

He had 5 TD's week 12 and beyond last year (including 2 in the playoffs) and hauled in 10 of 13 playoff targets.  I think he's coming on. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

You can technically consider preseason games practice…. I believe it was the bears game where he dropped a ball that hit him right in the chest. I was shocked….

A preseason game is a preseason game. If I wanted to talk about a preseason game I would’ve asked about preseason game. 

That’s why I asked if you saw anything during practice. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I really think the starting job is Motor’s to lose 

As it should be.

I cannot wrap my head around the criticism this guy has gotten since joining the team.  It's never made sense to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

No man. I wasn’t at practice. In an actual preseason game setting, which is more accurate depiction of what you’ll get in the regular season, he looked like the same Knox to me. 

I was just curious… wasn’t sure if you saw anything else at another point in time. 

4 targets in the preseason isn’t really enough for me to conclude anything, that’s why I was asking. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I was just curious… wasn’t sure if you saw anything else at another point in time. 

4 targets in the preseason isn’t really enough for me to conclude anything, that’s why I was asking. 

Don't mind Scott. He was in the bathroom when they handed out the Tapioca pudding today so he missed out. He's a little grumpy. 

• Haha (+1) 6

35 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

30 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So I don't think he is addressing the issue some are scratching their heads about re: the tight end room. Knox is the starter, OK. But what has Sweeney shown to keep him and not Hollister? 

This sort of feels like not bringing in a quality vet to challenge your young QB so that you can show faith in him. Except you don't put two QB's on the field at the same time. 

I have had a suspicion that Hollister didn't lose his job to Sweeney, he lost it to Kumerow. If they want two receiving TE's on the field, I suspect the staff thinks Kumerow can fill that role. They are the same height, Hollister has 30 lbs, but Kumerow is quicker. I suspect Kumerow is a better ST player as well. They view Kumerow as a better big bodied receiving threat and provides more utility at ST. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 7

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

So I don't think he is addressing the issue some are scratching their heads about re: the tight end room. Knox is the starter, OK. But what has Sweeney shown to keep him and not Hollister? 

This sort of feels like not bringing in a quality vet to challenge your young QB so that you can show faith in him. Except you don't put two QB's on the field at the same time. 

I have had a suspicion that Hollister didn't lose his job to Sweeney, he lost it to Kumerow. If they want two receiving TE's on the field, I suspect the staff thinks Kumerow can fill that role. They are the same height, Hollister has 30 lbs, but Kumerow is quicker. I suspect Kumerow is a better ST player as well. They view Kumerow as a better big bodied receiving threat and provides more utility at ST. 

I also remember one TC report that the Bills were using Kumerow in a very different way that couldn’t be divulged lest the reporter receive a Chris Brown-like suspension.

• Like (+1) 7