McDermott press conference 9/2 and practice updates

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, appoo said:

I still can't believe the NFL is trying to regulate this. What do they think is going to happen if they don't? All out brawls? Cats hanging out with dogs? Men marrying goal posts?

It’s stupid to expect players to hold back their emotions.  If a defender has been dogging you all game and talking smack, you have the right to get excited when you make a big play.   Sure, some players cross the line, but it’s all part of sports. Let them settle it on the field.  If it boils over like the Lawson/Fournette episode, then deal with it.

Are they going to start giving trophies to everyone after the games?

8 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Why we hang on to Webb Davis and dont sign Hollister to the PS is beyond me.

Lets just be honest about it and hire Webb as a Coach, assistant to Ken Dorsey.

Maybe at 26 years old Webb wants to actually keep playing football and not coach. Wild, I know. 

I think he looked like a better than competent QB3 this year in P3. (As far as 3rd stringers go) He’s also athletic enough to be a good role player on the PS prepping for more mobile QB’s. I would suspect as injuries come down, other players get cut, etc. that we don’t finish the year with 2 PS QB’s. At the very least only one of those guys will probably be on the Bills roster/PS in 2022z 

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Is it just me or do other starting TE's in the league also drop balls from time to time

I am old and getting senile but I seem to remember that

They do, but 3 drops on only 44 targets (6.8%) is far higher than league average.  Diggs for comparison had 5 drops on 166 targets for only a 3% drop rate.  So while the total numbers are not alarming, the data does support the narrative that drops are an area he needs to work on.  

6 hours ago, Mango said:

This is my thought as well. As posted earlier, I do think Kumerow is the one who beat out Hollister as a receiving threat. McD just does not want to make that public before the start of the season. 

We have not seen anything good or bad from Sweeney it feels. I think he would have cleared waivers and made it to the PS without issue. In that scenario why not keep Knox, Hollister, and Gilliam with Sweeney on the PS? I do think Quinton Morris is an interesting TE PS prospect. 

Hollister is vested so if he was on roster he was guarantee salary for the year which is something the Bills appear to not want to do with tight money.

Hollister will be likely looking for a 53 man roster position and if he does not find one this is something which can be reexamined by Bills.

24 minutes ago, Mango said:

Maybe at 26 years old Webb wants to actually keep playing football and not coach. Wild, I know. 

I think he looked like a better than competent QB3 this year in P3. (As far as 3rd stringers go) He’s also athletic enough to be a good role player on the PS prepping for more mobile QB’s. I would suspect as injuries come down, other players get cut, etc. that we don’t finish the year with 2 PS QB’s. At the very least only one of those guys will probably be on the Bills roster/PS in 2022z 

Webb does a lot of work in practice and film room.  He can continue to do the film work as a coach but cannot do the same work in practice.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Hollister is vested so if he was on roster he was guarantee salary for the year which is something the Bills appear to not want to do with tight money.

Hollister will be likely looking for a 53 man roster position and if he does not find one this is something which can be reexamined by Bills.

He’s a Jaguar

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That almost makes it sound as though Hollister, with his friendship and prior "chemistry" with Josh, was indeed signed as a "shot across the bows" to Knox, so now Knox got the message and leveled up so we didn't need him.

I just don't understand why we couldn't have two OK to good TE on the roster, so that if Knox is injured we have someone to put in the game who is not a big step down. 

Maybe Sweeney has developed and is That Guy as well as "all that" as a blocker. I'd just feel better about it if we'd actually SEEN this in PS or open practices.  It's not that he was there and didn't, it's that he was ....injured again

Outstanding post.  To take a step, IMO, we need a TE where teams say "we've got to stop him from going off".  We all hope Knox becomes that thing, but right now he is simply not a guy other teams fear.

I don’t see the obsession is with having to have a TE when you can have 4 great WRs on the field and you are 6 deep there. They threaten all levels of the field more and we aren’t a power running team anyway. 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They do, but 3 drops on only 44 targets (6.8%) is far higher than league average.  Diggs for comparison had 5 drops on 166 targets for only a 3% drop rate.  So while the total numbers are not alarming, the data does support the narrative that drops are an area he needs to work on.  

Well lets see him in actual games this season

2 hours ago, Mango said:

I think he'd cost considerably more as a coach as well. Aren't PS players like 200k a year?

2 hours ago, Locomark said:

I don’t see the obsession is with having to have a TE when you can have 4 great WRs on the field and you are 6 deep there. They threaten all levels of the field more and we aren’t a power running team anyway. 

Well, when your TE has blocking assignments in the run game or the pass game and he whiffs them badly, your run play gets blown up in the backfield and your QB gets hit.  Knox's blocking has been just as inconsistent as his receiving.  He can really take a guy out of a play, or he can totally whiff.  Or his 3rd alternative, fail to understand who TF he's actually supposed to be blocking given a defensive shift.

After last season, Knox had as much need to level up there as anyplace else.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, SWATeam said:

Knox is coming for all you haters.

Crow sandwiches forthcoming.   

I for one would happily devour my crow sandwich if McDermott is speaking truth that Knox has had a great camp, has shown good development, is earning Josh Allen's trust, and has his "best football" ahead of him this season.

Apologies if already posted, but better to post 2x than miss this stuff