Views from the Opposition City - week 1 Pittsburgh

Lothar

On 8/30/2021 at 8:46 PM, Lothar said:

Pitt Tribune writer thinks Bills will lose to Steelers because they are "disheveled" due to Covid. A couple other tidbits about problems along their offensive line and their linebackers.

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden-steelers-will-beat-disheveled-bills-in-week-1/

The Steelers will beat host Buffalo in the opener. The constant covid debate surrounding the Bills has them disheveled. The Steelers are all football. Steelers win. You heard it here.

I like when our opponent's media feels confident. I get more relaxed.

If our last meeting was any indication, I think we take this game.

Last time we met, the Steelers opened the game with a lot of pressure packages that Allen had to work hard to beat. The defense kept us in it. Once we got up Pittsburgh had to gamble less and paid the price as Allen carved them up with Diggs.

I suspect they will get to Allen a few times in the 1st half, but he is not the same QB he was a year ago, or two years ago, etc... Allen and Dabs will see what they are doing and with the weapons we have on offense, more quickly counter than we did in our last meeting. I am also optimistic that our defense can bring a lot more pressure off the edges and be a bit better with our run gaps up the middle.

I will be curious this year to see how many teams try to hit us with more 4-man fronts and 3-deep coverage looks that the Titans and Chiefs were successful using against us. The Chiefs also took a very physical approach to laying back and taking shots at our receivers. It is no coincidence that Allen has worked very hard at ball placement and hitting our receivers on the run so they are not sitting ducks.

Not every team has the horses up front to pressure QBs and Daboll should be able to script game plans that will force those teams to bring the extra defenders into the box. 

Getting amped up for this season - Go Bills!

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I know a lot of Steelers fans and most of them have realistic expectations of this game in that they expect the Bills to win but expect the Steelers to put up a good find and be close throughout. A few maybe on the more overly optimistic (beating the Bills) or pessimistic (getting blown out by Bills).

This is still going to be a very tricky matchup and one I hate right out of the gate given the Steelers physical nature so it was probably a good idea to get the starters some playing time last week to hope avoid any serious injuries.

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Ben is Ben.  Older now, but when he's good, he's good.

I'd take Najee over any 2 RBs on this current roster.  Juju, Claypool, Dionte and Ebron.  

They're loaded, whether you want to admit it or not.

Najee has done nothing yet. They didn’t have one single 1000 yd wr last year. Juju has had 500 and 800 yds the last 2 seasons. Claypool had a solid rookie year with 800 in which he totally fell off the face of the earth the 2nd half of the season. Johnson has never had a 1000 yd season and was literally BENCHED for drops last year at one point. Ebron was also in the doghouse for drops last year and had 500 yds. 

That’s a lot of “average” to me…. Your standards for “loaded” are pretty freaking low.  

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

Healthy, start of the season Ben is much better than later season Ben. He's the one thing that gives me pause. 

They have a lot of talent at skill positions, but that offensive line is not going to give them a lot of room to work with and is going to have to hold up. 

Talent that hasn’t translated into any real

production. The guy up above saying they are loaded is honestly absurd. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I howled at this one.

image.thumb.png.08959afe17849fde1da6ca22d7f02ba1.png

Five Reasons This Would Not Work:

1. Josh Allen is an escape artist.  Would evade kidnap attempt and hurl cross-body TD pass to Stef Diggs.

(Also Mitch Trubisky)

2. Would motivate Beas to work extra-hard to evade that coverage

3. Tre's been dealing with diaper contents for several years - he'd hose off and play

4. Tik-Tok Boy's Dances were motivational last time.....for the Bills

5. McDermott is so Hard-Core he would coach in a Man-Diaper and shoot an IV at halftime.

I heard McDermott takes laxatives daily to let his body adjust to them, just in case this exact scenario happens.  This way his body will just see it as part of the process, and hold the BM until after the game.

• Haha (+1) 3

On 9/1/2021 at 10:31 AM, K-9 said:

Agree with most except the last sentence. As long as Josh Allen is the QB, he will be the key to this season and every season he plays in after that.

So what I mostly meant was we all know what Josh Allen and the receivers are going to do.  That is the driving force for the offense but regardless how good any offense is, they can't score if their not on the field and the less their on the field, the less rhythm they develop.  I don't expect the Bills to be in nearly as many close games this year though as I don't see how most teams will be able to keep up with them.  But for those few... 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsherd said:

Steelers defense is top 5 in the league. Being first game of the season it should be a good match up.

They are going to be missing Pruitt (has been missing due to family issues - fathers passing I believe) and unless something changes soon TJ Watt as well (holding out for a new contract, has yet to practice) . Their top 5 defense won't be showing up imo. I'm more worried about their run game against our crappy last year this year untested run d. I am pretty sure they will run all over us. 

• Like (+1) 1

Very unlikely TJ Watt doesn't get a new contract before the Bills game, but...

Inside sources have indicated to me the contract negotiations with TJ Watt have been halted. Citing they are not willing to make TJ the highest paid player defensive in the league with two years left of contractual control under the franchise tag. The front office has indicated they will exercise their right to tag Watt through the 2022-2023 season.

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/watt-and-tuitt.26650/page-3

• Like (+1) 1

I think we are going to see a lot more emphasis on the running game than people expect. Daboll is setting everyone up showing 4 and 5 wide all pre season long. Sure, we are going to see that but it isn’t going to be a staple. We are going to have a rushing attack that isn’t an afterthought this season and the play action game with Josh is going to be deadly.

27 minutes ago, dje85 said:

They are going to be missing Pruitt (has been missing due to family issues - fathers passing I believe) and unless something changes soon TJ Watt as well (holding out for a new contract, has yet to practice) . Their top 5 defense won't be showing up imo. I'm more worried about their run game against our crappy last year this year untested run d. I am pretty sure they will run all over us. 

they didnt last year. they've now lost their 3 best lineman from last year and their starting LT just got IR'd. no reason to think a rookie back makes up all that difference. run d will be fine week 1.

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Najee has done nothing yet. They didn’t have one single 1000 yd wr last year. Juju has had 500 and 800 yds the last 2 seasons. Claypool had a solid rookie year with 800 in which he totally fell off the face of the earth the 2nd half of the season. Johnson has never had a 1000 yd season and was literally BENCHED for drops last year at one point. Ebron was also in the doghouse for drops last year and had 500 yds. 

That’s a lot of “average” to me…. Your standards for “loaded” are pretty freaking low.  

Talent that hasn’t translated into any real

production. The guy up above saying they are loaded is honestly absurd. 

Then the Bills have no reason losing or struggling to win a game, at home, against an average team with an ailing o-line then, right?

I mean if we're going off of previous years, the Bills are terrible against the run and weak against tight ends.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Then the Bills have no reason losing or struggling to win a game, at home, against an average team with an ailing o-line then, right?

I mean if we're going off of previous years, the Bills are terrible against the run and weak against tight ends.

correct. i expect them to handle business week 1. Thats where i'm at with this team. Pittsburgh wont be playing come January. We will be.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

No f-ing way the Bills lose to the Steelers at the home/season opener with a full Highmark crowd. Remember, some of these players, Diggs most notable, haven't played in a full Buffalo stadium in front of the Mafia!!. These guys will be JACKED!!! Groot gets at least one sack, maybe two. 

Buffalo 30 Pitt 21

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

:flirt:

Correction:  Steelers defense WAS top 5 in the league, last year.

That was Then, This is Now. 

Counts both ways (for them, and for us)

i've already brought this up multiple times but the losses of Hilton and Nelson for them arent being talked about nearly enough. Its just assumed they'll be an elite defense again this year. But thats arguably the best nickel cb in the game and a very good #2 corner that are gone.... not to mention they now wont have Tuitt(11 sacks) for at least the first 3 weeks of the season. Those are notable absences.

I expect Sanders and Beasley to come away with full bellies from the slot in this matchup. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

No f-ing way the Bills lose to the Steelers at the home/season opener with a full Highmark crowd. Remember, some of these players, Diggs most notable, haven't played in a full Buffalo stadium in front of the Mafia!!. These guys will be JACKED!!! Groot gets at least one sack, maybe two. 

Buffalo 30 Pitt 21

The crowd noise will be insane when the Bills are on D.  The more I think about this game the less worried I become.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, dje85 said:

Yeah their Run game with our run D could be a problem . It could keep our offense off the field. Also Ben might be fresh at least for the first half of the season.

On 8/30/2021 at 11:46 PM, Lothar said:

Pitt Tribune writer thinks Bills will lose to Steelers because they are "disheveled" due to Covid. A couple other tidbits about problems along their offensive line and their linebackers.

https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden-steelers-will-beat-disheveled-bills-in-week-1/

The Steelers will beat host Buffalo in the opener. The constant covid debate surrounding the Bills has them disheveled. The Steelers are all football. Steelers win. You heard it here.

Yep they're all about football 

But Cole Beasley!!!

Steelers HC Mike Tomlin sends message to team after JuJu Smith-Schuster's milk crate challenge

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/amp/steelers_hc_mike_tomlin_sends_message_to_team_after_juju_smith_schusters_milk_crate_challenge/s1_13132_35760299

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/1/2021 at 5:42 PM, downunderbill said:

I have friends like this, I always remind them that Nathan Peterman looked amazing in camp, he only had one dropped pass in the first three games or something like that. I always get "who the #### is Nathan Peterman" haha.

I am glad you thought he made a good male model.  

And I was not aware he caught any passes - maybe he would make a good TE since our current TE has issued with dropped passes.

I HEARD that Peterman played a great half in SD with great passes but wrong players just caught them.