Wow...NFL attempting to make vaccines mandatory for NFL players now...NFLPA not with it

Big Turk

8 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

A mandate will never work. This has potential to backfire tremendously. Get your popcorn ready. Bring in the tomato plants. 

Lol, care to share why it wouldn't work? Sure some vets will retire. Who gives a damn.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t think they’ll find an agreement to mandate it. 
Players against can point to the successes of last season without it. If players follow similar rules to last year it already has proven success. (I realize not all players are following along with the rules in place, some didn’t last year as well) Also the fact we are so close to the season beginning makes it even more difficult 

Was last year really a "success"?  Not sure about that, yes we had a "full season" moving games around, it certainly impacted the Bills and I would assert in a negative way.  It has to be expensive to continually cancelling/moving games and help us if we cant field a real team or be competitive much less forfeit. And cancelling games from empty/next to empty stadiums is one thing, move games around with fans in attendance the cost and complexity skyrockets.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Process said:

Lol, care to share why it wouldn't work? Sure some vets will retire. Who gives a damn.

So let's step back a minute.

Let's hypothesize that the NFL's goal is to "protect their product" by not only carrying out all of the games, but having them involve starters and be of a high quality. 

A lot of viewers and ticketholders were not happy about the ridiculousness of a game where the Denver Broncos being forced to play without a QB, and the NFL quickly changed their policies to prevent that happening again.

So if they mandate vaccination at this time, when NFL rosters are almost set, guys have learnt the playbook and how to play effectively together, and a bunch of teams don't have the cap space to make significant moves - if a bunch of veterans retire at this point, will that improve/maintain the quality of the product, or will it degrade it?

The NFLPA is a balancing act for the NFL, I think.  One guy stated it doesn't have a lot of power, and I think that's true.  But the NFL has maintained a not-very-effective-or-powerful union by balancing getting what they want, with enough accomodations that the membership doesn't decertify the NFLPA.

If it's true (as various sportswriters and agents have said) that a lot of the rank-and-file players did not want to be vaccinated but went along because they didn't want to hinder their careers, pushing through a vaccine mandate that actually might not be the most effective way to maintaining quality product on the field, could cause decertification of the NFLPA and formation of a new union that would be harder for the NFL to deal with.

51 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think there are 16 unvaccinated players (0.2 x 80) and it's a pretty strong guess, given what agents etc have been saying publicly, most of them are vets who feel secure of a roster spots and have made their money.

That would mean (53-16)/53 or 70% vaccinated after cutdowns to the 53

It's a pretty sure bet that Mahomes publicly announcing he was vaccinated to protect his baby early on has a big impact on KC's vaccination rate, and Fitzpatrick being both vaccinated and everyone in his family including kids vaccinated and sitting and talking to anyone about it, had a big impact on WFT turning itself around from least-vaxxed to one of the most vaxxed.

I just don't think we have anyone similar on the Bills who is a respected leader on the team and fully supports vaccination, but the truth is neither of us know what's going on inside the locker room.

I don't think the mandatory vaccination thing will fly with the NFLPA.   I think if they do push it through their membership will revolt.  Just my opinion, for which in this instance I totally and openly admit I have no factual evidence.

I agree.  I wonder if the NFLPA leadership is under fire from the membership for agreeing to the current protocols. If so, that might make them less likely to back down on this issue.  I suppose the league could take the position that vaccine mandate is a work rule that is not a subject of collective bargaining and just try to ram it through. I have no idea what the law is on that, but it would seem to be a stretch. Also, I think the league operates in states where vaccine mandates are illegal, like Texas, IIRC.  

6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Was last year really a "success"?  Not sure about that, yes we had a "full season" moving games around, it certainly impacted the Bills and I would assert in a negative way.  It has to be expensive to continually cancelling/moving games and help us if we cant field a real team or be competitive much less forfeit. And cancelling games from empty/next to empty stadiums is one thing, move games around with fans in attendance the cost and complexity skyrockets.

Given that many people (especially in the media) thought the season should be cancelled, I thought last season was hugely successful.  I don't think any games were cancelled and no players or coaches got seriously ill.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Some people, especially in America take their personal liberties seriously. Beasley for example. 

And that is different from the idea that he will retire...how? The NFL will utilize it's liberties to require vaccination, Beasley will exercise his liberty to then retire. Other players will exercise their liberties to get vaccinated and continue to play. Strange that you single out "some people."

I think the NFLPA just says "no" and the proposal goes nowhere. Even if 90% of players are vaccinated that does not at all imply that a majority of players support forcing the other 10% to get vaccinated. Support for a mandate among players is likely very, very low. There was already basically a "vax or be inconvenienced" approach in place, the NFL should leave it at that.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

I agree.  I wonder if the NFLPA leadership is under fire from the membership for agreeing to the current protocols. If so, that might make them less likely to back down on this issue.  I suppose the league could take the position that vaccine mandate is a work rule that is not a subject of collective bargaining and just try to ram it through. I have no idea what the law is on that, but it would seem to be a stretch. Also, I think the league operates in states where vaccine mandates are illegal, like Texas, IIRC.  

Why would they be under fire? A very, very high percentage of their players have been vaccinated. The NFLPA has something like 3000 members just because a few players, like Beasley or Cousins, have big mouths or disagree with the policy doesn't mean they should change what that policy is. The vast majority, based on vaccination numbers, were ok with that policy otherwise there's no way NFLPA leadership would have signed off on it. They wouldn't just go to the NFL with a policy that the majority of it's members don't agree with.

Yes, the Beasleys of the world are screaming the loudest. That doesn't mean they represent the thoughts of the majority.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

It makes sense for the NFL. Their product isn't up to standards if a bunch of players are out.

Feel like there is some CYA going on the leagues part. If games get canceled they can assign the blame elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Some people, especially in America take their personal liberties seriously. Beasley for example. 

If you are saying the NFLPA would never agree to it then I agree with you, they won't.

That's different then saying a mandate wouldn't work. If they agree to a mandate, then the players can't do anything about it. Get the shot or retire, which I'm sure Beasley would do. And I couldn't care less. 

With the FDA approval this was an option.  I don't believe the NFLPA will be able to stop it.  Most of the people they represent are already vaccinated.  The Owners want fans in the stands. With covid around many states will mandate vaccine for entry into stadiums.  Requesting the players to do the same thing the other 50,000 people their to do isnt crazy.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2