Comparison to 90s SB teams

On 8/24/2021 at 2:12 PM, SMAKCruiser said:

Surprised people are taking Bass over Christie.   

It’s crazy. Christie is the best clutch kicker the Bills have ever had and probably the best overall. Bass is promising and all but he’s going into his second season and has a lot to prove in his career before I’d take him over Christie.

• Like (+1) 3

On 8/24/2021 at 2:18 PM, unbillievable said:

Kickers have gotten exponentially better. We expect kickers to make +80% under 50 yards now.

This is a great example of why it’s impossible to compare across eras. I think you just try to evaluate each teams relative position within their own era and compare that way. I mean, if the teams actually played each other then I have no doubt that the current team would win because of improvements in the athletes and advances in game strategy.

On 8/24/2021 at 11:14 AM, BoccesOnTransit said:

For those who were alive and aware during the SB run, overall, how does this year's talent compare? Who do you think would win if they played each-other, both in their primes?

I officially feel like I am 100 years old.

it’s weird, Bocce, because that team…I mean you just felt the plethora of superstars and mvps.  

We had the holy trinity: QB WR RB.  No disrespect, but as good as we are on offense we have 2/3.  Additionally, and unbelievable to say this, I had more faith then in Metz at TE than in our guys today.  Additionally that Oline was ridiculous.

Even though we had great defenders in the 1990s and maybe the best DE of all time I honestly give the easy nod to the current D.  I mean easy.

Is it a wash?  No, but maybe a slight edge to the 90s, albeit I hope the 21s prove me wrong.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/25/2021 at 9:17 PM, vincec said:

It’s crazy. Christie is the best clutch kicker the Bills have ever had and probably the best overall. Bass is promising and all but he’s going into his second season and has a lot to prove in his career before I’d take him over Christie.

I've always wondered, if we had Christie instead of Norwood in that first Super Bowl, is that kick good? I think it is. Like you said, Christie very rarely missed in the clutch.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I've always wondered, if we had Christie instead of Norwood in that first Super Bowl, is that kick good? I think it is. Like you said, Christie very rarely missed in the clutch.

No question it’s good. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, eball said:

No question it’s good. 

It's crazy to me actually why we kept Norwood for as long as we did. In his career, he only made 60% of his kicks between 40-49 yards and was only 2-10 from 50+ in his career which is only 20%. 

I watched something the other day that said before he kicked that FG in the Super Bowl that he was 1-5 in 40+ yards on grass fields.

When we cut him after the 91 season, he never kicked anywhere again and he was only with the Bills for 7 seasons. That tells me other teams didn't really find him to be that great of a kicker either

On 8/24/2021 at 1:35 PM, unbillievable said:

Kelly over Allen.....Reich over Trubisky

Thurman over Singletary.....K Davis over Moss.....Gilliam over Gardner

Reed over Diggs.....Lofton over Sanders.....Beasley over Beebe.....Davis over Edwards

Metzelaars over Knox.....Mckellar over Hollister

Wolford over Dawkins.....Richter over Ford.....Hull over Morse.....Feliciano over Davis.....Ballard over Williams

Bruce over Anyone.....Oliver over Wright.....Lotulelei over Lodish.....Hansen over Addison

Bennett over Edmunds.....Talley over Milano.....Conlan over Klein.....Bailey over A Smith

White over Odomes.....Jackson over Wallace.....T Johnson over J Williams.....D Jackson over Hicks

Poyer over H Jones.....Hyde over Kelso

Bass over Norwood/Christie.....Mohr over Haack

Tasker over everyone else on SPT

WR2 Lofton was getting old and Sanders is by reputation only.  Unknown but tie goes to the HOFer.

RG is also a push, but I like Feliciano's nastiness

Poyer is better all around, but H Jones was a playmaker. Really close.

Poyer over Henry Jones?

Nah.

2 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

It's crazy to me actually why we kept Norwood for as long as we did. In his career, he only made 60% of his kicks between 40-49 yards and was only 2-10 from 50+ in his career which is only 20%. 

I watched something the other day that said before he kicked that FG in the Super Bowl that he was 1-5 in 40+ yards on grass fields.

When we cut him after the 91 season, he never kicked anywhere again and he was only with the Bills for 7 seasons. That tells me other teams didn't really find him to be that great of a kicker either

Just a guess, but I think that was pretty normal back then. Kickers weren't really hitting 50+ yards frequently, nor were they expected to. I remember when Christie hit a 53 yarder in the SB & it was a record. Norwood's kick was only 4 yards less, so I think it's fair to assume it wasn't common at that time. 

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Just a guess, but I think that was pretty normal back then. Kickers weren't really hitting 50+ yards frequently, nor were they expected to. I remember when Christie hit a 53 yarder in the SB & it was a record. Norwood's kick was only 4 yards less, so I think it's fair to assume it wasn't common at that time. 

Yeah, but 2-10?

On 8/24/2021 at 11:14 AM, BoccesOnTransit said:

For those who were alive and aware during the SB run, overall, how does this year's talent compare? Who do you think would win if they played each-other, both in their primes?

I actually think these Bills are better. Certainly deeper.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BigDingus said:

It still is actually.

But I do agree in general a 50 yard field goal is kind of viewed almost normal today versus 30 years ago where it was kind of a stretch.  

The little kid in me still gets excited when I see kickers try 60 plus yard field goals.  It's like the half court shot in basketball to close out the quarters kind of thing.  

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

Thurman alone would shred this current D to pieces.

Our linebacker core can't even sniff the 90 squad let alone HOF DE. 

C.Bennet

S.Conlan

D.Talley

Talent wise on D the teams don't compare at all. O's are close I guess but currently lacks a game changer at RB. This current squad has better depth and coaching IMO. It's tough to compare the squads in different ERAs with the all the rule changes the past 30yrs.

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

ESPN guys don't seem to be impressed with current team. Keyshawn still isn't totally sold on #17. Jeff Saturday thinks Mac Jones will be Brady's successor and lead Pats on another 10 year run in AFC East. SMH

They have their script from Pravda and they're sticking to it.

• Like (+1) 1

September 30, 1990 - Bills Score 20 Points In 77 Seconds

Yeah, I'm going with that team being the better one.

Give the current Bills team a Bruce Smith and Thurman Thomas and I probably change my mind.

I think Bruce Smith alone would single-handedly disrupt the excellent passing offense the Bills currently have.   And Josh Allen would not be outrunning him or juking him.    Thankfully, no teams the Bills have to face actually have a Bruce Smith (in his prime) caliber defensive end.

• Like (+1) 1