Comparison to 90s SB teams

36 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

September 30, 1990 - Bills Score 20 Points In 77 Seconds

Yeah, I'm going with that team being the better one.

Give the current Bills team a Bruce Smith and Thurman Thomas and I probably change my mind.

I think Bruce Smith alone would single-handedly disrupt the excellent passing offense the Bills currently have.   And Josh Allen would not be outrunning him or juking him.    Thankfully, no teams the Bills have to face actually have a Bruce Smith (in his prime) caliber defensive end.

Could you imagine if we had a 19 sack guy on this team right now like in 1990? The amount of Double and even Triple teams Bruce was getting was absurd too that year and dude still found a way to smash QBs. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/24/2021 at 11:14 AM, BoccesOnTransit said:

For those who were alive and aware during the SB run, overall, how does this year's talent compare? Who do you think would win if they played each-other, both in their primes?

Not even close, talent wise.

That 90's team was the best roster in the AFC for many, many years and the entire NFL for at least the first two SB runs...........well run teams could really stack rosters prior to free agency..........post free agency there is more parity.........and this roster is good but it CLEARLY lacks the star power on both sides of the ball.    

Josh Allen is a force of nature though..........and the QB is much more important to team success now than it was in the early 1990's........so the overall roster doesn't need to be as dominant.

The 1990's teams were poorly coached.......clearly out-coached in SB's...........and their defensive scheme was weak and the offense was totally talent driven after Marchibroda left.

This team is much better coached and the schemes are better and more sustainable.

• Agree 2

48 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not even close, talent wise.

That 90's team was the best roster in the AFC for many, many years and the entire NFL for at least the first two SB runs...........well run teams could really stack rosters prior to free agency..........post free agency there is more parity.........and this roster is good but it CLEARLY lacks the star power on both sides of the ball.    

Josh Allen is a force of nature though..........and the QB is much more important to team success now than it was in the early 1990's........so the overall roster doesn't need to be as dominant.

The 1990's teams were poorly coached.......clearly out-coached in SB's...........and their defensive scheme was weak and the offense was totally talent driven after Marchibroda left.

This team is much better coached and the schemes are better and more sustainable.

The Bills had a good game plan in the final SB vs. Dallas, a game in which they were clearly the inferior team talent-wise. The players lost that game, not the coaches.

On 8/24/2021 at 11:14 AM, BoccesOnTransit said:

For those who were alive and aware during the SB run, overall, how does this year's talent compare? Who do you think would win if they played each-other, both in their primes?

The game is so different now, and I don’t think this current team has hit its prime yet. 

That said, I think the past Bills offense would have way more trouble with the bills current day defense than current offense would with olden day defense. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The Bills had a good game plan in the final SB vs. Dallas, a game in which they were clearly the inferior team talent-wise. The players lost that game, not the coaches.

Part of coaching is not having your team quit on you mid-game.   Not Levy's finest moment.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Part of coaching is not having your team quit on you mid-game.   Not Levy's finest moment.

I don't think they quit. I think that a really, really bad play happened that was pretty flukish. And then they started playing poorly even though the score was still 13-13. First, they started getting dominated on the left side of the d-line by Eric Williams. And Jeff Wright didn't quit; he just blew the tackle. Kelly didn't quit; he just made a terrible throw it into double coverage on third down when it was 20-13.  Dallas was a much more talented team by that point, and mistakes like that cost you games.