Trubisky trade value?

Chaos

45 minutes ago, buffaloaggie said:

Half true. I haven't seen the less money thing either, but Daboll was a factor:  

Trubisky: Coach Daboll definitely made it very attractive to come here in the conversations I was having with him, how he plays to his quarterback's strengths, no matter if it's Josh in there or somebody else. He says he's going to call the game to the quarterback's strengths and allow his playmakers to get open and make plays. From being able to observe from afar and see the kinds of things that they were doing in this offense and how they were putting up prolific numbers, they've got great playmakers across the board and have a great offensive line. It was just something that was attractive to me and something I wanted to be a part of. ... It just seemed like a great offense to be a part of and learn from. It's been awesome picking that up schematically since I got here.

He also said this:

I was hopefully looking for an opportunity to go compete somewhere and maybe get a starter spot somewhere, but coming here and backing up Josh is going to be a new role, but I'm ready to embrace that and be a part of this great team and help any way I can. 

It's possible other teams offered him the same contract to be their backup QB and he decided on Buffalo because of Daboll and our culture. But I've seen too many people try to say he turned down a starting opportunity to develop himself behind Allen and that just isn't the case.

Even in this thread you have people saying Trubisky is a mid-level or average starter in the NFL. He isn't. He's a backup level QB and nothing I saw from him yesterday tells me he is any better now than he was in Chicago. I'm happy to have him over Barkley but I'm not going to exaggerate his abilities.

To all the people saying they wouldn't trade Trubisky for a 2nd round pick, that is not even in the realm of possibilities. He was available to sign for every team in the league and we got him on the cheap. One preseason game where he completed some relatively simple passes is not going to move the needle for the NFL.

Edited by HappyDays

9 hours ago, Chaos said:

Mitch Trubisky seems to be playing at a mid-range starting QB level.  He is young and has the measurables that led to him being a first round pick? What could the Bills get for him in a trade? Does the level of potential compensation warrant making a trade? 

It's very hard to put a value on a bonified insurance policy for the most important position when you're making a run at the Super Bowl. We have been fortunate with Josh so far. Call me crazy, but to us, right now, this season, I wouldn't take a first round pick for him. 

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He also said this:

It's possible other teams offered him the same contract to be their backup QB and he decided on Buffalo because of Daboll and our culture. But I've seen too many people try to say he turned down a starting opportunity to develop himself behind Allen and that just isn't the case.

Even in this thread you have people saying Trubisky is a mid-level or average starter in the NFL. He isn't. He's a backup level QB and nothing I saw from him yesterday tells me he is any better now than he was in Chicago. I'm happy to have him over Barkley but I'm not going to exaggerate his abilities.

To all the people saying they wouldn't trade Trubisky for a 2nd round pick, that is not even in the realm of possibilities. He was available to sign for every team in the league and we got him on the cheap. One preseason game where he completed some relatively simple passes is not going to move the needle for the NFL.

I'm higher on him than most. I just think that Chicago offense was trash and Mitch was way over drafted. He lost confidence. This is the right scheme for him. I think we have a playoff team with Mitch. More because our team is so deep than Mitch himself, but I wouldn't say that about Barkley. Regardless of how well he did play (again, I just think this system and our WR's make this QB friendly). Mitch just has much more talent. I expect him to be a starter again. Even if that's not his best fit he will be one again. We bought him at his lowest value point. Great for us.  

It would be nice if Beane could work his magic after this season to get something for him after all he was a first round pick and didn't suck terribly in Chi town given what he showed in that pre season game just bolstered his abilities as a decent NFL QB . 

He's no Josh but he can move & is fairly accurate with a slightly above average arm a great back up for the Bllls just in case & a lot better than Barkley even though he was a great team mate .

McBeane did the Bills right in getting him but i'm sure that Mitch would rather be starting then being a back up but for now until this season is wrapped up i would definitely keep him around .

Then possibly look at what compensation he might draw after the season then there is the possibility if a teams number 1 QB goes down during a strong season run his worth may just go through the roof for that team that has a less qualified QB on their roster as a number 2 🤔  .

13 hours ago, HappyDays said:

He also said this:

NFL Network used the Chicago feed. You could tell they held him in high regards. Trubisky's burden that he'll always carry is that he was drafted before Mahomes. That's why he's out of Chicago. He couldn't match Mahomes, couldn't match expectations that since he was drafted before Mahomes, he should be better than Mahomes. If fans choose to use that expectation, 31 out of 32 NFL starters are abject failures because they can't match the accomplishments of a 6th round pick. Trubisky has the ability to be a starter. He just needs to get his head in the right place, and felt signing with Buffalo and working with Daboll offered him that opportunity. We know many QBs have physical tools to be good. It's developing the mental part of the game that allows some to raise their game. IMO, there is no way the Bills trade Trubisky and disrupt the chemistry that they've developed for this year.     

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, KzooMike said:

It's very hard to put a value on a bonified insurance policy for the most important position when you're making a run at the Super Bowl. We have been fortunate with Josh so far. Call me crazy, but to us, right now, this season, I wouldn't take a first round pick for him. 

I understand the logic but a 1st would be awfully hard to pass up, unless it was a first from a really good team like the Chiefs.  

23 hours ago, Chaos said:

Mitch Trubisky seems to be playing at a mid-range starting QB level.  He is young and has the measurables that led to him being a first round pick? What could the Bills get for him in a trade? Does the level of potential compensation warrant making a trade? 

Zero trade value-- because why trade him if Josh goes down... this is the 2nd absurd thread I am reading today

23 hours ago, ALF said:

Hope he can stay here long term, Frank Reich II

Beane talks as if its just for one year,for Trubisky to re -set his career and learn from Daboll. But, what if he doesn't play enough to show other teams what he can do? Would Bills extend him or would he find a starting job elsewhere?

8 hours ago, 4thandGoal said:

Zero trade value-- because why trade him if Josh goes down... this is the 2nd absurd thread I am reading today

A lot people hate math and logic.  The question is value. Would you take 3 first round picks for Trubisky?   Would you take one 6th round pick.  Most people are probably somewhere between those two points.   They question is where do you land.  One possible answer is “this is too hard to think about, pass”

8 hours ago, Georgie said:

Beane talks as if its just for one year,for Trubisky to re -set his career and learn from Daboll. But, what if he doesn't play enough to show other teams what he can do? Would Bills extend him or would he find a starting job elsewhere?

That will be the question.  If he gets a starter or at least a bridge contract he will take it no doubt.

If he doesn't and is only offered backup positions he may re-sign with Buffalo.

To be answered next March.

45 minutes ago, Chaos said:

A lot people hate math and logic.  The question is value. Would you take 3 first round picks for Trubisky?   Would you take one 6th round pick.  Most people are probably somewhere between those two points.   They question is where do you land.  One possible answer is “this is too hard to think about, pass”

There's more to the equation. It's more along the lines of:

Trade value of Trubisky vs. Insurance of Trubisky + 3rd rounder that should be awarded when he signs elsewhere

Edited by Reader

19 minutes ago, Reader said:

There's more to the equation. It's more along the lines of:

Trade value of Trubisky vs. Insurance of Trubisky + 3rd rounder that should be awarded when he signs elsewhere

Except you don't know if you'll be getting a 3rd round comp pick for him.  That depends on several factors, many of which are kept secret from us.

I dont feel like reading 7 pages, so I dont know what has/hasnt been said. However, two things stick out in my mind.

1. The Bills need and demonstrated their desire to sign a high level backup. If they traded MT, who is filling this role? If they werent trying to upgrade their QB2 this year, they would have never cut Matt Barkley in the first place. 

2. The talk out of Buffalo was they were doing what was best for MT and giving him a chance to reset. They talk like they think he would not be a long term player for the Bills (kinda like a wild injured animal that is cared for and released back to the wild). If the Bills trade him, I think it sends the WRONG message to players they would potentially be interested in. Unless MT said, yes I would love to play for Team X, then it would be different, but I think its a bad look otherwise. Besides even if MT was on board with a trade, refer back to my first point. The Bills WANT a "quality" backup.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

I dont feel like reading 7 pages, so I dont know what has/hasnt been said. However, two things stick out in my mind.

1. The Bills need and demonstrated their desire to sign a high level backup. If they traded MT, who is filling this role? If they werent trying to upgrade their QB2 this year, they would have never cut Matt Barkley in the first place. 

2. The talk out of Buffalo was they were doing what was best for MT and giving him a chance to reset. They talk like they think he would not be a long term player for the Bills (kinda like a wild injured animal that is cared for and released back to the wild). If the Bills trade him, I think it sends the WRONG message to players they would potentially be interested in. Unless MT said, yes I would love to play for Team X, then it would be different, but I think its a bad look otherwise. Besides even if MT was on board with a trade, refer back to my first point. The Bills WANT a "quality" backup.

1.  You try to get the best player for a position at the cheapest price.  For $2.5M, there was no backup QB available who was anywhere close to a better option than MT, certainly not MB.

2.  If they were to trade him (again I'd only do it for a 1st), it would be to start for another team.  I doubt anyone, MT especially, would have an issue with it at all.

Trubisky's outstanding performance in the Chicago preseason game certainly will have GMs around the league reassessing him as a possible acquisition.  However, there was a reason the let go of Matt Barkley and offered more to Trubisky than they would have had to pay Barkley.  Trubisky is a high level insurance policy in case Josh Allen is injured for more than a game or two this season.  I think Davis Webb still my have some untapped upside, but the Bills are all about making a Super Bowl run this year, and in the unthinkable eventuality of a Josh Allen injury, I'd like to think they still have a chance with Trubisky to make it happen,  Davis Webb and Jake Fromm don't give you that.  Beane's asking price is going to be so high, nobody is going to touch him.

1 minute ago, BigAl2526 said:

Trubisky's outstanding performance in the Chicago preseason game certainly will have GMs around the league reassessing him as a possible acquisition.  However, there was a reason the let go of Matt Barkley and offered more to Trubisky than they would have had to pay Barkley.  Trubisky is a high level insurance policy in case Josh Allen is injured for more than a game or two this season.  I think Davis Webb still my have some untapped upside, but the Bills are all about making a Super Bowl run this year, and in the unthinkable eventuality of a Josh Allen injury, I'd like to think they still have a chance with Trubisky to make it happen,  Davis Webb and Jake Fromm don't give you that.  Beane's asking price is going to be so high, nobody is going to touch him.

Trubisky is making just $475K more than Barkley did last year.  It was a no-brainer to dump Barkley for Trubisky.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/22/2021 at 11:14 AM, Albany,n.y. said:

Hypothetical questions that aren't realistic, really aren't legitimate questions.  I can pose a question like this: If Gisele leaves Brady do you think I have a chance?  The question is something only Lloyd Christmas would ask. 

Beane clearly stated that Trubisky is here for 2021 when he signed.  His response would be "I already stated when we signed him he's here for the entire season" while he'd be thinking : What's wrong with you for asking such a stupid question, wasn't I clear enough when I said he's here for the season?    

So....regarding Giselle, you're saying I have a chance?