Trubisky trade value?

Chaos

5 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

We will get a 3rd Rd pick for him in the 2023 draft (compensatory).  

I, also, hate to read the entire thread before jumping in to post.

Unfortunately, since I did read this one, I learned that (1) yes we could if we lose more FAs than we get, and (2) we no longer sign FAs, so as soon as Mitch walks, we should get something from the purposely-mysterious formula that only Bill Belichick is allowed to know.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Mitch Trubisky seems to be playing at a mid-range starting QB level.  He is young and has the measurables that led to him being a first round pick? What could the Bills get for him in a trade? Does the level of potential compensation warrant making a trade? 

We'll get a comp pick when he's a free agent next year, and everybody knows comp picks are where its at.

The level of potential warrants negotiating Trubisky into a longer contract so the Buffalo Bills can assist Brian Daboll in achieving success in his first tenure as HC.  Giving the Buffalo Bills more control over the young signal callers future is a win, win, win, for all concerned IMO.

After watching Trubisky play this provides the Buffalo Bills a very solid backup plan on the road to a Championship IMO.

Nobody wants to see Daboll go, but its going to happen one day...

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Again, it will only be for 1 season.  If he's as good as he looked yesterday, there's no way he's staying,much less at a cheap contract.

No argument Doc, but there is the matter of winning a SB and he makes us better insurance.  I’m not worried about next year as he may get a shot with a team, or not but we up the contract to $6 mil. As a lot of other teams are paying even more fir a backup.

Not sure if he gets much time at all with GB, as they are trying to figure out whether it’s Fromm or Webb who gets released or released and resigned to the PS.  I’d only play them. If on the chance Mitch doesn’t play which is great, we had piece of mind on our backup, and deal with the issue in 2022.  It’s not like we’re getting a 1st for him.

Honestly, I wouldnt do it.  Fromm and Webb are no differant than 90% of the qbs on the field in the 4th quarter in every pre season game.  If Allen is sidelined for 4 weeks Trubisky should win 3 out 4 if not all. I think its a large ask for Fromm or Webb to even win 2.  Buffalo needs to go for homefield and cant afford to drop a winnable game because Webb or Fromm played.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I agree, Trubisky can continue to play well and a other teams starter goes down I'm sure the bills will get some calls, but we want a superbowl. If Allen gets hurt and had to sit a few weeks Trubisky is good enough to win games and keep things afloat. If we don't have Trubisky and Allen goes down... pack it in.

I like the way you think

Trubisky is a good investment for the Buffalo Bills because under Daboll his value will continue to increase IMO

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Houston shouldn't.  They drafted a QB with their 1st pick (round 3) in the 2021 draft.  Philadelphia spent a 2nd on Hurts last year & signed Flacco as the backup.  

The other 2 teams depend on where they draft next year because neither needs Trubisky this year & won't trade for a guy who has no contract for next season & aren't about to sign him to a long term deal.  A team trading a 2nd is either a Super Bowl contender whose QB went down or a team that is trading for a long term answer.  The Bills certainly aren't going to help another Super Bowl contender.  

I’ll be quietly keeping my eyes on the Saints and the other QB guru, Sean Payton. If Jameis don’t pan out, maybe Payton dips his toe in the Trubisky reclamation project 

34 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I stated this yesterday in the first half thread. He will get a sizable offer next year I would imagine .. as he has shown at least in preseason that perhaps it was Nagy and not him that was the problem. That will lead to a compensatory draft pick … which is one of the tools successful teams use to stay solid.

in addition in a league where the QB is the most important position by a mile .. if Josh gets hurt for an extended period of time the backup QB goes from pretty irrelevant to the most important player. I would like our chances much more with Mitch than Fromm or Webb. Mitch should not and I imagine is not tradable in McBeanes collective eyes

You make a very good point.  I’m not sure if a team unless desperate is going to give something as high as a 3rd.  It’s short sighted to give him away and it doesn’t matter as Beane won’t do it.

it’s also likely he may not get some real chance to start, but he needs a higher paid backup contract.

3 hours ago, ALF said:

Hope he can stay here long term, Frank Reich II

Not gonna happen.  He is likelly a mid level starter in the NFL.  He took less money to come to Buffalo and tutor under Daboll.  MT saw the J Allen success and wants to know what that is all about!!  He will get a bigger multi year deal....and, perhaps, go with Dabs to another gig.

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

Trubisky is clearly the best BU QB options the Bills will have for 2021. Trubisky will likely be gone to be a starter after this season.  If someone offered a second (price for Garapollo paid by the 49ers), would the long term benefit of the second be worth trading? 

No - without a good backup, and injury to JA, even if out for just a few weeks, or a positive covid test that keeps him out for a bit, would be catastrophic.

We have a super bowl window - would hate to lose a chance at a superbowl for a 2nd round pick.

As the Old adage used to say: The 2nd most important player on your team is the backup QB

8 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Not gonna happen.  He is likelly a mid level starter in the NFL.  He took less money to come to Buffalo and tutor under Daboll.  MT saw the J Allen success and wants to know what that is all about!!  He will get a bigger multi year deal....and, perhaps, go with Dabs to another gig.

The key to negotiating a longer deal and recieving better trade value IMO. The success of both Daboll  as HC and Trubisky as starting QB has a much greater chance of happening by keeping them together IMO. Something both Daboll and Mitch Trubisky would in all likelihood agree on. 

Trubisky doesn't want to end up in another system under another coaching staff that doesn't work well for him. 

10 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

No - without a good backup, and injury to JA, even if out for just a few weeks, or a positive covid test that keeps him out for a bit, would be catastrophic.

We have a super bowl window - would hate to lose a chance at a superbowl for a 2nd round pick.

As the Old adage used to say: The 2nd most important player on your team is the backup QB

Does the Super Bowl window close this year?  What percentage of winning the Super Bowl Involve the Bills backup QB starting and winning a playoff game? 

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Does the Super Bowl window close this year?  What percentage of winning the Super Bowl Involve the Bills backup QB starting and winning a playoff game? 

Backup QB is never important until it is.  With any luck Mitch gets turned around and the "next Mitch" may want to go through

the same thing next year.  A rinse and repeat of this situation could be fun.

Bills will likely get an end of third round comp pick for Trubisky next year:

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

That seems to make it certain that there would be no point to accept a third for him this year. Personally, I would not have swapped a 2022 first and third round picks to secure Mitch as a backup. Likewise, I would not pass on  2022 first round pick to retain him as backup QB.  

9 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Without Frank Reich - we don't go to 1 or 2 of our super bowls.

As someone else posted, do you really want our season dependent on Fromm or Webb?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

Mitch Trubisky seems to be playing at a mid-range starting QB level.  He is young and has the measurables that led to him being a first round pick? What could the Bills get for him in a trade? Does the level of potential compensation warrant making a trade? 

You would be comfortable with Fromm or Webb as the #2 QB?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ticketssince61 said:

Without Frank Reich - we don't go to 1 or 2 of our super bowls.

As someone else posted, do you really want our season dependent on Fromm or Webb?

Don't really want it decided on anyone but Josh.  

• Eyeroll 1