Trubisky trade value?

Chaos

OMG, we get our next Reich and some people say, TRADE HIM.  This is why I’m glad McD is our coach.  Absolutely not under any circumstances as anyone saying that and then Allen gets hurt, and the same people scream the sky is falling. I knew we should’ve kept Mitch.

Just play the percentages and even though Allen has been playing smarter and smarter every year, he still rushes so that’s a potential injury waiting to happen.  Not likely, but you really want to trust Fromm or Webb for four games.  Didn’t a percentage of posters whine about Barkley.  So we upgrade on the cheap as top level backups are getting $5 mil.+, and now trade him.

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

OMG, we get our next Reich and some people say, TRADE HIM.  This is why I’m glad McD is our coach.  Absolutely not under any circumstances as anyone saying that and then Allen gets hurt, and the same people scream the sky is falling. I knew we should’ve kept Mitch.

Just play the percentages and even though Allen has been playing smarter and smarter every year, he still rushes so that’s a potential injury waiting to happen.  Not likely, but you really want to trust Fromm or Webb for four games.  Didn’t a percentage of posters whine about Barkley.  So we upgrade on the cheap as top level backups are getting $5 mil.+, and now trade him.

Again, it will only be for 1 season.  If he's as good as he looked yesterday, there's no way he's staying,much less at a cheap contract.

25 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

You don't know what his development would've been like with another team. Chicago just like the Jets had idiots running the show. Better coaching and acquisitions might've made a big difference for Trubisky and Darnold for that matter. I think many take for granted just how fortunate Josh was to land on a team with a staff that has competence and vision. 

I also didn’t comment on what his career arc would’ve been had he been drafted elsewhere. 

18 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

WFT, Pit, Houston, and Philly should. 

Houston shouldn't.  They drafted a QB with their 1st pick (round 3) in the 2021 draft.  Philadelphia spent a 2nd on Hurts last year & signed Flacco as the backup.  

The other 2 teams depend on where they draft next year because neither needs Trubisky this year & won't trade for a guy who has no contract for next season & aren't about to sign him to a long term deal.  A team trading a 2nd is either a Super Bowl contender whose QB went down or a team that is trading for a long term answer.  The Bills certainly aren't going to help another Super Bowl contender.  

9 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It's better to hope he signs for big $ elsewhere and you can get a comp pick, but if you sign enough free agents you won't even get a comp pick.  

I agree with the plan and the risk.  No one knows whether or not the comp pick will happen.

One good thing is the makeup of the team is stable and with the cap situation the way it is the Bills probably won't be

bringing in a lot of expensive FAs next year.  There also is a good chance that a number of Bills FAs may be re-signed which doesn't

count against the comp pick formula.

It's going to be one of those "great if it happens" situations and I'm sure Beane will be considering all these things.

In the meantime having Mitch as a backup is awesome!

8 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Houston shouldn't.  They drafted a QB with their 1st pick (round 3) in the 2021 draft.  Philadelphia spent a 2nd on Hurts last year & signed Flacco as the backup.  

The other 2 teams depend on where they draft next year because neither needs Trubisky this year & won't trade for a guy who has no contract for next season & aren't about to sign him to a long term deal.  A team trading a 2nd is either a Super Bowl contender whose QB went down or a team that is trading for a long term answer.  The Bills certainly aren't going to help another Super Bowl contender.  

The team that would give up a lot for Trubisky is a team that thinks it's going to the Super Bowl and their QB gets injured.  That's what happened with Bradford - Vikings thought Teddy Bridgewater was their guy.  Then Bridgewater went down, the Vikings were trading to save their season.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It's better to hope he signs for big $ elsewhere and you can get a comp pick, but if you sign enough free agents you won't even get a comp pick.  

This is a really good point.   Bills are going to get a conditional pick for him when he leaves.   The days of signing a lot of free agents are now in the Bills' rearview mirror.  Why?  Because Beane has said over and over that he uses free agency to plug holes, and he's now built a team that doesn't have holes.   What he will need next season is draft picks, because he wants cheap young talent.  He admitted that when he was thinking about trading back in the draft this season, it was for a pick next season.  

I can't see the Bills trading Trubisky for anything less than a couple of first round picks, and I can't imagine any team doing that.  Frankly, I think Trubisky is an average NFL starter, I wouldn't give up two firsts for him.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Can we pump the brakes with this kid? He was just a free agent and nobody wanted him. 

Not to mention, we are trying to win a Super Bowl this year, and having an above average QB2, especially given the aggressive nature of Josh’s game, is extremely important.  

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The team that would give up a lot for Trubisky is a team that thinks it's going to the Super Bowl and their QB gets injured.  That's what happened with Bradford - Vikings thought Teddy Bridgewater was their guy.  Then Bridgewater went down, the Vikings were trading to save their season.  

Spot on. 
Too many young teams mentioned in this thread that are rebuilding, they are not a piece away (certainly not a Trubisky piece)  No reason they’d target Mitch or someone like Addison on bad teams and give up picks. They’d just wait until next offseason and try to sign them (hello comp pick) You’d need a playoff team and more than likely from the NFC to move anyone of value and get decent compensation in return. It would more than likely be an injury forcing them to fill an important spot and thus having to overpay to get someone. 

To me what would be worth exploring if I were the Bills is asking Mitch if he'd consider adding a 2nd year extension with the agreement that the Bills will trade him to whomever wants him after this year.  But that would net the Bills something in return and in exchange for the extension, give him some extra $$'s this year.  Maybe it's half mil signing bonus or something??

38 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Interesting question.   There's precedent, of course, although it happened in a slightly different circumstance.   Sam Bradford was a number one overall pick (Trubisky was second), and became the backup in Philadelphia when the Eagles drafted Wentz and he won the starting job.  Bradford had gotten to Philadelphia after a shaky start to his career in St. Louis, the same kind of shaky start Trubisky had.  

Minnesota gave the Eagles a first and a conditional fourth for Bradford.  

The Eagles situation was not completely similar.  They probably thought they needed to groom Wentz as a starter before they challenged for the Super Bowl, which is exactly what happened.  He went 7-9 the season they traded Bradford, and they wouldn't have done much better with Bradford at QB.  The next season, they got Foles to back up Wentz, and they won the Super Bowl with Wentz injured and out of the lineup.   In other words, the Eagles got themselves a quality back up when they thought they had a shot to win it all, and the backup won it for them.  

The Bills need a quality backup this year, so a first and a conditional fourth wouldn't be enough.  And Fromm and Webb haven't been looking like Nick Foles.  He was a third round pick, like Webb, but still.  

Not sure I agree on value .  If Trubisky leaves the Bills next year and the Bills trade their first to acquire a Trubisky equivalent, I would be upset. 

1 hour ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Maybe we get a comp pick when he leaves in free agency

This is the correct answer, after a year sitting behind Allen he will follow Daboll to his next stop with a decent contract and that will go into the Bills comp formula.

14 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This is a really good point.   Bills are going to get a conditional pick for him when he leaves.   The days of signing a lot of free agents are now in the Bills' rearview mirror.  Why?  Because Beane has said over and over that he uses free agency to plug holes, and he's now built a team that doesn't have holes.   What he will need next season is draft picks, because he wants cheap young talent.  He admitted that when he was thinking about trading back in the draft this season, it was for a pick next season.  

I can't see the Bills trading Trubisky for anything less than a couple of first round picks, and I can't imagine any team doing that.  Frankly, I think Trubisky is an average NFL starter, I wouldn't give up two firsts for him.  

Do the comp pick rules count for a Veteran in a one year contract?  

1 hour ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

I could see us getting a 3rd round pick for him once someone like Tua gets hurt halfway through the season, or even to WFT when they get tired of Pick-Patrick.  Question is, would we even make a deal with Miami?

Go Bills!!!!!

I stated this yesterday in the first half thread. He will get a sizable offer next year I would imagine .. as he has shown at least in preseason that perhaps it was Nagy and not him that was the problem. That will lead to a compensatory draft pick … which is one of the tools successful teams use to stay solid.

in addition in a league where the QB is the most important position by a mile .. if Josh gets hurt for an extended period of time the backup QB goes from pretty irrelevant to the most important player. I would like our chances much more with Mitch than Fromm or Webb. Mitch should not and I imagine is not tradable in McBeanes collective eyes

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Mitch Trubisky seems to be playing at a mid-range starting QB level.  He is young and has the measurables that led to him being a first round pick? What could the Bills get for him in a trade? Does the level of potential compensation warrant making a trade? 

We will get a 3rd Rd pick for him in the 2023 draft (compensatory).