Edgerrin James made the HOF?

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree but again I ask can you write the story of the NFL without those two comebacks in the Superbowl? My answer is no and so I'd put him in. 

I think you write the story of the NFL without him.  But it might include others for various reasons (not their great playing career) who are not in.   Who decided we write the story of the NFL and then everyone mentioned is then a HOF?

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I think you write the story of the NFL without him.  But it might include others for various reasons (not their great playing career) who are not in.   Who decided we write the story of the NFL and then everyone mentioned is then a HOF?

That has always been my test. It is the Hall of Fame the key characters in the league's story should be in. 

On 8/8/2021 at 5:58 AM, KzooMike said:

But how does it look without Peyton?

Thurman was a trend setter. He redefined what a RB can do giving people like James a new path. The rest that followed, specifically if they had an elite QB, I don't trust the numbers. It starts to become who were you drafted by? James was an excellent player, but I still think the Peyton led Colts don't skip a beat without him and if he was drafted by the Bengals we aren't talking about this.

HOF players have to be capable of taking over a game or be responsible for a shift in play. I said Thurman earlier because like Thurman, James was applauded for his dual skill set. That said, Thurman allowed James to be James. So you can speak in similar terms with both but only one of them was a trend setter. James was never a guy that could simply take over and dominate and that should be the HOF standard. Stats are meaningless in this conversation. Could James take over a game without Peyton? I don't see it. 

No not even close. The stats are plenty meaningful in every HOF convo. This is so off base it hurts. James had 4 different 1500 yd seasons! That’s taking over. Hands down. And go back and find me another RB playing with manning that came even remotely close to James production. 

Also you can’t seriously sit there and rip James for having an elite QB and then give Thomas a nod. Kelly was a top 3-5 qb all through Thomas’ prime. 

Let’s also not pretend like Thomas was the first dual threat back. Roger craig was a two way monster in the 80’s. 

Just a really rough post on your part all the way around. Really missed the mark. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Agree 1

It's weird to me now. I am at the age where I remember when guys inducted was drafted. I'm in my late forties and haven't missed a draft since 96. I remember watching Suggs and Polumalu drafted and laughing because these dudes looked so hardcore but crying like babies when drafted. I know it's emotional for them but funny as hell to me. Damn I'm old lol.

Ha - I played against him in High School (he played for Immokalee High).  He had a cast on one arm and still ran for 200+ yards.  He was a man amongst boys back in the 90's

I am happy for him especially coming from Southwest FL like him. 

Well Deserved

Edited by CaliBills
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree but again I ask can you write the story of the NFL without those two comebacks in the Superbowl? My answer is no and so I'd put him in. 

Do you lean towards Edelman getting in as well? Eli and Edelman are very similar IMO. Edelman's regular season peaks might have actually been higher than Eli's. Both have phenomenal postseason accolades. 

I actually lean towards no on Eli and am undecided on Edelman. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed. Bear in mind that it is called the hall of FAME, not the hall of great. Eli’s two comebacks against the Pats in the SB are justly among the most famous events in the annals of NFL history.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Agreed. Bear in mind that it is called the hall of FAME, not the hall of great. Eli’s two comebacks against the Pats in the SB are justly among the most famous events in the annals of NFL history.

Exactly. Hall of FAME. To me, James is most famous for the Colts dumping Marshall Faulk for him.

Edited by Rico
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, KzooMike said:

But how does it look without Peyton?

Thurman was a trend setter. He redefined what a RB can do giving people like James a new path. The rest that followed, specifically if they had an elite QB, I don't trust the numbers. It starts to become who were you drafted by? James was an excellent player, but I still think the Peyton led Colts don't skip a beat without him and if he was drafted by the Bengals we aren't talking about this.

HOF players have to be capable of taking over a game or be responsible for a shift in play. I said Thurman earlier because like Thurman, James was applauded for his dual skill set. That said, Thurman allowed James to be James. So you can speak in similar terms with both but only one of them was a trend setter. James was never a guy that could simply take over and dominate and that should be the HOF standard. Stats are meaningless in this conversation. Could James take over a game without Peyton? I don't see it. 

Walter Payton and Roger Craig were dual threats before Thomas , Thurman is one of my all time favorite players, but he was not a trend setter, he was just better than most before and after him.

15 minutes ago, Rico said:

Exactly. Hall of FAME. To me, James is most famous for the Colts dumping Marshall Faulk for him.

If it were really all about fame you'd have about 3 OLs, 100 QBs, 50 RBs, 50 WRs, maybe 30 sack artists and a few mashers like Butkus.

It's got to be mostly about worthiness.

He was a great back, although I think his YPC is a bit lower than it would have been had he played in a different offense. The Colts ran the wishbone and single back formations quite a bit because it opened up options for Peyton by spreading the ball around and by giving him multiple receiver options. For power running teams, I think these are weak formations to run the ball out of, but it’s better for pass happy teams.

Edge was good. Consistently good, similarly to the way Curtis Martin was, 4-yds and a cloud of dust. I think consistency and longevity says something. For this reason I think Gore will get in someday as well.

On 8/7/2021 at 7:18 PM, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Thats a great point. 

Does longevity count towards getting in the HOF? I mean sure stats do but it took Gore almost 20 seasons to get them

Andre Reed was a compiler. 

I’d argue Thurman Thomas was too. A couple of highlight seasons, but in general he was a compiler on rushing and got in on scrimmage yards.