Not thrilled the Bills face Detroit in their first preseason action…

eball

3 hours ago, NobesBLO13 said:

I’m overly paranoid about injuries in preseason regardless of who they play. Your post is not helping this paranoia.

Actually it appears it is helping the paranoia.   What you mean to say it is not helping to control the paranoia.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

'Build a bully' by waking up at 12, and going to coach at 1.  Take an hour for lunch and then at 2 he (and fat brudder) is done. 🤨

Actually, apparently Bad Santa has much more of a work ethic than his brother, he just flat out sucks as a coach.

My bother-in-law's neighbor was on the Saints training staff when Otis was their DC. He apparently gave an intern $1000/wk to keep a drawer in his desk stocked with junk food. Despite appearances, and brother Wrex's well described lassitude, by all accounts he was apparently more of the stereotypical "last guy out of the building" workaholic type.

I was wearing my Bills hat in a Rouses (think NOLA Wegmans light) when one of the butchers and I started talking football and he brought up the lesser known Ryan brother and his exploits. He apparently bought wine and spirits the same way he bought candy. Seems like he was quite the caricature. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I would argue that there is no real reason for the majority of the skill players to be out there until game 3.  I certainly wouldn’t risk my best players for meaningless games.  I’d roll the starting OL for 2 series or 7-8 minutes of time in game 1 and build them to just over a half for game 3, Diggs and Allen would be in the owners suite until game 3 and I’d sprinkle in Beasley and Sanders just to give MT a fair chance, but not much.  The rest of the guys are competing, so let them go out there and show it. 

You play your starters in week two I think as there are tons of injuries that take about a week to ten days to heal.

Rest them week three....

4 hours ago, Putin said:

Why do we even need our starters to play a single series in the preseason games ? 

They don't.  No one played any preseason last year and the football was just fine in week #1.   Guys get plenty of reps in practice and training camp scrimmages.

Guys like Josh, Diggs, Dawkins, Tre, etc.. should not see one snap of preseason ball.

Well, if we can't handle the Lions in a preseason game, we have a lot to be worried about for the regular season. We have to face the Chiefs again and that's a dirty team.

What I found funny about Dan Campell is, I was listening to Siriusxm fantasy football last night and they played a clip of Dan Campbell talking about De'Andre Swift and Campbell referred to him as "this Swift guy". It was like he had no clue who his starting RB was lol

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

They don't.  No one played any preseason last year and the football was just fine in week #1.   Guys get plenty of reps in practice and training camp scrimmages.

Guys like Josh, Diggs, Dawkins, Tre, etc.. should not see one snap of preseason ball.

Exactly ^^^^ 

I would let some starters like Knox and Ford get some action in the preseason 

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Well, if we can't handle the Lions in a preseason game

Totally not the point.  I'm referring to a meathead coach trying to "instill toughness" in his team...what better chance than in the first preseason game against a legit SB contender?  My concern is not "handling" the Lions -- the game is irrelevant.  My apprehension is in fringe NFL players trying to please their maniacal coach by pushing the limits.

Just now, eball said:

Totally not the point.  I'm referring to a meathead coach trying to "instill toughness" in his team...what better chance than in the first preseason game against a legit SB contender?  My concern is not "handling" the Lions -- the game is irrelevant.  My apprehension is in fringe NFL players trying to please their maniacal coach by pushing the limits.

That's what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about winning, I'm talking about handling them and not allowing them to get away with dirty stuff. It's up to our players and the refs to not allow that kind of stuff.

We're going to be facing dirty teams in the regular season.

When you have the kind of continuity the Bills nave been able to achieve during the Sean McDermott tenure, you have less reason to play starters in preseason.  I could see Buffalo playing Cody Ford and Dawson Knox among players expected to start on offense, but not many more.  On defense, I think Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson will get some preseason playing time, as will the younger defensive linemen: Rousseau, Basham, Epenesa, Phillips etc.  Otherwise, there will be a lot of players from the back of the roster.

Seem to notice this season teams are playing more pre-season games against teams in opposite conference than past years.  They'd rarely ever play a team they were scheduled to play during regular season but in past Bills may have played a team like Cinnci, but not this year.  All other conference games.

On 8/6/2021 at 7:55 AM, eball said:

This could simply be me worrying about something I shouldn’t, but is anyone else less than enthusiastic the Bills play the “kneecap biters” in their first game?  That coach of theirs is a lunatic and in his first game as HC you can bet he’ll have his players wanting to make a name for themselves and “set the tone.”  I have visions of head shots, late hits, and somebody rolling up on our franchise’s leg.

I hope we play the starters for a series and then put them in bubble wrap.

I actually think your concern is legitimate.  I have very little doubt the Neanderthal HC the Lions hired is going to encourage his team to push the boundaries (kind way of saying "play dirty").