Has anyone ever visited The Ralph just to visit?

The company I was with in late Sept 2019 had an event there where we got to tour the stadium, locker rooms and the field.

Also found out that the reason the winds are so crazy there and swirl unpredictably is because there is only one tunnel for the players to come out of instead of two and it causes strange wind patterns due to lack of balance, especially at that end of the field.

Steve Tasker was there and spoke and we got to talk to him individually...it was pretty cool.

Waaaay back when they were doing one of many upgrades, this one was when they were adding the club seats, we had just upgraded to Jim Kelly section, we went in the summer to visit.  The place was absent of workers and I would say maybe 30-50 people total were there.  Far cry from the 82k that were normally there.  Altho after that there were no longer 82k screaming crazies there anymore.......pretty cool.  Walked the tunnel a few times, once right before the Colts game, got on the field as part of the Club Seats program.....THAT was super cool.  My bud Billy Schuster was officiating that day and I chatted him up bit....man the Bills were bad back in them days.

On non-game days my friends and I like to pose as security and give unsuspecting out-of-towners a hard time. One time this dude shows up with bolt cutters and an extra long walking stick and we scared the bejeezes out of him. Ahhh… good times. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Not just to visit…but it was where we would go to roller blade sometimes and then set up the nets in front of the stadium and play a little hockey.  That was probably late 90s when administration building was still in the back.

and of course…learned to drive in the parking lots…but that was pretty common for many.

When I got stationed in Buffalo in 2005, I took my family to the stadium the day after we arrived in Buffalo. Turns out the Jim Kelly football camp was going on. We just walked right into the field house and out onto the practice fields that are just outside of it where they were holding the camp. Ended up meeting Jim Kelly and JP Losman. That was pretty damned cool for a random first time visit.1

We hopped the fence late one night 1995ish. Buddy sliced his hand pretty bad on the way over just as other buddy said, “hey this turnstile is unlocked!!” and walked right in, ha!

So we found our way down to the field, it was pretty dark except for a floodlight coming from the tunnel. Took some pics on the helmet at the 50, and then ran to the endzone  and dove in for the touchdown. And some brushburn.

There may or may not have been OE800 40’s involved that evening.

Ah, college.

• Thank you (+1) 1

One would think that they would have tours of the facility & if they did & i came home i would definitely dig a tour of it i am old enough to remember when it was called Rich Stadium and all the huge concert tours and all that they had there back in the late 70's & 80's that place has a ton of history & i always love going to see a game there .

I hope to one day take my grand kids there to watch a game hopefully the Bills vs the Chiefs in the AFC Championship seeing as my grand son is a Chiefs fan (Where did i go wrong) oh well i think it's the Mahomes thing but that would be awesome !!

I think to a lot of u it will always be "The Ralph" or another title because of certain memories just because GO BILLS !! 

8 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

anymore play60 events at the stadium.  I'd love to do something like that with my kids (all 3 bills fans, including the daughter). 

I have been hoping. But since the Pegula's took over, I haven't seen any play60 events at the stadium. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Being born and raised in Cheektowaga and a life long Bills fan, I left the area years ago for a career in the military. I recall having attended a couple of games at Jefferson and Best and then many more at "Rich Stadium." Now, every time I visit the area, I take the short drive down Union Road to Southwestern Blvd to drive by the "Mecca" of "Bill-ieving" to refresh my memories of "Juice and Bruce" echoing in the air.  

• Like (+1) 3

When I was in college in Ohio, I was bringing my (now wife) girlfriend home for the first time. She wanted ice cream. So I made a point to get off in OP and drive by the stadium and stopped at Cold Stone Creamery in OP. The OP is right - it's so awesome to drive by when it's empty and there isn't the hustle/bustle of a game day, as amazing as that is as well. I feel like if I was ever driving down I-90, I would absolutely make a 10-minute detour to drive down Abbott Rd!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Went day before Bengals game 2 years ago, just innocently walking around the outside and got accosted by security and they were not f-ing around. Said, "get out of here right now or else" and watched us leave. We were outside the fence. Bizarre. Maybe the dude was having a bad day. 

Was back in Buffalo for my grandfather's funeral in OCT 2018. I hadn't been back in Buffalo since the early 90's. I and my second cousin decided to drive by the Ralph and took some photos on the logo and then drove around back where we walked up to the fence and the team was practicing outside. We watched for about 10 minutes; eventually one of the personnel - didn't seem like security, but I didn't recognize him so not a coach - walked up and let us politely know they didn't want people watching the practice. He was col about it, and polite as I said - probably helps that we were both dressed nicely and I was in my (*cough* late *cough*) 40's.

But flying back from overseas for a funeral was made a little better by being able to visit hallowed ground that day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I have done this before........usually I have another reason to be in the area if I swing by the stadium........but I've gone to OP with friends in the offseason just to check out the stadium and maybe go to Bar-Bill or one of the local pizza places.    The process of driving to the stadium is a very important part of the ritual for our group of tailgaters.   If Bills Mafia can keep it's trajectory going toward being a fan base that transcends the NFL then there is the potential to build more of an offseason aspect into the Bills fan experience.   

The Bills offered tours to season ticket holders a few years ago.   I went for the tour.  The tour was interesting, but it also was fun just to be inside the stadium when it was empty and nothing at all was going on.  Interesting to see it empty and imagine it full.  

If the Bills ever offer you a tour, take it.  

• Like (+1) 2

A few years ago, my sister in-law and a few of my sisters drove out there one evening.  They were setting up for the World Junior Hockey Tournament to be held there.  We didn't realize that was happening.  There was a bunch of generators lighting everything up, as crews were busy getting the stadium for hockey.  We may, or may not, have spread some of my recently departed brothers ashes at the stadium...mums the word!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 6/24/2021 at 3:48 PM, Another Fan said:

Or I guess Highmark Stadium as it's called these days.  

Something of a LAMP post but I was in the Buffalo/Niagara area not that long ago and wanted to drive by the stadium.  A lifelong out of town fan here.  I have been to the stadium before but the adreline before a game starts takes away from appreciating the scenery.  

I know some may frequent the Bills store there but there was something about it the quiet I really loved this time of year.  I've never been the most fond of people so I like quiet places.  The Buffalo botanical gardens were very nice for the at very reason besides the nice exhibits.  

An additional bonus was seeing the 2020 AFC East Championship on the display screen in front of the stadium.  It's a source of pride even if not a Super Bowl banner.....

Yes.

it’s really cool to see on its own without there being football and a lot of fans. It’s cool to look at things and take it all in with no distractions and quiet.

That said, part of you wishes that there was a game going on and that there was tons of fans there cheering the team to victory.

Hopefully that makes sense.

I'm a big fan of the drive-by and with the store there now, I've definitely stopped by in the off-season.

The real question is, how many have just sat in the parking lot and drank a beer in the off-season?  I mean, we all need the off-season to get ready for the real deal...  :beer:

• Haha (+1) 1