A Lot of Bills stars Were at OTA's But 1 Star Was Not .

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

"cardiac issue" is a pretty broad definition.   I think virtually every older OL and interior DL player has underlying medical conditions.    Almost all of them played thru them.  

I'm not saying that Star isn't one cheeseburger away from a heart attack but having his salary fully guaranteed whether he played or not AND then getting an extra free $350K to stay home would financially motivate A LOT of older players that have just been forced to take a pay cut to stay home.    The writing was on the wall.   This was probably his last NFL paycheck.

Also, fwiw I really don't think him not being here for volunataries is a sign of anything.    I suspect he will suck or not play for the Bills at all this season,  but 10 year vets often don't show for these things.   He has the least complex job on the entire defense and this isn't a new install...........even if he didn't suck he wouldn't need to be at this OTA.   

He has an ejection fraction of 44 vs. the norm of 55-70.  That’s a precursor to CHF.  He had a legitimate medical condition and this was negotiated last year by the NFLPA and the league.

whether people agreee with this joint decision last year or not, he had a right under that agreement to opt out.

whether he plays or not is tbd.

Just now, HOUSE said:

He missed the entire 2020 season and the guy needs to be in camp. Bad Decision but I still like the guy

I am thinking his days in Buffalo are limited

I dont expect him here after 2021.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

He has an ejection fraction of 44 vs. the norm of 55-70.  That’s a precursor to CHF.  He had a legitimate medical condition and this was negotiated last year by the NFLPA and the league.

whether people agreee with this joint decision last year or not, he had a right under that agreement to opt out.

whether he plays or not is tbd.

I dont expect him here after 2021.

He could very well be gone before Sept

• Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

giphy.gif

That looks serious.........he should opt out.

According to the AHA more than 1 in 3 adult males have heart disease.

The oversized and overweight are at much higher risk.

Haven't watched the McDermott presser yet but I am told he was pretty pointed in the way he expressed that is was "unfortunate" that Star was not here. I suspect there is some element of patience beginning to wear thin in OBD. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

And that issue is usually very much a function of being overweight and obese.   Like all 300# NFL lineman.   

Not a matter of if I agree with it or not.    The majority of at risk players showed up and played.  

Star was an unusual case because he is making the small circles around the drain of his NFL career and his salary was fully guaranteed.    He had a lot of motivation to take the opt out and not expose himself to the risk that the normies and at-risk but financially less-secure were. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Haven't watched the McDermott presser yet but I am told he was pretty pointed in the way he expressed that is was "unfortunate" that Star was not here. I suspect there is some element of patience beginning to wear thin in OBD. 

Yes, he was asked to give an update on Star and expectations for him, and he replied only with "Unfortunately, Star isn't here." Implications were clear.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

He has an ejection fraction of 44 vs. the norm of 55-70.  That’s a precursor to CHF.   

Not true.  He had an ECHO before the draft that showed a transient drop to 44%.  A repeat ECHO showed normal EF.   In fact he had no symptoms of heart failure/disease at the time---it was a screening ECHO.  They assumed a viral infection.   It is certainly possible that his initial ECHO result was erroneous (not uncommon in transthoracic studies on people that big) and that he had no cardiac disease at all.

This guy has no good reason not to be at these workouts, unless he's done with football.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And that issue is usually very much a function of being overweight and obese.   Like all 300# NFL lineman.   

Not a matter of if I agree with it or not.    The majority of at risk players showed up and played.  

Star was an unusual case because he is making the small circles around the drain of his NFL career and his salary was fully guaranteed.    He had a lot of motivation to take the opt out and not expose himself to the risk that the normies and at-risk but financially less-secure were. 

Show something where it says all current 300+ big men in the NFL have heart disease and considered at risk.

4 minutes ago, wppete said:

Time to give Star his permanent walking papers. Would like to see some of the Younger guys get an opportunity.

Also I'm curious myself (like most I'd imagine) how he will be after all the time off. Won't be surprised if he's a disappointment. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Yes, he was asked to give an update on Star and expectations for him, and he replied only with "Unfortunately, Star isn't here." Implications were clear.

Just heard it. Yep. That was very different to when he talked about Stef not being there but being "ready to go." This is reading between the lines but with facial expression, tone of voice and the abrupt answer it would appear to me that the Bills have had no contact with Star. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Why are we even talking about this with respect to this guy when it is proven facts that he kicks dogs, screams at children and constantly complains about the music being too loud to the neighbors next door?!

Get this guy out of here!!

...oh, and sorry, but this Bills' defense would have just plain been better had he played last year.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Just heard it. Yep. That was very different to when he talked about Stef not being there but being "ready to go." This is reading between the lines but with facial expression, tone of voice and the abrupt answer it would appear to me that the Bills have had no contact with Star. 

Yeah..........and considering how little a 10 year vet 1 tech DT would have to gain from being at a voluntary OTA............sounds like patience with his reasoning for not being with the team is running thin.

McBeane are humans........it can be expected that they didn't enjoy his decision to opt out and have been wondering about his commitment to the team.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

He missed the entire 2020 season and the guy needs to be in camp. Bad Decision but I still like the guy

Camp hasn't started yet.

54 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

We're not "in camp" yet.  We're in Phase III of voluntary off-season workouts.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Quick.......get your Star barbs in before Hapless sees this! 

You just can't resist taking a personal shot at me, can you?

There's a difference between a subject that actually has some information and legit football discussion and a thread that was started with a one line insult (insufficient substrate for discussion) and where the OP's contribution is to loop back with further one line insults.  That's not the kind of board Scott's trying to maintain.

If you can't see this, Oh Well.

I'm fairly confident that most folks here can.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1