A Lot of Bills stars Were at OTA's But 1 Star Was Not .

28 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Here is Star's contract summary. 

https://overthecap.com/player/star-lotulelei/2282/

I don't pretend to be an expert on reading these things but a couple things stand out to me.  The first is that the Bills take a huge cap hit if they cut Star this year.  If they cut him during the next two years of his contract the cap hit is manageable.  The second thing that strikes me about his contract is that this season is the last year he is owed any guaranteed salary.  After this year he is not guaranteed any salary.  He does get a part of his prorated signing bonus.  I'm not sure how that signing bonus would be effected if this ended up being his last year in Buffalo.

My take away is that there is a good chance that this is Star's last year on the Bills. His salary of $4.5 million is fully guaranteed this year whether he steps foot on the field or not.  Star could show up out of shape and never play a single snap this season and it won't cost him a dime.  I think that is what the Bills are worried about and I think they would like to see Star and get a sense of where his mind is.   I think that is why McDermott seemed irked about the Star no show.

I may be wrong on my contract interpretation, if some of you money ball guys get a different sense, please share.

28 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

29 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I don't pretend to be an expert on reading these things but a couple things stand out to me.  The first is that the Bills take a huge cap hit if they cut Star this year.  If they cut him during the next two years of his contract the cap hit is manageable.  The second thing that strikes me about his contract is that this season is the last year he is owed any guaranteed salary.  After this year he is not guaranteed any salary.  He does get a part of his prorated signing bonus.  I'm not sure how that signing bonus would be effected if this ended up being his last year in Buffalo.

My take away is that there is a good chance that this is Star's last year on the Bills. His salary of $4.5 million is fully guaranteed this year whether he steps foot on the field or not.  Star could show up out of shape and never play a single snap this season and it won't cost him a dime.  I think that is what the Bills are worried about and I think they would like to see Star and get a sense of where his mind is.   I think that is why McDermott seemed irked about the Star no show.

I may be wrong on my contract interpretation, if some of you money ball guys get a different sense, please share.

4 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Thanks for the interpretation.

I know the Bills want him, I think the worry is that Star may not want to play football anymore after taking a year off.  His money is guaranteed this year whether he plays or not, and he wouldn't lose very much money if he decides to hang up his cleats after this year.  He can show up at training camp out of game shape and never play a single snap all season and the Bills are still going to pay him $4.5 million.  With his cap numbers the Bills are not going to cut him. This year's guaranteed salary of $4.5 million is the last big chunk of money he is going to make in his career. 

I suspect the Bills have reached out to him about how he is doing and he either hasn't responded, or he has responded and the Bills have some reason to worry about his state of mind, and that is why they want him in OTAs to get a sense of where he is at.

If he hangs them up they can get the bonus money back.  He's not going to just show up and play bad on purpose - he's either in or out.  These are professional football players.

• Like (+1) 1

This is Star's last year in Buffalo, maybe even football altogether. Hopefully he shows up ready to contribute. He will not be cut this year though because of his cap number. Nothing to see here unless he dips out on mandatory mini camp. 

32 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

That’s pretty much it.  This year’s salary of $4.5M and a portion of his salary in 2022 ($2.5M of $6.15M) are guaranteed.  The only way he gets cut this offseason is if he brings nothing at all to the table and they don’t want him around.  In that case he would be a post June 1st cut (or designated as such).  Much more likely is what you stated - he gets cut next offseason.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You just can't resist taking a personal shot at me, can you?

Yeah,  that was a REAL low blow making light of you shutting down a thread that everyone knew was going to get shut down by someone.

Either that or a missed opportunity for you to have a sense of humor about a situation with a controversial player that everyone knew was going to come to a head at some point.

People make excuses for a player based often on faith in them..........and then when it starts looking like that faith wasn't warranted........THEN they get upset.    

This is the beginning of THEN.

13 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The only way he gets cut this offseason is if he brings nothing at all to the table and they don’t want him around.  In that case he would be a post June 1st cut (or designated as such).  Much more likely is what you stated - he gets cut next offseason.

Based on McD actually addressing the situation with a negative...........I'd say not wanting him around is an option.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah,  that was a REAL low blow making light of you shutting down a thread that everyone knew was going to get shut down by someone.

Either that or a missed opportunity for you to have a sense of humor about a situation with a controversial player that everyone knew was going to come to a head at some point.

People make excuses for a player based often on faith in them..........and then when it starts looking like that faith wasn't warranted........THEN they get upset.    

This is the beginning of THEN.

The point is more that your opinion of Lotulelei is well known. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, wppete said:

Yea I wouldn’t mind that either. Move that $$$ to more productive players. 

Same thing you were told in other thread - when he restructured contract with cut at request of OBD he received guarantees. 

eyeroll.png

Some need this as their avatar for they keep opening threads based on false premises like swapping getting another player by cutting Star to get the money.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28681240/source-bills-rework-final-three-years-star-lotulelei-contract

Originally signed to a five-year, $50 million contract in 2018, Lotulelei will now earn a fully guaranteed base salary of $4.5 million in 2020 with up to $1 million in roster and workout bonuses.

He will receive a $6.15 million base salary in 2021 with up to $600,000 in bonuses and a $4.6 million base salary with up to $1.75 million in bonuses in 2022.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/26/2021 at 8:39 AM, T master said:

I read a piece today on those that didn't show up for voluntary OTA's and i realize it is "Voluntary" and in some instances i get it once the team activities start these guys have to spend time away from their family and get at the grind of the season, some are healing from off season surgeries or just clearing their heads getting ready for the season .

But I'm wondering about those like the Bills Star L. that has had a entire year off why wouldn't he be back just to get back in a flow ? In some small way it makes me question his motivation .

I also wonder did those that opted out last season still get paid ? I believe there must have been some compensation ( but making the cash they do we all could take a yr off & it wouldn't hurt the old checking acct.) wasn't their cap hit moved to this year and what were some of the other things with opting out i'm definitely not p on all that stuff .

But after sitting all last season watching the Bills Kick A** & take names being AFC east champs but not participating i for one would think that Star would be chomping at the bit to get back with the team but actions speak louder than words !!

I could see Diggs taking some time he played injured towards the end of the season and i in no way do i doubt he will be ready & all in when he is fully recovered from the surgery he had this off season so i will give him a pass along with Hughes and some others but just from the outside looking in i would think Star would be one that would want to get back with his mates to play some ball again .

Look - it is fun and easy to bash his decision, but has anyone heard why he made his decision?  

The fact that based upon some Bills reporters - the Bills are currently at 10% vaccination rate maybe drove part of his decision?  I don’t know, but if you were concerned enough to sit out because of the health risks and potential effect and you do a little bit of research and see that even vaccinated people with high risk (especially those with slightly suppressed immune responses) can get infected/re-infected and then you research the impact on healthy athletes in your sport - guys like Cam, Garrett, Tommy Sweeney, and Miller that all missed time and some had severe complications - maybe you still take a more cautious approach.

Maybe he is waiting for further guidance and a higher compliance rate before returning.  Maybe he is waiting to see if the NFLPA will provide additional guidance or maybe he is following the NFLPA guidance he has been given - which was for all athletes was to not attend OTAs due to COVID risk.

Maybe he is just a fat tub and wants his money without doing anything?

I don’t know his reasoning and you don’t know his reasoning and it is really unfair and in totally bad taste to single him out and say he does not want to be here or question his motivation.  

He was given a stipend last year to sit out and it was a tiny fraction of his salary and a portion must be paid back with his salary this year.

I don’t know what is driving his motivation and I don’t know what discussions he has had with the NFLPA and or team, but those are his decisions and he is within his rights to not attend until he is comfortable.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 6

26 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I'm surprised that Sanders didn't show up.  You'd think he'd be anxious to meet his new teammates and start learning the offense.

For some players it is possible they have other things scheduled prior to when Bills OTAs were scheduled.

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Same thing you were told in other thread - when he restructured contract with cut at request of OBD he received guarantees. 

eyeroll.png

Some need this as their avatar for they keep opening threads based on false premises like swapping getting another player by cutting Star to get the money.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28681240/source-bills-rework-final-three-years-star-lotulelei-contract

Pop Tv Thank You GIF by Schitt's Creek

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The point is more that your opinion of Lotulelei is well known. 

No...........in fact, nothing in @Hapless Bills Fan response said anything about that.

However.........you should join the "open a thread about a subject and complain about that subject matter being discussed again in that thread club" with @NewEra.  (I kid NewEra, I kid)

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not true.  He had an ECHO before the draft that showed a transient drop to 44%.  A repeat ECHO showed normal EF.   In fact he had no symptoms of heart failure/disease at the time---it was a screening ECHO.  They assumed a viral infection.   It is certainly possible that his initial ECHO result was erroneous (not uncommon in transthoracic studies on people that big) and that he had no cardiac disease at all.

This guy has no good reason not to be at these workouts, unless he's done with football.

Why are you immune to the wrath of @Royale with Cheese?

He's frickin' demanding I provide data that proves fat people are more at risk for heart disease.............if he asks me to prove that water is wet I might need your help.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

52 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I know the Bills want him, I think the worry is that Star may not want to play football anymore after taking a year off.  His money is guaranteed this year whether he plays or not

I don't think that's true. 

The contract does hold that players need to show up for certain things - mandatory workouts, mandatory training camp, meetings, games.  He can lose salary and be fined.  He can be asked to return amortized signing bonus for the games he doesn't play.

As far as I know.  Contracts are guaranteed for injury and sometimes skill, but not for "I ain't gonna show up, and pay me regardless".  That would be nuts.

This is regarding Watson, but would seem to apply to any player:

If Watson doesn’t show up -- to either format -- he would be fined $95,877 for missing Houston’s mandatory minicamp, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

The Texans could fine Watson up to $50,000 for each day of training camp missed, plus one week's salary -- $620,000 -- for each preseason game he misses.

What’s different about this than in past years is under the new CBA fines cannot be forgiven. If Watson missed mandatory minicamp ($95,877), 28 days of training camp ($1.4 million) and three preseason games ($1.86 million), he could be looking at being fined more than $3.3 million, and that’s before we get to the regular season.

If Watson sits out the entire season, his contract would essentially freeze and he obviously would not be paid for the season.

If Watson retires, the guaranteed money in Watson’s salary would count against the cap, but Houston could also choose to go after the money. For example, when quarterback Andrew Luck retired in 2019, he and the Indianapolis Colts reached a settlement, where the team chose not to recoup $24.8 million from its former quarterback

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

I know you're being sarcastic, but the fact is,  I have not been due to illness. Why would anyone think the Bills are better off without Edmunds?

He was overstating people questioning whether or not Edmunds was deserving of having his $12.7M fifth year option picked up. 
Sorry to hear that you were ill. Hope all is well now. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Haha (+1) 1