A Lot of Bills stars Were at OTA's But 1 Star Was Not .

38 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Did you catch that Bills-Browns game replay?  I watched Star in the first half.  He saw one double team in that half - where he got blown into the secondary and the RB ran through his gap.  Beyond that I saw one blocker handle him pretty easily.  He didn’t occupy two blockers, anchor well, keep the LBs clean or make any impact that I saw.  He was a lot better chasing plays laterally than I thought he’d be, but I didn’t see him make much of an impact with that either.

I know that’s just one half of one game, but when I’ve watched him in others I’ve seen the same.  If someone wants to point me to a game where he made a big, positive impact I’ll cue it up on GamePass. 

Guys like him let others make impact plays. I watched games and payed close attention to star. I like what he brings to the table. So do the guys getting paid to make these decisions. Anyone could feel the void he left last year. Saw plenty "we miss star" comments throughout the season.

To your last sentence: Bills vs cowboys on Thanksgiving day. Star was a that game.

4 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Guys like him let others make impact plays. I watched games and payed close attention to star. I like what he brings to the table. So do the guys getting paid to make these decisions. Anyone could feel the void he left last year. Saw plenty "we miss star" comments throughout the season.

To your last sentence: Bills vs cowboys on Thanksgiving day. Star was a that game.

I’ll rewatch the Cowboys game, but in general I just have to disagree on Star (until I see some consistent proof that outweighs what I saw in multiple games).  As for guys getting paid to make these decisions, they make mistakes too.  Star’s initial contract was based on him playing like he did for most of his time in Carolina and I sure have not seen play close to that caliber.  Since then, the Bills have been stuck due to his initial contract, though they did see fit to reduce it.  We almost certainly have him for one more season so the best I can do is hope the year off did him well and that he balls out this year.  At minimum he should keep Oliver playing a lot more 3T which is a help in and of itself. 

11 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I’ll rewatch the Cowboys game, but in general I just have to disagree on Star (until I see some consistent proof that outweighs what I saw in multiple games).  As for guys getting paid to make these decisions, they make mistakes too.  Star’s initial contract was based on him playing like he did for most of his time in Carolina and I sure have not seen play close to that caliber.  Since then, the Bills have been stuck due to his initial contract, though they did see fit to reduce it.  We almost certainly have him for one more season so the best I can do is hope the year off did him well and that he balls out this year.  At minimum he should keep Oliver playing a lot more 3T which is a help in and of itself. 

Cool, I'll stick to my assessment. Star playing like he did prior to covid-19 is what we were missing last year. 

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

Did you catch that Bills-Browns game replay?  I watched Star in the first half.  He saw one double team in that half - where he got blown into the secondary and the RB ran through his gap.  Beyond that I saw one blocker handle him pretty easily.  He didn’t occupy two blockers, anchor well, keep the LBs clean or make any impact that I saw.  He was a lot better chasing plays laterally than I thought he’d be, but I didn’t see him make much of an impact with that either.

I know that’s just one half of one game, but when I’ve watched him in others I’ve seen the same.  If someone wants to point me to a game where he made a big, positive impact I’ll cue it up on GamePass. 

Yeah,  the idea that Star was constantly drawing double teams and tying up blockers was incorrect.   @thebandit27 would often point this out when he was still posting here as well.   It's a fact,  it's not something that should require backup but there are a lot of folks on this board that felt like Star was very good at forcing doubles......when in fact a good guard had little issue taking him out of the play with no assistance necessary.    $10M per is a lot to pay for a player like that.

At the time of that Browns game they were in the midst of a rather bad stretch of playing run defense.   I remember seeing Wyatt Teller single block pancake Star on one play inside the redzone in particular.    The notion that he was a force at the LOS is a misty water-colored memory.   But we do tend to see this with injured players........Harrison Phillips was deified when the Bills run defense struggled in 2019 after his injury.   Then Star got the nod in 2020 and now Phillips is living in the shade.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I got time this morning.

Not just powerful and athletic....cardio too.

You said they aren't in good cardio shape and that in order to remain "fat", have a relatively sedentary lifestyle.  Which is simply untrue.  

Again, you can't compare the general population to professional athletes.  Why is this so hard to understand? Seriously.

It is absolute common sense that exercise helps reduce the cardiovascular disease and you ignore that every time.  Professional offensive NFL lineman have a very strong workout regimen.  When you workout more, you heart gets stronger.  A sedentary person is at a much higher risk than a non-sedentary person.  I can't believe this has to be explained to you yet again. 

"Sedentary behavior and physical inactivity are among the leading modifiable risk factors worldwide for cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality. The promotion of physical activity and exercise training (ET) leading to improved levels of cardiorespiratory fitness is needed in all age groups, race, and ethnicities and both sexes to prevent many chronic diseases, especially cardiovascular disease. In this state-of-the-art review, we discuss the negative impact of sedentary behavior and physical inactivity, as well as the beneficial effects of physical activity /ET and cardiorespiratory fitness for the prevention of chronic noncommunicable diseases, including cardiovascular disease."

Here's you saying they aren't in good cardio shape lol!  Too exhausted to walk lmfao!

Baldo 1.jpg

None of this counters the point that I was making that you jumped into the thread to argue against.

That clinically obese people are generally considered to be at a higher risk to have underlying medical conditions than those that are not.

The fact that it's typically the 300# plus guys that are dropping from heatstroke when doing team workouts illustrates the obvious...........they are likely to be in the least quality cardiovascular shape of any players on the team.

Doesn't mean they can't ride a bike or dunk a basketball............just that they are at higher risk.    

And as it pertains to Star Lotulelei.............the point is that MANY obese players could have claimed they had underlying health conditions.    Most did not.   For most, taking the $350K was to take a big paycut and/or risk losing their career.    For Star,  his other money was guaranteed.    Jon Feliciano pointed this out right after Star opted out.    The skepticism from Feliciano about the reasoning for some opting out was pretty obvious by that otherwise unnecessary tweet.   There is no factual basis that we are aware of to presume that Star was at a greater health risk than A LOT of other 300# NFL lineman.    

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

None of this counters the point that I was making that you jumped into the thread to argue against.

That clinically obese people are generally considered to be at a higher risk to have underlying medical conditions than those that are not.

The fact that it's typically the 300# plus guys that are dropping from heatstroke when doing team workouts illustrates the obvious...........they are likely to be in the least quality cardiovascular shape of any players on the team.

Doesn't mean they can't ride a bike or dunk a basketball............just that they are at higher risk.    

And as it pertains to Star Lotulelei.............the point is that MANY obese players could have claimed they had underlying health conditions.    Most did not.   For most, taking the $350K was to take a big paycut and/or risk losing their career.    For Star,  his other money was guaranteed.    Jon Feliciano pointed this out right after Star opted out.    The skepticism from Feliciano about the reasoning for some opting out was pretty obvious by that otherwise unnecessary tweet.   There is no factual basis that we are aware of to presume that Star was at a greater health risk than A LOT of other 300# NFL lineman.    

Yes it does lol.

Heat stroke is a whole different subject.  Runners who are nowhere near obese die of heat stroke all the time.  High school kids die of heat stroke in all of the sports at all sizes.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140728162332.htm

Yes obese people are considered higher risk.  No one has argued against that.  The only point that has been made to you over and over again that you can't compare the general obese person to a professional athlete because the athlete doesn't have the same sedentary lifestyle.  As stated by the AHA, which you keep pointing out, and general common sense, exercise reduces your risk of heart disease.  Is a 60 year old 300# guy who sits on his recliner all day at a higher risk than a professional football player?  The answer is obvious and that's the point we have tried to make and you can't grasp.  The 1/3 stat you keep bringing up isn't separated by subset, it's just a general whole.

I also specifically stated that lineman aren't as in good cardio shape as a skilled player.  But you were arguing that lineman aren't in good cardio shape and that they can't do much cardio, need to be sedentary to keep on the weight.  You said it was false these guys workout year round.  You actually argued this.  You even lied and said Matt Birk stated he couldn't walk with his family because it was too exhausting lol.

Bottom line is you don't know the current medical conditions of Star or any other 300# offensive lineman.  You have no factual basis at all but criticize others for it.  

Just because an NFL player is 300# doesn't mean they have current underlying medical conditions.  It's that simple.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Actually it does counter several points you started out making.  No one I see here is arguing that obesity isn’t a cardiovascular risk.  We’re pointing out, in various words, that the degree of relative risk depends upon set of factors that correlate to to obesity in the general population (age, sedentary lifestyle, poor diet, untreated hypertension etc).  

First you said these factors applied to NFL linemen because they had to be sedentary to maintain weight.  

When people pointed out NFL OL are strong and athletic, you said well they don’t do cardio.  When it was pointed out yes they do cardio with multiple examples, now you’re back to trying to apply risk factors evaluated over an entire population to a non-random subset, which is inappropriate use of statistics.  

Complete with gifs and videos of fat dudes labeled with names of Bills players.  

You’ve become a caricature here, give it up.  We all know you don’t like Star and that obesity is a CV risk factor (though you might ask the authors of that letter what the relative risk of obesity is once corrected for age (the biggie), sex, hypertension, and physical inactivity, hmmmm?)

Ciao

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah,  the idea that Star was constantly drawing double teams and tying up blockers was incorrect.   @thebandit27 would often point this out when he was still posting here as well.   It's a fact,  it's not something that should require backup but there are a lot of folks on this board that felt like Star was very good at forcing doubles......when in fact a good guard had little issue taking him out of the play with no assistance necessary.    $10M per is a lot to pay for a player like that.

At the time of that Browns game they were in the midst of a rather bad stretch of playing run defense.   I remember seeing Wyatt Teller single block pancake Star on one play inside the redzone in particular.    The notion that he was a force at the LOS is a misty water-colored memory.   But we do tend to see this with injured players........Harrison Phillips was deified when the Bills run defense struggled in 2019 after his injury.   Then Star got the nod in 2020 and now Phillips is living in the shade.   

I mean you can click on literally the first defensive snap of the 2019 season in this link and it shows Lotulelei taking a double lol @00:43, he get doubled on more than 50% of his snaps

5 minutes ago, eball said:

This is good to see. I'd rather he just be at OTAs but looks like he's attending a private football camp to get back into shape. I'm not concerned about him showing up to training camp out of shape.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

There were several folks who did believe he would lose weight. 

If I were Star, the minute I opted out I woulda changed my diet.

Even Harrison Phillips, after he tore his ACL he talked about how he changed (cut back) on what he was eating to lose a little weight.

35 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Actually it does counter several points you started out making.  No one I see here is arguing that obesity isn’t a cardiovascular risk.  We’re pointing out, in various words, that the degree of relative risk depends upon set of factors that correlate to to obesity in the general population (age, sedentary lifestyle, poor diet, untreated hypertension etc).  

First you said these factors applied to NFL linemen because they had to be sedentary to maintain weight.  

When people pointed out NFL OL are strong and athletic, you said well they don’t do cardio.  When it was pointed out yes they do cardio with multiple examples, now you’re back to trying to apply risk factors evaluated over an entire population to a non-random subset, which is inappropriate use of statistics.  

Complete with gifs and videos of fat dudes labeled with names of Bills players.  

You’ve become a caricature here, give it up.  We all know you don’t like Star and that obesity is a CV risk factor (though you might ask the authors of that letter what the relative risk of obesity is once corrected for age (the biggie), sex, hypertension, and physical inactivity, hmmmm?)

Ciao

I think you're all spinning your wheels on this one. NFL DTs are high risk for CV. Lots of studies support this, including via the CDC and that's really the bottom line. 

I like Star and hope he shows. Not sure what the deal is. I think it was a mistake to not support the team, but if he is working hard and comes ready will forgive.