A Lot of Bills stars Were at OTA's But 1 Star Was Not .

37 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Who knows if he’ll still be any good after a year off...I have no idea. But the idea that he’s bad and always has been is laughably wrong.

Agreed, it's hard to say, though that video of him training that came out yesterday definitely raised my expectation. He's always been known as a hard worker with no problems keeping weight off, but he looked great and fast.

And yup, for whatever reason he's always been a scapegoat here for a very vocal minority. I have never understood it. He's no Superman. You're not likely to get a pass rush from him or a bunch of tackles either. But he does what McDermott wants done and enables this defense to work at a high level.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I had faith you'd find the obviously slippery slope in your illogical arguments.

All the hand-wringing about me simply applying the common medical assertion that obesity puts one at a higher risk for illnesses/disorders was absurd.

You immediately jumped to the assumption that all 300# athletes were too fit to be compared to the general public..........but of course ignored the fact that there are 10-15x the % of 300# people on on NFL team versus the general population...........or that the risk factors are higher for african americans and  69% of the NFL are african americans versus just 13%-14% in the general population.   Sickle cell can cause heart failure/death......and HAS on the football field....... and that is exclusively an african american affliction.   The numbers also apply for things like diabetes and kidney failure.   

You just have zero comprehension skills.  You’re just going to keep coming after me because your feelings were hurt.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

😂😂Big play Bene? Tre Boston? Kona Ealy? Watch a lot of Carolina circa 2015? Because I did and if you think Short was the better of the two you probably think Jordan Phillips was our best DT in 2019.

Short was a BEAST had 11 sacks and a PRO BOWLER yes I think he’s way better of the two 

Edited by Putin

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

i share the frustration w other bills fans w our run D and the often general lack of physicality, but star was a high pick, and rated as one of the top talents on most draft boards, and our HC who was his DC in carolina did opt to go get him, so it kinda makes sense that he can play football.

i hope he and our new rookies set the tone as a bigger more fisticuffs inspiring DL this year. 

11 hours ago, TBBills said:

***** now he is too small!!! Someone tell him to eat more!

He’s probably  still 3 bills and change. Wearing a hoodie and everyone carries weight differently. He’s always taken. care of his body and well conditioned as far as avoiding injury. I think he’s only missed maybe 4 games since 2016 outside of the opt out year 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, colin said:

i share the frustration w other bills fans w our run D and the often general lack of physicality, but star was a high pick, and rated as one of the top talents on most draft boards, and our HC who was his DC in carolina did opt to go get him, so it kinda makes sense that he can play football.

i hope he and our new rookies set the tone as a bigger more fisticuffs inspiring DL this year. 

Yes all we can do right now is hope , 

hopefully due to cap issue someone will get cut that would be an upgrade over that fat piece 💩 

22 hours ago, Dopey said:

Guys like him let others make impact plays. I watched games and payed close attention to star. I like what he brings to the table. So do the guys getting paid to make these decisions. Anyone could feel the void he left last year. Saw plenty "we miss star" comments throughout the season.

To your last sentence: Bills vs cowboys on Thanksgiving day. Star was a that game.

I rewatched the condensed Cowboys game on Game Pass.  30 minutes to see a nice win wasn’t exactly a chore. Star had two really nice plays that game, including his best as a Bill - the INT of Dak on a screen.  He also knocked down a pass at the line.  I can see why those plays would lead you to chose that game.

But the problem is that the rest of it looked like everything else I’ve seen.  He played 35 defensive snaps (46%) and 3 on specials.  He was double teamed on run plays only once where he was moved out of his gap and the RB went through it easily.  He drew no other doubles on runs, was easily handled by one blocker and made no impact outside of the two plays mentioned.

There were several pass plays where a second blocker engaged him, but he never pushed the pocket.  It just looked like the extra OL was just picking him up because he had no one else to block.  Star had a great and a really good play in that game, but it’s really a reach to say those are indicative of his contribution to the Bills.  In two seasons that was his lone INT and he has one other pass defended to go along with two sacks.  But again, those are not what he’s supposed to be here for.  His job is supposed to be drawing double teams and clogging up the middle.  He has failed at that main aspect so far.  It looks like he’s got one season left to show he can change that. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s probably  still 3 bills and change. Wearing a hoodie and everyone carries weight differently. He’s always taken. care of his body and well conditioned as far as avoiding injury. I think he’s only missed maybe 4 games since 2016 outside of the opt out year 

It is encouraging to see him look in good shape. The next step is to get him in the building. 

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is encouraging to see him look in good shape. The next step is to get him in the building. 

I think he just prefers to work with own coach and regimen to get back into football shape before training camp. That is the story for 99% of players that don't show up at OTAs. He's been in the league long enough, he'll be fine.

31 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think he just prefers to work with own coach and regimen to get back into football shape before training camp. That is the story for 99% of players that don't show up at OTAs. He's been in the league long enough, he'll be fine.

He also knows the scheme extremely well. I always prefer the player’s version in the building as the coaches do but I do see why some guys feel they don’t need OTAs. I think the biggest thing with him is that he didn’t play last year. Whereas Hughes isn’t there and he did play last year, never misses games, plus his wife is very pregnant so makes sense he skips these. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

A lot of Bills aren't here. Star is a veteran. He doesn't have to be here. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was never huge in Buffalo. He lost weight when he came here. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Maybe, but more than other players he needs time back around his teammates and coaches. They have a different Dline coach than the last time Star took the field in a Bills jersey. I doubt every single intricacy of the scheme is unchanged. I am genuinely encouraged by him being in shape. That is a first step. He needs to get in the building. 

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I believe the study found that Blacks/African Americans are at higher risk.  I believe that race dominates the defensive line while its probably more even on the offensive line.

But still, the only data we have is on retired players in this study.  One of the articles I posted discussed on the newer generation of 300# OL/DL workout more for lean muscle as opposed to just bulk....it gives them more agility and better endurance.

My college weight training coach played center at Wake Forest.  He said they were encouraged to eat pizza a lot to put on weight.  It’s different today....well with most.  You still have your Mike Williams and Marcel Dareus’s who aren’t committed.

You went there.  I didn't want to go there.  The thing about relative risk of heart disease is that overall, the biggest factors (accounting for 65-80% of the risk differential depending on the study are 1) age 2) sex 3) race:

African Americans: African Americans are two to three times more likely to die from premature heart disease and stroke than their Caucasian counterparts. According to the American Heart Association, high blood pressure, or hypertension, affects the African American population more than any other race in the world. Obesity and Type 2 diabetes are also prevalent among this group.

The reason we don't hear too much about it is that those factors are outside the individuals control.  

Especially a couple decades back when this study was done, I believe OLs trended whiter than DLs especially at the C and G positions.  So the observed difference might just mirror race and in fact, still be better than the general population.

It's a big question for people who care about preventative medicine (like my personal physician, who is young and enthusiastic) why 3) is true.    Even correcting for smoking, untreated hypertension, undiagnosed diabetes (all higher among African Americans), diet etc there's still a difference.  Then it gets squishy.

But my guess about the difference observed in the cited study (and it's only my guess, though a somewhat informed one) is that at the time it was conducted, there was less emphasis on year-round support for player health such as healthy food, training for muscle mass, screening/treating players for hypertension and diabetes and overall racial disparities played a bigger role.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

A lot of Bills aren't here. Star is a veteran. He doesn't have to be here. 

The other Bills who aren't here haven't been out of football for a year and away from their teammates and coaches.

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You just have zero comprehension skills.  You’re just going to keep coming after me because your feelings were hurt.  

You literally jumped into this thread to argue against the correlation between obesity and illness.    

An association that is understood to be common sense.

You couldn't comprehend the broad scope of arguing that NFL players were exempt from obesity related health concerns.........for example something like 3% of the NFL being of samoan descent........mostly big lineman.....40x the general population % in the US.........and that samoans have some of the highest rates of heart disease and diabetes in the world.

I'm just throwing some dirt on your dead argument.    You've earned it.:thumbsup:

7 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I can’t because it’s a bad argument. In order of importance it was probably Kuechly Norman Davis Lotulelei. 

I watched that team a ton. My brother is a big Panthers fan. Lotulelei’s been an integral part of top defenses his whole career.

I see you left K Short name out why ?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It's neither encouraging or discouraging to me.    The fact that his head looks twice the size that it did before could mean he's just at a post-career weight goal.    Or it could be construed that he realizes that there isn't much demand for traffic cones in a pass happy league and wants to extend his career as an active DT.    That seems a little less likely because if he played well he'd get the same amount of money over the next 2 seasons as if he got cut.

I'd remind everyone that it doesn't take much to look good in one take of a short burst of activity.    Below is 53 year old Mike Tyson.   "Everyone's got a plan (for social media)"

SoupyReflectingIndianabat-size_restricte

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The other Bills who aren't here haven't been out of football for a year and away from their teammates and coaches.

Emanuel Sanders doesn't even know the play book. Where's the outrage? He missed last week. 

There are plenty of mandatory practices before the season starts. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You went there.  I didn't want to go there.  The thing about relative risk of heart disease is that overall, the biggest factors (accounting for 65-80% of the risk differential depending on the study are 1) age 2) sex 3) race:

The reason we don't hear too much about it is that those factors are outside the individuals control.  

Especially a couple decades back when this study was done, I believe OLs trended whiter than DLs especially at the C and G positions.  So the observed difference might just mirror race and in fact, still be better than the general population.

It's a big question for people who care about preventative medicine (like my personal physician, who is young and enthusiastic) why 3) is true.    Even correcting for smoking, untreated hypertension, undiagnosed diabetes (all higher among African Americans), diet etc there's still a difference.  Then it gets squishy.

But my guess about the difference observed in the cited study (and it's only my guess, though a somewhat informed one) is that at the time it was conducted, there was less emphasis on year-round support for player health such as healthy food, training for muscle mass, screening/treating players for hypertension and diabetes and overall racial disparities played a bigger role.

I went there because it was in the study and article.  I wasn't trying to make a controversial statement.

Absolutely there was less emphasis on year round player support.  As I said earlier, my strength coach in college who played center at Wake Forest said he was told to eat a lot of pizza to keep on the weight.  He was literally eating pizza 3-4 times a week every week while in school.  They didn't think anything of it back then.