Potential Hint to Draft Priorities?

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Question:  Why do people keep listing WR as an immediate need?  I dont get why thats an immediate need right now

For some teams, it wouldn’t, but for a team like us that runs 3-wide, 4-wide on the reg, it may be.  

We have 5 WR’s set, and one is a gadget guy in McKenzie.  

The stud outside WR prospects will be gone, but the potential slot prospects at 30 are really talented.   No reason we can’t run a rookie slot in 4-wide and plan for life beyond Cole (whenever that happens). 

Or we can wait until the 2nd/3rd Round and dip into the 2nd tier of outside WR’s. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

For the record I don't understand why people feel drafting for need is a bad thing? I agree if there is a run on OT's you don't want to take the 8th best OT when you could have a better player at another position.  

If your front office is basing a player selection decision on how many players at that position had already been selected rather than how they stack up against the field............then they are incompetent.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Beane lies. He says he drafts BPA but drafts for need.  He is an idiot if he is drafting for long term. The window to win the SuperBowl is now and next year.  He should be drafting for immediate help!  Now that can be nuanced.  Drafting a 1-tech DT or edge early can fit both a short term and long term need. 

The only position that I would say should be drafted for long term is a true center so they can move on from Morse next year.  

If you have a true top 5 superstar QB then the window is as large as his career. Your team will always be in the mix

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

If you look at the Bills roster, the only position where a rookie could potentially start on Day 1 is at Running Back. 

All the other spots have solid veterans in place for 2021.  And even if the Bills drafted Travis Etienne/Najee Harris, it's very possible they are forced to play behind Devin Singletary/Zack Moss at first.

Not sure anything can be taken from Beane's comments.

Also, there hasn't been a "delay" in activating the 5th-Year Option on Tremaine Edmunds.  The deadline isn't until after the draft, and none of the NFL teams have activated those options yet.  The Bills haven't done it for Josh Allen either.

You must know by now that Edmunds must be bashed in every thread.  I think it is a board rule so I’m sorry but I have to report you to the mods for using logic and reason when it comes to Edmunds.

57 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

That's as good an argument that I've seen that they are going BPA, whatever you think he did the last few years, as the best player at any position is most likely to help you in the long run. I've always looked at BPA as best player for the longterm as opposed to best player immediately. For example, if you're drafting for the longterm it might make you more liable to draft, say, Caleb Farley, if you think his injury is temporary.

Ultimately, what might be the problem here is that people have their own definitions of what "BPA" means or what different teams' needs are. 

I would agree for the most part with how you classify BPA..., 

For me, I have pretty much always thought that there has never been a draft pick that wasn’t need driven, I say this because, needing a RT for your team for example,  is a need, or getting a player that is “better” at what ever, is always a need, a better player no matter how that is measured is and always has been a need for every sports team ever. All draft picks are needs, because all teams need all sorts, from role players to stars, needs needs needs.  So to say that “BPA” is some how different, and not classified as yet another need just doesn’t make sense.  It’s all about getting the right combination of players that puts your team over the top. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Beane's comments are for ONE reason.  To increase the value of Pick #30.

"Oh, we know there wont be immediate impact starters at 30, but (to all NFL teams) dont think for a second we wont draft a player for long term.  So if you call us, be prepared to pay full fare, if not more"

Draft picks are always long term investments. No serious GM says "we're drafting this guy because he's gonna put us over the hump right now!" That's what FA acquisitions are for. They're known commodities.

So, I wouldn't read too much into that specific comment. It's a statement of the obvious to me.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, glazeduck said:

I know this has been posted elsewhere, so mods feel free to merge if deemed necessary, but wanted to lay out a general line of thinking taking this comment a step or two further...

From Beane's presser the other day: 

1. Immediate needs become less of a priority than longer-term ones (see DE/WR age/depth/future contract situations)

In general, if my thesis is proven correct, I think this statement from Beane probably means:

Stock up: DE, CB, WR, OT, C

Stock down: S, OG, 

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Question:  Why do people keep listing WR as an immediate need?  I dont get why thats an immediate need right now

I don't see the WR need either.  It has become another "obsession" lately.

I will make a few statements/facts about WR.

1.  The highest drafted WR on the Bills is Sanders who was a 3rd rounder (Pick #82).  This includes recently released Josh Brown (Pick #91).

The Bills have a great WR room for the 2021 season and NONE are top picks in any draft.

2.  Diggs cost a 1st+ BUT WRs have a long shelf life as compared to lets say RBs.   It's not a bad idea to take at least 1-2 WRs in FA.

3.  My most important statement:  Is there anyone who seriously thinks that if the Bills find themselves next year needing a WR that the

upcoming Free Agency would not be full of players wanting to come to Buffalo to catch balls thrown by Josh Allen?

4.  The Bills had 8 plays (THAT IS 8 PLAYS) last year with a 5 WR set.  Only 15% (not a small number) but only 15% with a 4 WR set.

This "fantasy" that the Bills need 5-6 top line WRs is not based in reality.

The Bills already have Diggs and to add to that Josh Allen has proven to spread the ball around like a HOF QB.

I'm not saying drafting a WR is a bad move, I'm just saying I don't think it's an imperative need to in the first couple of rounds.

IMO.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

If you look at the Bills roster, the only position where a rookie could potentially start on Day 1 is at Running Back. 

All the other spots have solid veterans in place for 2021.  And even if the Bills drafted Travis Etienne/Najee Harris, it's very possible they are forced to play behind Devin Singletary/Zack Moss at first.

Not sure anything can be taken from Beane's comments.

Also, there hasn't been a "delay" in activating the 5th-Year Option on Tremaine Edmunds.  The deadline isn't until after the draft, and none of the NFL teams have activated those options yet.  The Bills haven't done it for Josh Allen either.

A good rookie could compete to start at CB, though I don’t know that there will be such a player available at 30.

I think a good OL could compete to start on the interior of the OL.

13 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't see the WR need either.  It has become another "obsession" lately.

I will make a few statements/facts about WR.

1.  The highest drafted WR on the Bills is Sanders who was a 3rd rounder (Pick #82).  This includes recently released Josh Brown (Pick #91).

The Bills have a great WR room for the 2021 season and NONE are top picks in any draft.

2.  Diggs cost a 1st+ BUT WRs have a long shelf life as compared to lets say RBs.   It's not a bad idea to take at least 1-2 WRs in FA.

3.  My most important statement:  Is there anyone who seriously thinks that if the Bills find themselves next year needing a WR that the

upcoming Free Agency would not be full of players wanting to come to Buffalo to catch balls thrown by Josh Allen?

4.  The Bills had 8 plays (THAT IS 8 PLAYS) last year with a 5 WR set.  Only 15% (not a small number) but only 15% with a 4 WR set.

This "fantasy" that the Bills need 5-6 top line WRs is not based in reality.

The Bills already have Diggs and to add to that Josh Allen has proven to spread the ball around like a HOF QB.

I'm not saying drafting a WR is a bad move, I'm just saying I don't think it's an imperative need to in the first couple of rounds.

IMO.

Free agent WR (good ones) cost a ton. It's money the Bills won't have next year. 

3 hours ago, Arkady Renko said:

No team truly drafts BPA in the first few rounds.  Otherwise you could see something crazy like an all LB draft class.  When teams say they draft BPA they mean BPA at a position of need or where there is at least potential space on the roster.  

Why people still don't understand this is beyond me.   

"We have 6 pro bowl LTs but the best player available is a LT, we have to draft him!"

Not the case.   

Need: we have two returning wrs  and need to get more weapons. 

BPA: we could upgrade at RG with this player since we're good everywhere else. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is not. But Beane talked about drafting a guy who could learn behind players with 1 year left. Beasley and Sanders fall in that camp. 

I am at the point where #30 (if they don't trade out) is down to Travis Etienne, a corner, a project pass rusher or a receiver based on the presser.

Really Jalen Phillips but those concussions are concerning

5 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Free agent WR (good ones) cost a ton. It's money the Bills won't have next year. 

#1WRs cost a lot of money.  The Bills have Diggs for that role.  My point is that Beane could draft a WR in round 3-5.

I see no NEED to draft one in the 1st or even the 2nd.  We will see next week what will happen.

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I still think Collins is in play if there at 30. Go look at the size of McDermott’s 2009 Eagles LBs. 

League is different now BUT could definitely see Collins there. If he can rush, stop the run and cover like they say id be stoked to have this guy.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is not. But Beane talked about drafting a guy who could learn behind players with 1 year left. Beasley and Sanders fall in that camp. 

I am at the point where #30 (if they don't trade out) is down to Travis Etienne, a corner, a project pass rusher or a receiver based on the presser.

At this point, I'd be very surprised if Etienne (or any RB) is the selection at #30.