RIP Rick Azar

Beast

Normally I don't care at all for local tv personalities, but Rick Azar was excellent at his work. I saw some great interviews with him after he retired, he seemed to have a great grasp of the sports world and the workings with the players and media. I believe he also conducted seminars with professional athletes on how to interact with the media. Seemed like a real good guy.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

When OJ hit 2000, that was Rick on the play by play call and not Van Miller.  I am unclear as to why but it's one of his biggest moments in Buffalo sports history.

From 1972-1976, Azar was the play by play guy for the Bills.  I may be wrong, but I believe this was merely a case of the Bills radio broadcast rights going from WBEN (Van Miller) over to WKBW (Rick Azar) for those years.   Van was doing Buffalo Braves games durning those years.  

RIP Rick.  Always liked him.  Was cool to learn that in recent years, he had a jazz radio show.

• Like (+1) 4

58 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

When OJ hit 2000, that was Rick on the play by play call and not Van Miller.  I am unclear as to why but it's one of his biggest moments in Buffalo sports history.

Wasn't it Al Meltzer?

• Like (+1) 3

RIP, Rick Azar. I really liked him as a kid growing up in WNY. I can still hear his call in my head on OJ's record breaking run in 1973 like it was yesterday. He had a great run himself...91 years. Kudos, sir.

20 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Wasn't it Al Meltzer?

It was Rick on the call but Al was in the booth with him as the color analyst.

You are correct. I had it backwards. Apologies.

Edited by ExWNYer

16 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Do you know where your children are!! The Irv Weinstein jingle was the best

Thanks!  I was just trying to remember that sign off. I knew it had something to do with children. Great memories from my youth, RIP Rick!

Edited by jabu