What about Trent Murphy's future?

So with seeing these cuts and how the front office is going to make decisions, they really screwed up on Murphy's contract.  He is owed too much dead money on the last year of his contract.  He's not tradeable this year with all these cheap alternatives and we can't cut him.  He doesn't play enough to warrant his contract.  Will they just make him a healthy scratch all year?

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Dislike 3

9 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

So with seeing these cuts and how the front office is going to make decisions, they really screwed up on Murphy's contract.  He is owed too much dead money on the last year of his contract.  He's not tradeable this year with all these cheap alternatives and we can't cut him.  He doesn't play enough to warrant his contract.  Will they just make him a healthy scratch all year?

Well, you got the “he’s not tradable” part right.  Serious question tho: If he doesn’t get any decent offers as a FA, what about bringing him back as depth on a cheap 1 year deal with incentives?  That might make a lot of sense to both parties IMO.

• Haha (+1) 1

Poor guy, he’s still the whipping boy, and he’s not even on the team... 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

His contract expired he is a free agent.

The issue is the Bills NOT cutting him last year. If we had cut him last year, the cap savings he would have provided would have been rolled over to this years Cap space which would have allowed us to be more flexible this year.  

Edited by ganesh
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 3

My bad guys.  I'm guessing I missed that.  Chalk it up to I was hoping 2020 in general was a bad nightmare

23 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Well, you got the “he’s not tradable” part right.  Serious question tho: If he doesn’t get any decent offers as a FA, what about bringing him back as depth on a cheap 1 year deal with incentives?  That might make a lot of sense to both parties IMO.

I think there will be others that are available that fit better.  Younger, faster, stronger...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

The issue is the Bills NOT cutting him last year. If we had cut him last year, the cap savings he would have provided would have been rolled over to this years Cap space which would have allowed us to be more flexible this year.  

Except - if we cut him with the injuries and games he played - would they have signed someone else?

AJ was not ready early in the season - so we needed additional DE depth.  

So maybe we get a small savings, but even if we bring up a guy from the PS we are talking minimal savings.

Rather have the guys that got me to the AFC Championship game rather than save a couple of million and have missed the guy that helped in multiple games due to his experience.

• Like (+1) 1

Given what he did against Jackson in the wild card game they should bring him back as a veteran depth player if he would come back with a good contract number i think he would be a good get for at least 1 more season .