TBN: Is now a good time for Josh Allen to get his contract extension?

warrior9

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The precedent is set. Star QB gets an extension after 3rd year. Both sides will want a deal done to avoid Dallas/Dak current situation.  

The precedent that is set is that different QBs get different deals for different reasons, in different situations and with different histories of performance.

19 hours ago, Draconator said:

Just my gut on this, but I think Josh takes a MASSIVE hometown deal. In the range of $20-$25 million/year, in order to keep the talent level around him at the top, and be able to contend for the Superbowl year in/year out. 

That's incredibly wishful thinking. 

I could see "hometown deal" in the 30-35 range. That would still be cheap for him at this point... saving us ~3-5 mill off Watson. Allen has quite a bit of wiggle room in getting a higher contract than him.

Edited by warrior9
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, warrior9 said:

No one said that. It's in a discussion for the off-season. 

No one said "gotta be signed immediately" It's a discussion of when you do it. This off-season or wait? 

Did you even read the article?

The red crosses I am referring to are in response to my comments that it gets done 8 months or so down the track...and the focus should be on FA and the Draft in the short to medium term...

Pretty much what Beane himself has said in his interview with Collinsworth..

18 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Allen is going to get extended right before the season starts (hopefully sooner) but recent history for some reason this drags to the first week of September.

If money is your concern....it shouldn't be.  

If being sold on him is your concern, there is an extremely small percentage of QBs in the last 20 years you can say "definitely sold."  So I'm fine listening to people have that discussion about Allen.  I get it.  

But I don't need convincing I was sold after his rookie season (which to me should have been a Mahomes like red shirt season).  Back to back playoffs and 2nd in MVP voting (if his name was Sam Darnold and the Jets won the division he would have won it).  That "how did this happen we all thought he'd be a bust" narrative will take a Super Bowl to extinguish.  Whatever.  

My question is, do Baker and Lamar get extended and what will those deals look like? 

Because I'm far more sold on Allen then those guys.  And I'd be in no way comfortable right now giving Jackson the big pay day.  He has to show me something this season before I did.  That passing game can't look like that and him get 30 to 40 mill per.  At least Baker really played well the 2nd half of this season and lit up that Ravens D.  

This is a great post

• Thank you (+1) 2

• 5 months later...
On 2/23/2021 at 11:13 AM, Victory Formation said:

I’m no expert in the matter but it seems cap space is limited.. Think the Bills need to dump salary wherever they can. Obviously we’re not in terrible shape but I think we need to trim some fat in order to extend Josh next year. Josh will cost $38M-$40M/aav I’m guessing.. Jefferson, Butler, Lotulelei and even Hughes need to go. Probably hang onto Morse, Feliciano and Williams for at least another year but overwhelmingly I think the defense needs to be gutted and then rebuilt through the draft.. But yeah, I don’t think Josh will be extended this year. I could be completely wrong but I think we need to free up cap for next year in order to do that.

Take a look at Mahomes contract, you might think differently. 

• Like (+1) 1

the fact is the going rate for a franchise Qb  starts at 40mil a year.....   Allen, jackson, mayfield will be this year or next .   then Kyler Murray , 

then Joe Burrow and justin herbert by that time it will be $50 mill a year for a QB extension

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I can't say I'm happy about this. Lock him up now before he gets more expensive.

I can see your point and in a normal situation (non Covid cap stuff) I think this would have been a done deal already.

If Josh signs for 6-7 years (a long contract) or more he will be a bargain at the end of it.

That gives Beane flexibility to push some of the money back as the years go by.

I really am not too worried about it.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, snowbelt_subie said:

the fact is the going rate for a franchise Qb  starts at 40mil a year.....   Allen, jackson, mayfield will be this year or next .   then Kyler Murray , 

then Joe Burrow and justin herbert by that time it will be $50 mill a year for a QB extension

I am not so sure Jackson is a franchise QB. He seems more like a glorified RB. Last season it seemed like the league started to figure him out. Allen will make serious $$$ and so will Mayfield. If last season is any indication Herbert and Murray will but with Burrow it depends on his health. That was a nasty injury he suffered.

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

I am not so sure Jackson is a franchise QB. He seems more like a glorified RB. Last season it seemed like the league started to figure him out. Allen will make serious $$$ and so will Mayfield. If last season is any indication Herbert and Murray will but with Burrow it depends on his health. That was a nasty injury he suffered.

lamar has won more games than anyone of the young guns and has an MVP.  All these teams are eventually going to Pay.   it would be unprecedented to let even a decent young qb leave.  

the only one that has ever done it was Cousins.

• Agree 1

On 2/23/2021 at 2:00 PM, warrior9 said:

Josh Allen Article

In my opinion, I think you do this sooner rather than later. I know his cap won't hit next year, however, we may be able to play with the salary cap issue in our favor. 

Another reason I think you do this sooner rather than later, let's say Josh goes out and wins and MVP (or Super Bowl) next year, his price blows up.

I think it's a no-brainer to do this thing ASAP.

Who's dragging their feet? Beane or Allen's agent?