TBN: Is now a good time for Josh Allen to get his contract extension?

warrior9

3 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

As far as Allen is concerned it’s not smart to sign before Lamar and Baker. Someone is always going to trump someone on these contracts and I’m sure each guy wants the most possible guaranteed

Allen is right in the Mahomes tier $$$ wise right now. Baker and Lamar are in the Prescott tier, which is overpaid, but that's what happens at the QB position. None of them will get more $$$ than Mahomes. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Are they trading him for a TE or Pass Rusher? 

What if he's demanding to wait until next offseason and Beane is giving what he's demanding?

I would trade Eichel for Hightower or Hunter Henry, straight up. If we are going to gut the hockey team, at least maybe make the Bills better. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Allen is right in the Mahomes tier $$$ wise right now. Baker and Lamar are in the Prescott tier, which is overpaid, but that's what happens at the QB position. None of them will get more $$$ than Mahomes. 

If Allen signed today Lamar and Baker would both get more. Whatever order they go in will be who gets the most guaranteed more than likely. I would hate to be Allen and make less than Baker. It’s bad enough Baker already makes more being drafted higher and having ten million commercials 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

If Allen signed today Lamar and Baker would both get more. Whatever order they go in will be who gets the most guaranteed more than likely. I would hate to be Allen and make less than Baker. It’s bad enough Baker already makes more being drafted higher and having ten million commercials 

I mean, I think they would try to get more. Baker hasn't really achieved anything like Lamar and Allen have. Lamar has an MVP under his belt and three straight playoff appearances. Allen put up some insane numbers last year, was 2nd in the MVP voting, and led his team to the AFC Championship game while having been in the playoffs the last two years. Baker has been up and down, but mainly just a serviceable/above average starter for the most part and has been to the playoffs once. Allen's arrow has also been trending up all three years, where the same can't be said about the other two QB's in this convo. We'll see how it plays out, but I don't see any of them getting more than Mahomes and I can't see the other two topping Allen even if Allen signs his deal first. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I wonder which insurance companies will insure future earnings for Josh Allen if he and his representatives choose to not sign extension now in order to get a larger extension later?  Many rookie first round picks get such insurance policies.

If he gets an injury like Alex Smith, not improbable with amount of running he does on both sides of line of scrimmage, they could end up paying a lot.

Sorry buddy but getting an Alex Smith type of injury is improbable. 

Possible? Of course.

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

omg no deal for Allen and the Bills are moving to Austin!  Nooooooo!!!

My question is which is the higher amount for the 2022 season, Allen's pay with his fifth year contract or a brand new contract?

In other words, how do we build a Super Bowl roster?  

I mean, we could win it this year should everything go right but I think on paper Tampa and KC are better teams right now.

Im think with AJ, Groot And Boogie Getting playing time this year, and Jerry, Star And Addison coming year for the books next year, maybe we can sign an impact player to add to our D where ever it turns out we need it, and have another strong draft (I'm assuming we always have a strong draft under Beane which is totally undecided at this point.) 

Anyway, could Beane be holding off on an Allen deal in order to take a big swing at a Super Bowl next year?

24 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

My question is which is the higher amount for the 2022 season, Allen's pay with his fifth year contract or a brand new contract?

(...)

Anyway, could Beane be holding off on an Allen deal in order to take a big swing at a Super Bowl next year?

I'm pretty sure Beane could structure the deal so that a new contract would be less than the 5th year option

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I would hate to make the most money, but not be able to afford a decent OL and WR’s. The difference between $450 million and $400 million (or whatever the numbers are) would not affect my lifestyle.

Getting the crap beaten out of me, having nobody to throw to and losing more than winning would be worth it to take less TO ME. I speak only for myself, but I hope Josh has a little voice in his head chirping something like that. 

He’s better than those other guys and DESERVES more, but I hope it’s not a matter of ego to try to break the bank.

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

I believe the two people least concerned about the timing of Allen's next contract are Josh Allen and Brandon Beane.

Right on eball.  Both camps want to see what next year brings.  It seems to me Beane is not too worried about the overall contract.

Allen's team want to see what the "also rans" are going to get.

Bills are tight against the cap next year with Josh's 5th year option.  Beane probably will want Josh's 5th year to look like Mahomes ($7M hit)

if the cap doesn't rise more than what is stated now.

They both know what the talks are about and both are not worried so I will not be either.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Tre White’s was done 9/5 for context. 

Just seems that's when these mega extensions happen right?  That last week before game week.....early in September..

Good point above about Baker Lamar and Allen agents waiting to see who'll go first.