Texans releasing JJ Watt

Process

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

Pittsburgh is the last place he is going to go.  He's not going to steal his brother's limelight.  My guess is he will sign with the Arizona Cardinals.

I'm not sure he'd steal TJ's limelight.  TJ is a stud at the top of his game, and he is close with his brother.  The main downside to PGH is that they are unlikely SB competitors with a ton of FA questions.  I think PGH and BUF have to be his top choices (family and potential to win v. likely bigger payday, greater ability to win)  

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Being teased!!!

Is he even still good enough at this point to tease us if he doesn't come here? I'm legitimately asking that. To me, kind of he's just a name now. All sizzle no steak. I could be 100% wrong about that though. Maybe he has a few solid years left in him. 

• Eyeroll 1

I know this is a bit of a homer opinion, but after listening to John McClain this morning on WGR I think it's going to come down to Buffalo, Tennessee, or Green Bay for Watt...

If anyone knows what Watt is thinking from the media side it would be McClain, and what were the first words out of him this morning concerning JJ? It will not be about the money...He wants to win a SB...

The GB/WI connections certainly give them a leg up. But GB has bigger Cap issues than the Bills do and they do not have the options to purge along the D-Line that the Bills have in order to make room for JJ...And if I'm betting on a QB to get me to the dance I'm certainly going to give the nod to Josh over Tannehill...Though I do admit Tenn has some very nice pieces on the Offensive side. 

I really think if it's all about winning a SB, and fitting in, the Bills have a great shot...We'll see...B-)

13 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Is he even still good enough at this point to tease us if he doesn't come here? I'm legitimately asking that. To me, kind of he's just a name now. All sizzle no steak. I could be 100% wrong about that though. Maybe he has a few solid years left in him. 

Don’t know, and I’ve never been a JJ Watt fan at all (overrated), but it sure would be nice adding impact players for big games like the AFCCG & SB. If he can at least deliver in them, I will be pleased. Bottom line,  I will defer to Beane.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

Pittsburgh is the last place he is going to go.  He's not going to steal his brother's limelight.  My guess is he will sign with the Arizona Cardinals.

He is looking for a contender... So Steelers and Cards are out.

Edited by TBBills

23 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I know this is a bit of a homer opinion, but after listening to John McClain this morning on WGR I think it's going to come down to Buffalo, Tennessee, or Green Bay for Watt...

If anyone knows what Watt is thinking from the media side it would be McClain, and what were the first words out of him this morning concerning JJ? It will not be about the money...He wants to win a SB...

The GB/WI connections certainly give them a leg up. But GB has bigger Cap issues than the Bills do and they do not have the options to purge along the D-Line that the Bills have in order to make room for JJ...And if I'm betting on a QB to get me to the dance I'm certainly going to give the nod to Josh over Tannehill...Though I do admit Tenn has some very nice pieces on the Offensive side. 

I really think if it's all about winning a SB, and fitting in, the Bills have a great shot...We'll see...B-)

Sounds like everything is pointing to the Titans. 

49 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Would this be any different or productive than when we signed TO.....

47 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

there is much content up thread on this. The most convincing argument is that he had a huge rate of double teams. Higher than Bosa, TJ Watt, Chase Young, Myles Garret, and many others. 

Guys might get doubled on name alone for a series or two, but pretty quick the offense realizes it’s all bark and not bite. - persistent double teams indicate persistent success against single teams. 

54 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

His analytics for 2020 were very, very good...His sack numbers were down, but he was getting no help and constant double teams.

I think I read he led the league in stops behind the line vs the run...B-)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Many thought Suh was done, yet he was a big part of TB defense. I think Suh had 2 sacks in the SB. I remember posters being mocked on here when talking about bringing Suh to Buffalo. Think Suh could’ve helped the defense?

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

His analytics for 2020 were very, very good...His sack numbers were down, but he was getting no help and constant double teams.

I think I read he led the league in stops behind the line vs the run...B-)

He did. I kinda think if we are bringing him in to play end in a 4-3 he might help our run D more than our pass D.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He did. I kinda think if we are bringing him in to play end in a 4-3 he might help our run D more than our pass D.

I think the big point is being missed. Watt would be the anti Mario. If the Bills sign him, his influence on Oliver and Company is what will make the contract worth it. 

I’m not a huge Watt guy and if I had to guess I’d say he is almost toast, not burnt but crispy. I would be all for the signing though, I think putting him around young guys and letting them see his drive will pay dividends.