Jump to content

If the Bills receivers are covered most of the time, why didn't Josh just take off and run?


Recommended Posts

He had big rushing yards when he had to scramble.

Allen, Daboll and McD should have seen this. Chiefs defensive backs were determined on blanketing our receivers.

If Allen couldn't find open receivers, why didn't our QB just take off and run?

 

Edited by Joe Ferguson
  • Eyeroll 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Why didn't Josh just take off and run? He had big rushing yards when he had to scramble.

Allen, Daboll and McD should have seen this. Chiefs defensive backs were determined on blanketing our receivers.

If Allen couldn't find open receivers, why didn't our QB just take off and run?

 

If you rewatch the game you’ll notice throws to the backs and TE where there all day but the Chiefs had zero fear these guys could do anything after the catch 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If you rewatch the game you’ll notice throws to the backs and TE where there all day but the Chiefs had zero fear these guys could do anything after the catch 

That’s what Brady would have done. James White would have had 150yards back in the day

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If you rewatch the game you’ll notice throws to the backs and TE where there all day but the Chiefs had zero fear these guys could do anything after the catch 

 

 

It wasn't so much zero fear after the catch as it was willingness to put up with the consequences. They got some nice little gains when they went that way. No, we don't have a Tyreek who you'd fear like you do him. But when they got the ball to the short receivers, we did OK, fairly consistently.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a reason to have a RB who can hurt the other team with a big chunk of yardage.  Yes, an underneath route would work,  but not just to someone who can catch an uncontested 3 yard pass and then get 1.23 yards of YAC.  ... ...  A burner.  Get 15 to 50 yards.  Force the linebackers to cover the short zones.  Force the DB to have to watch the QB and RB as well as just shadowing the WR.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

MB, you make a good point in that instead of they had no fear, Allen should’ve thrown to the RB’s and TE’s and take what they were giving us, or he runs.  That’s why he ran for just under 100 yards.  That was a good decision, but we have to trust our RB’s and TE’s.  Not using Yeldon more was a mistake.  He should’ve been our primary back Sunday evening.  Knox caught some passes, but I said last year we should’ve made a bigger push for Hooper. He’s no Kelce, but we also had a chance with Ertz.

 

TE is a glaring need for this team.   Knox can be a decent second TE, but we need a true #1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If you rewatch the game you’ll notice throws to the backs and TE where there all day but the Chiefs had zero fear these guys could do anything after the catch 

Were they? Lol I was there and did not see that outside of several times where he chose a downfield throw into single coverage.  They really weren't giving us anything.  It looked to me like every time we had a check down getting us modest yardage josh took it but I haven't rewatched the game

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

That’s what Brady would have done. James White would have had 150yards back in the day

Exactly Brady would have had a field day with just a few pre snap adjustments getting their RBs the ball in space Josh will learn after watching this 

3 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Were they? Lol I was there and did not see that outside of several times where he chose a downfield throw into single coverage.  They really weren't giving us anything.  It looked to me like every time we had a check down getting us modest yardage josh took it but I haven't rewatched the game

If you watch how easy they allowed Knox to release and Singletary out of the backfield they had zero fear these guys could do anything after they got the ball 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In order for us to beat KC we needed to run more to make them honest (and stop Kelce) and that could have been done a lot this game from Allen.  It's a shame Moss got injured because he really was starting to get in a groove and could have balanced us out that game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

In order for us to beat KC we needed to run more to make them honest (and stop Kelce) and that could have been done a lot this game from Allen.  It's a shame Moss got injured because he really was starting to get in a groove and could have balanced us out that game.


I don’t know that we needed to run more, but we needed to be able to depend on our running backs more.  
 

KC’s glaring weakness all year has been defending RB’s and TE’s.   They were happy to let us dump off to guys who can’t turn a 5 yard gain into a 15 yard gain.  
 

That issue became even more glaring when Josh lost any semblance of faith he had in check downs when Singletary dropped that pass.  

 

Edited by SCBills
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a game of split second decisions. Unfortunately Josh was taking too long to make them. Quite often the check down was open early but he was staring downfield hoping the primary was open. The result was either a sack, or a covered check down by the time he came back to it. Daboll should’ve seen this and adjusted early in the second half while the game was still in reach. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Why didn't Josh just take off and run? He had big rushing yards when he had to scramble.

Allen, Daboll and McD should have seen this. Chiefs defensive backs were determined on blanketing our receivers.

If Allen couldn't find open receivers, why didn't our QB just take off and run?

 

I felt this way as well. I know others are saying he ran for good yardage and it’s true. But, without rewatching the game yet, I feel like it was too late when he did it. If he’d have done it several times early, maybe they would have had to respect it and not stick to the receivers so much. But doing it late, they didn’t give a crap if he ran. They just needed to protect a lead and the running just helped milk the clock. 
 

I remember this specifically on an 18 yarder he got late in the game. Nice run for the yardage but strategically was too little too late. Couldn’t affect the opposing game plan at that point. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Why didn't Josh just take off and run? He had big rushing yards when he had to scramble.

Allen, Daboll and McD should have seen this. Chiefs defensive backs were determined on blanketing our receivers.

If Allen couldn't find open receivers, why didn't our QB just take off and run?

 

 

He rarely had time to make decisions. the OL was not doing well

Chiefs were getting away with a lot of physical play - if they realized JA is going to try running, they would have keyed on hurting him

There is only so much running a QB should do and it should be his 3rd or 4th option (unless its a designed run). 

Cant blame JA or coaches for this. 

OL was getting manhandled on several plays and we didnt have a RB-led running game to counter

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

even with our total junk interior blocking this game, a prime shady would have had 150+ yards from scrimmage on sunday.  having close to zero at TE and RB is just too big of a hole, good thing is it can be fixed quickly

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s a game of split second decisions. Unfortunately Josh was taking too long to make them. Quite often the check down was open early but he was staring downfield hoping the primary was open. The result was either a sack, or a covered check down by the time he came back to it. Daboll should’ve seen this and adjusted early in the second half while the game was still in reach. 

 

I agree with you.. saw this as well during the game.  KC sped up the game with their D-line and a few blitzes and Josh's eyes weren't quick enough to get him out of trouble. So he ended up throwing a few high incompletions to the sidelines (which would not have gained much yardage anyway)...a few sacks when he just held the ball forever...a few throw away's.  In the first half i wanted more scrambles but I'm sure both Daboll and Allen wanted to crank up the passing game and kinda' forced it.  This is one of those games we can revisit and "what-if" all day, but the bottom line is that KC has better personnel on both sides of the ball.

 

Right now Mahomes is just better than Allen at the quick decisions when things go south in the pocket.  Plus he has better athletes to sling the ball to...but i have to credit Mahomes.  He's the best right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Why didn't Josh just take off and run? He had big rushing yards when he had to scramble.

Allen, Daboll and McD should have seen this. Chiefs defensive backs were determined on blanketing our receivers.

If Allen couldn't find open receivers, why didn't our QB just take off and run?

 


I think there were a few issues, first off the OL was beaten badly especially in the middle of the line.  Made it hard to escape pressure.

 

The second part is that there aren’t fast dump offs that Josh can make.  I think Beane and company need to find more speed at RB and TE where Josh can dump the ball and make teams pay.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I think Beane and company need to find more speed at RB and TE where Josh can dump the ball and make teams pay.  

 

Every day I become more certain in my belief that Etienne needs to be the pick if he's there. He could be the x factor that puts our offense at the same level as KC. He is also the best player to attack KC's defense specifically.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

MB, you make a good point in that instead of they had no fear, Allen should’ve thrown to the RB’s and TE’s and take what they were giving us, or he runs.  That’s why he ran for just under 100 yards.  That was a good decision, but we have to trust our RB’s and TE’s.  Not using Yeldon more was a mistake.  He should’ve been our primary back Sunday evening.  Knox caught some passes, but I said last year we should’ve made a bigger push for Hooper. He’s no Kelce, but we also had a chance with Ertz.

 

TE is a glaring need for this team.   Knox can be a decent second TE, but we need a true #1.

"use" of the TE is the glaring problem

Knox should have had 15 targets

even falling down, they would have moved the chains

 

however, they should have hit him on slants and down the seam as well

16 minutes ago, zow2 said:

 

I agree with you.. saw this as well during the game.  KC sped up the game with their D-line and a few blitzes and Josh's eyes weren't quick enough to get him out of trouble. So he ended up throwing a few high incompletions to the sidelines (which would not have gained much yardage anyway)...a few sacks when he just held the ball forever...a few throw away's.  In the first half i wanted more scrambles but I'm sure both Daboll and Allen wanted to crank up the passing game and kinda' forced it.  This is one of those games we can revisit and "what-if" all day, but the bottom line is that KC has better personnel on both sides of the ball.

 

Right now Mahomes is just better than Allen at the quick decisions when things go south in the pocket.  Plus he has better athletes to sling the ball to...but i have to credit Mahomes.  He's the best right now.

much easier for KC when Bills were playing soft zone leaving guys wide open

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Exactly Brady would have had a field day with just a few pre snap adjustments getting their RBs the ball in space Josh will learn after watching this 

If you watch how easy they allowed Knox to release and Singletary out of the backfield they had zero fear these guys could do anything after they got the ball 

we allowed Kelce free release too

maybe fear of consequences was not the driving reason

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Joe Ferguson changed the title to If the Bills receivers are covered most of the time, why didn't Josh just take off and run?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...