Is any part of Singletary's game elite? [Edited: title from merged thread]

r henderson

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

And I'm not saying I will be mad if the Bills don't draft a RB early this year, but to keep up with KC they need to make this offense even better next year and that is one way to do it. No need to wait for a rookie WR or TE to adjust to the pro game. Get a RB that has speed and can catch the ball and plug him in.

The Chiefs don't need to use RBs in their pass game because they have an elite WR and TE. We aren't going to pull another elite offensive player out of a hat. We need to try a different strategy.

I hear you. I just think you have to keep long term franchise building in mind and spending firsts on RBs is not how you build a consistent winner imo.

Maybe try to get a Rashad Penny cheaply on the trade market.

Edited by FireChans

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Knox is simply not consistent enough to be a focal point of our offense.

I'll be honest I don't know enough to say if this is true or not. The drops earlier in the year frustrated me but lately he has seemed pretty consistent to me. I don't know if we don't throw to him because he can't get open or because Daboll doesn't bother trying to make him a focal point. He has elite athleticism so I find it hard to believe he can't get open against LBs.

7 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I just think you have to keep long term franchise building in mind and spending firsts on RBs is not how you build a consistent winner imo.

I actually think that the Bills should be willing to sacrifice the long term a little in exchange for the short term over the next 2-3 seasons. That is about how long we have before I expect Allen's cap hit to limit what the team can afford. We have a prime Super Bowl window and right now KC is the main obstacle to that. I would be okay drafting a pass catching RB in the 1st even knowing that they're unlikely to stay here past their rookie deal because we really only need them to play at a high level for a few years. And it's not like drafting a DE or TE or whoever else at the end of the 1st is guaranteed to work out short or long term.

Is any part of Devin Singletary’s game elite?

Does he have above average speed? No 

Does he have above average size? No 

Does he run with power? No 

Does he have game breaking ability? No

Is he good in the red zone? No 

The only thing he’s elite at is Pass Blocking, but other than that he’s average at everything else which won’t cut it. 

Zach Moss might be a good RB but he’ll never be above average. Moss is not the RB1 either but at least he’s a bigger, more physical, and speedier RB than Devin Singletary. At least Zach Moss has VALUE, but other than pass blocking Devin Singletary DOESN’T. Going forward Moss deserves to be the RB2 but he’s not the game breaking back we desperately need. 

Beane has a huge decision to make at RB this offseason. Does he draft a third RB three drafts in a row or does he sign a marquee free agent like Aaron Jones? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Is any part of Singletary's game elite? [Edited: title from merged thread]

I feel really bad about Singletary because he strikes me as a ripping team first player. And up until the halfway mark this season I still thought he would be a long-term running back for the Bills.

But sadly he has regressed quite badly and on the face of it does not appear to have the necessary traits of a top notch RB. I think we need to cut our losses and and find another RB1.

Maybe he finds another gear next season but I am not too confident.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Singletary would be a great 3rd rb on a team

Moss a 2

Need s starter still.

I dont think mcd or daboll want a true rb1 I think they wanted a committee but a committee needs speed. Moss or even Singletary that split with a speed rb could work. Like what Hines brings to the Colts, hes not bell cow but he can break off a 30 yard run on a simple dump off, Singletary and moss will never do that, they get caught by linebackers and D ends. Just the presence of speed makes the defense adjust.

8 hours ago, mannc said:

It’s unfortunate because we’ve used two high draft picks on RBs in the past two drafts and we have nothing to show for it—and it’s an easy position to scout and draft.

I thought Devin had a chance to be good, but he regressed badly. If he can't even block, he's useless. 

Just now, Eastport bills said:

I thought Devin had a chance to be good, but he regressed badly. If he can't even block, he's useless. 

Using a third round pick on a RB is like using a first round pick on a WR.  It ain’t that hard.  To whiff twice in a row on those picks is ....concerning.

i agree wholeheartedly with the drift of this chat.  one thing that sticks in my craw: the bills coaches are really really conservative to swap in and out skill players.  davis was in no shape to play, brown was dinged up, and beez was in and out (heroic effort from him) but we didn't throw in Stills and barely put mac in.  meanwhile KC dumps their 1st rounder for a guy who was driving UPS trucks and smoked us with him.

On D, we have corners alternate, have nearly 10MM a year DEs not suit up, and rotate all game.  they have unlimited flexibility to move guys around on D, but treat skill positions on O like they are rocket surgery.  makes no sense!

part of me wonders what our practice breakdown problems are.  i feel like we don't spend enough time on situational plays that we can go back to and maybe change up over time to TEs and RBs.  i dig some might be due to lack of talent, but KC took our bread and butter away (helped by injuries) and we had no answer.  on the flip side, their whole O were the two most obvious players they have, and we didn't even seem to try to stop it schematically.

Singletary is so “meh” it hurts.

That drop last night in the 2nd quarter on that swing pass sent things down hill fast. I told my buddy’s after the drop, it seemed like ***** hit the fan quick.

Seems like a good kid, but we need a huge upgrade at RB.

He isn’t going to cut it.

Edited by McBean

I'm fine with Singletary as a change-of-pace back.  He didn't perform well this year at all, but he showed enough flashes last year that I'm fine with him having a role on this team.  But that role can't be RB1 or RB1-B.  This position needs an upgrade.  The silver lining here is that it's blindingly obvious that our coaching staff is dissatisfied with the RB room, and it's not terribly difficult to find RBs in the draft and FA.