I got fired because I didn't want to work when the bills were playing

Adamb412

Hmm.  My dad always said to never quit a job unless you've got another one lined up (and if I did I'd better not expect to come live with him.)

I guess as long as you know where your groceries and rent are coming from.  I always thought you can't get unemployment for quitting a job (which in essence is what happened since you told them you couldn't work your scheduled shift.)

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, section122 said:

Resignation instead of termination is still eligible for Unemployment in some cases.

The new employer will have an incredibly small liability for UI.  Former employers may perhaps have some liability.  In this instance the employee requested time off and it will rely on company policy regarding such requests whether or not they will be eligible.  Seems like a short sighted decision on the employers behalf but we are lacking too many relevant details to make any sort of call.

Source - am HR guy.

I’ll keep you on speed dial HR guy👍🏼

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Calling in "sick" isn't really an option for a lot of workers. I know that when restaurants are actually open, I can't get a Saturday off without some serious advance planning. And even then, sometimes not at all. 

A while back I got married on a Saturday. Not a single one of my fellow Tempo servers (there were three with whom I was VERY tight) could get off work even with AMPLE notice. 

I finally got to Tempo just as the pandemic hit.  I enjoyed it.  Very good food, more than ample portions and options for drinkable but inexpensive wine.  Wait staff was good.  Excellent value overall.  I was looking forward to going again and hope I still can at some point.

Congrats on the wedding.  Sorry your Tempo friends couldn’t be there. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Adamb412 said:

I told my boss I needed Saturday night off, it's a fairly new job so it was whatever. He said he wasn't going to give me off so I told him I was going to not be in. He said ok then you're fired.....

Go bills

In order to fully evaluate the impact of this, we need to know your age, the nature of the job, and the salary involved.

I have no problems with the way the OP handled this.  A POS job with a douche as a boss is not worth investing your time.

But let this be a cautionary tale for the newbies/youngsters out there to consult the board prior to these decisions.  Back in the day the Monday after Superbowls were extremely tough.  Luckily this year you can easily pull the cough/covid card and sleep it off.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I finally got to Tempo just as the pandemic hit.  I enjoyed it.  Very good food, more than ample portions and options for drinkable but inexpensive wine.  Wait staff was good.  Excellent value overall.  I was looking forward to going again and hope I still can at some point.

Congrats on the wedding.  Sorry your Tempo friends couldn’t be there. 

Thanks and eff Tempo lol

Worked there for 8 years until the pandemic hit. Best damned 2nd job in the world, if you don't like sleep or free time. Got to know a number of Bills and Sabres folks over the years. Lots of stories.

51 minutes ago, Adamb412 said:

I told my boss I needed Saturday night off, it's a fairly new job so it was whatever. He said he wasn't going to give me off so I told him I was going to not be in. He said ok then you're fired.....

Go bills

I’ve done that before, when you are a skilled pipe fitter work comes to u

• Haha (+1) 1

Rookie mistakes!!!!

When I was a bartender for 15 years I had to always find a way to get out of some shifts cause the dang place never closed!

So I have made a lot of epic call offs, but my favorite was for ST. Patrick's one year:

Have friend call into your job looking for you to let you know that your family is looking for you and your <insert x family member of importance> just had a <heart attack, stroke, fell, etc>

Show up to work unknowingly and have your boss tell you and then allow you to walk out scott free from sympathy to be with family without even having to call in sick.

Its all about preparation and team work.

;)

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Adamb412 said:

Go bills

What was the job?  Do you need references?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.