Will Deshaun Watson get traded? Could he land in AFCE?

Alphadawg7

Will Watson get traded?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Odds Watson is traded this season

• 100%
    • 50%
    • 20%
    • 0%
  2. 2. If he does get traded where will he go?

• Jets
    • Jags
    • Miami
    • Other

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

Yes but they were playing from behind so much so he was throwing a ton and defenses in softer coverage. 

I'm not saying he's not good by any stretch... I just think his numbers MAY have been inflated. This is a very similar situation to someone like a Stafford. Great QB, awful organization and talent around him. 

Be careful with this line- I was ripped apart for pointing this out in another thread. 

31 minutes ago, Doc said:

I heard this on the way home.  I guess people don't understand a little thing called the salary cap.  Even if trading-away a great young talent at QB weren't dumb enough.

His contract is tradeable.  So its not like no one has heard of the cap.  I see people mentioning teams like Pats here though, and yeah, then there are cap issues.  But Jets, Miami, and Jags can easily do it.  Houston takes a hit this year, much like Beane did took a hit one year on the cap before he headed into a clean cap as they ramped up their rebuild.

So while you are right to an extent about the cap, you're also wrong about how you are suggesting its not possible here because of it, as it definitely is possible.  Doesn't mean its gonna happen, just saying the cap is not an accurate reason to say it 100% wont.  

1 hour ago, 17islongenough said:

Either way Texans are screwed.  You keep him you have nothing around him and nothing to build around him.  You trade him away you can get players but wont have a QB.  Caserio has a tough road ahead of him. 

It takes 1-2 good drafts and a few FA pickups to completely retool on the fly.. you don't need 5 year rebuilds anymore in this league.  They have the most difficult piece to find already at QB and would be insane to trade him to "start over".

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

His contract is tradeable.  So its not like no one has heard of the cap.  I see people mentioning teams like Pats here though, and yeah, then there are cap issues.  But Jets, Miami, and Jags can easily do it.  Houston takes a hit this year, much like Beane did took a hit one year on the cap before he headed into a clean cap as they ramped up their rebuild.

So while you are right to an extent about the cap, you're also wrong about how you are suggesting its not possible here because of it, as it definitely is possible.  Doesn't mean its gonna happen, just saying the cap is not an accurate reason to say it 100% wont.  

Here's a decent breakdown of all

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/top-deshaun-watson-landing-spots-if-traded-2021/

I put 20% because with everything that has gone on around that team, whether who was in charge then or now, you just never know. And Watson could also try to force his way out. I read an article about this today on PFT and they said the cap hit would be around $21,000,000 if they traded him, even with him just signing the new deal. If he becomes a malcontent, and they can get a king's ransom for him on the market, then it could possibly happen. 

38 minutes ago, Doc said:

I still don't see it.  He proved this year he's a top-5 QB even without a stud WR.  Moving him would be the height of stupidity.

No but after 2022 if they are a mess it is feasible. Not saying it will happen, but it is feasible if he really tries to force it kinda Carson Palmer style.

2 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

Nobody is trading QB’s of this quality. It doesn’t happen. Older vets like  Stafford sure, Watson not happening. JA never being traded in next 5-10 years. 

True. I can't even recall an instance of an elite QB in his prime years getting traded.

That even goes for the sub-elite like Kirk Cousins, who was franchise tagged for a couple years before they let him walk.

The closest example I can come up with is Jay Cutler, but for obvious reasons he doesn't really fit the bill (elite? not really ... better than average? yes)

2 hours ago, appoo said:

Watson, Mahomes and Rodgers are the only QBs I'd even CONSIDER swapping Allen for, for the next 2-3 years (ignoring contract). That dude deserves a better football team around him

Rodgers????   Really... not a chance in hell man why would you trade Allen for Rodgers and loose 13 years of having a franchise QB????   CRAZY TALK

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

True. I can't even recall an instance of an elite QB in his prime years getting traded.

That even goes for the sub-elite like Kirk Cousins, who was franchise tagged for a couple years before they let him walk.

The closest example I can come up with is Jay Cutler, but for obvious reasons he doesn't really fit the bill (elite? not really ... better than average? yes)

Brees, but the Chargers had drafted Phillip Rivers and Drew hadn't gone Super Saiyan yet. 

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

True it doesn't look as bad for a trade (versus being cut, which is where I made a mistake). 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

Brees, but the Chargers had drafted Phillip Rivers and Drew hadn't gone Super Saiyan yet. 

Getting closer ...

... so who's the last true elite QB in his prime (let's say "still in his 20s") to get traded? It has to have happened.

There was this way back when (I only thought about Roman Gabriel because I just mentioned him in the "most physically gifted QB ever" thread)

https://fs64sports.blogspot.com/2013/06/1973-eagles-pay-heavy-price-in-trade.html

But Gabriel was already 32 and a bit past his prime.