Will Deshaun Watson get traded? Could he land in AFCE?

Alphadawg7

Will Watson get traded?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Odds Watson is traded this season

• 100%
    • 50%
    • 20%
    • 0%
  2. 2. If he does get traded where will he go?

• Jets
    • Jags
    • Miami
    • Other

2 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Yeah. I remember when I worked for IBM years ago and they hired John Akers as the CEO without consulting me or asking my opinion. I was PO'D!

🙄

Were you the highest paid employee and face of the company, directly responsible for the product they put out?

• Like (+1) 1

The Jets sending Darnold and both of their 1sts (#2 and #25ish) could maybe get it done.

That gives Houston's new GM some picks to work with. Could take Smith #2 to give Darnold some weapons, or even trade back a bit with a team who is hot for Fields and stack more picks.

Fun exercise even if it unlikely to happen.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

Well if O'brien was still there maybe especially the way he's whining about not having any say but unless he really pisses off the new GM in some way i don't see him leaving he's the man in Houston for the time being ...

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Jets sending Darnold and both of their 1sts (#2 and #25ish) could maybe get it done.

That gives Houston's new GM some picks to work with. Could take Smith #2 to give Darnold some weapons, or even trade back a bit with a team who is hot for Fields and stack more picks.

Fun exercise even if it unlikely to happen.

I'd want more. I'd want both of their 1sts this year, their 1st next year, Darnold and a mid round pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd want more. I'd want both of their 1sts this year, their 1st next year, Darnold and a mid round pick. 

Yeah, I think that’s the asking price.  Could be a good trade for both teams.  The Jets haven’t had a qb in forever and the Texans are going nowhere fast with their current roster, no cap room, and no draft picks.  It’s a huge risk, but the payoff could be huge, too.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Yeah. I remember when I worked for IBM years ago and they hired John Akers as the CEO without consulting me or asking my opinion. I was PO'D!

🙄

One of the worst takes I've read on here (and that's saying something). 

Deshaun Watson just signed a 4 year 156mm contract. The guys opinion matters. I'll also point out that he didn't want to have final say or anything, he just wanted to be considered. 

From ESPN article:

This time, Watson had met with Texans owner Cal McNair in several instances, sharing thoughts on certain candidates who came highly recommended, with Watson suggesting that the team at least talk to them, sources told ESPN. He did not expect Houston to hire those he endorsed, but Watson was hoping the Texans would respect the feelings of the group of teammates he was trying to represent, sources told ESPN.

Watson wanted to at least have the opportunity to meet with ownership's finalists so he could offer thoughts from a player standpoint to benefit the team -- and then the Texans could hire who they wanted. That opportunity never came.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

🙄

ok guy. Did the board explicitly tell you they were going to consult with you before hiring the CEO and then just change their mind and hire Akers? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So not equivalent at all. Got it. :thumbsup:

So you honestly think that an employee should have a say in hiring situations by ownership? 

10 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Hold on Returntoglory, are you a sentient ThinkPad?

Aren't we all ?

Any sane franchise would not trade Watson for anything short of a Ricky Williams plus sized haul (like 2 hole drafts worth of picks, including #1 or #2 overall picks) and even then it's probably not a great trade.  Still, Houston has shown that they are dumb, and so who knows IF it will happen.  I do know that if NE ends up with him it will suck.

25 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

One of the worst takes I've read on here (and that's saying something). 

Deshaun Watson just signed a 4 year 156mm contract. The guys opinion matters. I'll also point out that he didn't want to have final say or anything, he just wanted to be considered. 

From ESPN article:

This time, Watson had met with Texans owner Cal McNair in several instances, sharing thoughts on certain candidates who came highly recommended, with Watson suggesting that the team at least talk to them, sources told ESPN. He did not expect Houston to hire those he endorsed, but Watson was hoping the Texans would respect the feelings of the group of teammates he was trying to represent, sources told ESPN.

Watson wanted to at least have the opportunity to meet with ownership's finalists so he could offer thoughts from a player standpoint to benefit the team -- and then the Texans could hire who they wanted. That opportunity never came.

Thank you.

BUT for the record, if he was promised to have a sit down with a candidate, that should be honored.

Once again though, he's a player and at what point does this end? If he gives his opinion on a candidate and that candidate does not get selected, then what?

I'm sorry but IMHO there has to be a line drawn.

6 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Any sane franchise would not trade Watson for anything short of a Ricky Williams plus sized haul (like 2 hole drafts worth of picks, including #1 or #2 overall picks) and even then it's probably not a great trade.  Still, Houston has shown that they are dumb, and so who knows IF it will happen.  I do know that if NE ends up with him it will suck.

If the Texans don’t make that trade, how do the next couple years look for them?  Do you think Deshaun Watson will still be in one piece when they finally get out of the hole BoB dug for them?   I think they need to do something radical to change the trajectory of the franchise...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

Thank you.

BUT for the record, if he was promised to have a sit down with a candidate, that should be honored.

Once again though, he's a player and at what point does this end? If he gives his opinion on a candidate and that candidate does not get selected, then what?

I'm sorry but IMHO there has to be a line drawn.

Then he at least felt heard and that he had a chance to contribute. There is a great concept in business (and even personal) communication called "Disagree and Commit". Both/All sides get to say their piece and then the person in charge makes the final decision. And if it doesnt go your way, you at least know you were heard and considered, and you will commit to whatever that final decision is. I think that is all Deshaun wanted after Ownership said they would. But they didnt even give hm the chance. That is incredibly insulting and demeaning to anyone, regardless of their place in the chain. To tell them you'll listen to them and then ignore them. Would have been better off not looping him in at all.

The other rub is, it is being reported Houston Ownership hired a consulting firm like the Pegulas did, were handed a list of candidates, and then ignored THAT list as well.

Not a good look. I wouldnt be happy working for people like that either.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, mannc said:

If the Texans don’t make that trade, how do the next couple years look for them?  Do you think Deshaun Watson will still be in one piece when they finally get out of the hole BoB dug for them?   I think they need to do something radical to change the trajectory of the franchise...

I disagree slightly with this. I think 2021 will be tough but 2022 they have 9 picks and only Watson and Howard with any guaranteed money on the cap. It is a completely blank sheet of paper to rebuild from and you have the most important piece in place. With solid decision making it needn't be a long rebuild in Houston.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree slightly with this. I think 2021 will be tough but 2022 they have 9 picks and only Watson and Howard with any guaranteed money on the cap. It is a completely blank sheet of paper to rebuild from and you have the most important piece in place. With solid decision making it needn't be a long rebuild in Houston.

Fair enough, but you're talking about two more years in the wilderness with an unhappy franchise QB who has a limited number of years of high productivity, who's not very big, and who has taken quite a beating in his first four years in the league.   I think Watson has the ability to force their hand, if he wants to.

• Thank you (+1) 1