Will Deshaun Watson get traded? Could he land in AFCE?

Alphadawg7

Will Watson get traded?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Odds Watson is traded this season

• 100%
    • 50%
    • 20%
    • 0%
  2. 2. If he does get traded where will he go?

• Jets
    • Jags
    • Miami
    • Other

Per usual this time of year, trade rumors are already beginning.  And mostly they never amount to anything.  However was seeing on Twitter today some chatter that there is a growing belief that Watson is going to demand a trade. Hasn’t happened yet, so nothing substantial yet to this.  But Watsons contract is actually pretty tradeable, so this could be a real possibility.

HOWEVER:  Let’s fast forward and assume he does request a trade.  One team that has immediately been linked to him and has the fire power to actually pull off a trade the Texans just might jump at is none other than the Jets.

With the number 2 pick and 2 additional first round picks from Seattle (one this year and next year), they have the type of ammunition that could definitely tempt the Texans to trade him.  Not to mention, the ability to include Darnold who has potential still and could just benefit from a change of scenery.  

I doubt Texans will explore trades on their own, I do think it likely takes a Watson trade demand for this to become an option.  Watson is a guy you build around, especially given he’s just entering his prime.

But, I do think there is a strong possibility he could demand a trade, I mean I wouldn’t blame him after how poorly that place was run since he got there and how far away they are from a contending roster. They need a whole rebuild.  

And if he does, I think there would be a very strong chance he ends up with the Jets as he jump starts their rebuild.

Other teams with firepower would be Dolphins and Jags.  So they would also be strong contenders too, especially Miami that include Tua, Houston’s original #4 pick back and more.  Jags could trade them Trevor Lawerence essentially too, so they can’t be counted out.  Although, I doubt Jags pass on Lawerence and having also a rookie contract for him while they rebuild.  

Thoughts?  You think he will be a major trade this off-season?  If so, where do you see him landing.

Personally, I voted 50% and Miami as I think there is a decent chance he will request the trade given the state of that roster and organization.  I see more Jets tsk about this, but I think Watson would prefer Miami as they could immediately vault into real contender status with him there and I think Miami would be all over this sending Tua and multiple firsts for him.  It does worry me that two obvious candidates to potentially land him are in our AFCE division based on the kinds of packages they can offer.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

• Alphadawg7 changed the title to Will Deshaun Watson get traded? Could he land in AFCE?
2 minutes ago, appoo said:

Watson, Mahomes and Rodgers are the only QBs I'd even CONSIDER swapping Allen for, for the next 2-3 years (ignoring contract). That dude deserves a better football team around him

Swapping Allen?  Yeah no, there isn’t anyone I would trade Allen for right now. 

But yes, Watson is wasting away in Houston and they are facing a full rebuild with no first round picks either and far from contending.  So I do think there is a reasonable possibility he requests a trade, and THIS would be the right year to do it if you’re Houston and willing to do it because the type of compensation they could get would be excellent right now.  Could get a young guy like a Darnold or Tua to try and develop whole also getting multiple first round picks where in either scenario you would get 2nd or 4th pick as well.  Giving them ammo to also draft a QB one if they want one of the available ones there as well.  Maybe even land Lawerence if they can get Jags to bite.

Be interesting to see if anything comes of this over the off-season.  Again, I don’t see Houston doing anything unless Watson demands a trade.  

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I voted 0%.

its amazing— people don’t realize it, but Watson had his best season this year. And the talent around him wasn’t nearly as good.  

Um I fully realize that.  Has nothing to do with giving up on Watson.  Read my post, said it would require WATSON demanding a trade.  Literally said Houston wouldn’t likely consider this unless Watson demands to be traded.

Houston threw away a ton of draft picks in bad trades.  They don’t have a first this year either as Miami owns it.  They are far from contending and have a limited cupboard to rebuild.  

It’s not unreasonable to see Watson and his team try and get out of town to not waste his career there.  

one can never say that their is no chance.

Jets... May stick with Sam.  Get a new HC and a trial period.

Miami has the draft capital to take a QB in the draft.  

NE....  is an option.  But Jimmy G may be available

other divisions 

Jax  ... it's plausible

Steelers, Colts might be in the market

The other options are Denver and Vegas. 

• Like (+1) 1

Why would they trade watson???  Texans or Bill O'Brien already reached the maximum levels of pure stupidity of getting rid of their players past for a bag of chips.....that trend does not continue....

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Um I fully realize that.  Has nothing to do with giving up on Watson.  Read my post, said it would require WATSON demanding a trade.  Literally said Houston wouldn’t likely consider this unless Watson demands to be traded.

Houston threw away a ton of draft picks in bad trades.  They don’t have a first this year either as Miami owns it.  They are far from contending and have a limited cupboard to rebuild.  

It’s not unreasonable to see Watson and his team try and get out of town to not waste his career there.  

Whoa there— not criticizing your post or this thread. I saw the rumors swirling this morning, so it’s relevant.  I was just surprised myself when I actually went and looked at his stats, and they were ridiculously good. 

I highly doubt Watson gets traded by Houston or wants to be traded. The guy just signed a 4 year 160 million dollar contract extension. In 2022 and 2023 he is slotted to make 82+ million dollars. For the Texans the Dead cap $ over 21mill is a complete waste. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/deshaun-watson-21753/

He knows the B.O.B cancer has left the building. Houston is a dream come true for whomever the new HC is going to be, most important piece of the puzzle is already there and signed through 2025.

Edited by Real McNasty

12 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Whoa there— not criticizing your post or this thread. I saw the rumors swirling this morning, so it’s relevant.  I was just surprised myself when I actually went and looked at his stats, and they were ridiculously good. 

All good, I only capitalized WATSON to clarify.  Didnt mean for it to sound so defensive, just fully clarifying my original thoughts.  

• Like (+1) 1

He’s not going anywhere. He’s THE attractive aspect in luring good GM, HC, and FA prospects to that team. He’s also the shortest solution to getting that program turned around. He won’t be the first HOF caliber QB to languish with a bad team and he won’t be the last.

• Like (+1) 2

I said 50% chance.

New regime coming in, and while Watson would probably be the one piece I'd want to keep (Watt would be the first player I traded away), I could see a new GM moving both of them in order to re-stock picks and do a complete rebuild. Even though this is unlikely. I'm still playing along because, hey, it's the NFL, and both Watson and Watt are extremely unhappy in Houston.

What about Denver? They need to do something drastic to keep competing in that division with Mahomes, and now Herbert. Will have a new GM coming in.

12 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

I highly doubt Watson gets traded by Houston or wants to be traded. The guy just signed a 4 year 160 million dollar contract extension. In 2022 and 2023 he is slotted to make 82+ million dollars. For the Texans the Dead cap $ over 118 mill would destroy that club over the next 2years.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/deshaun-watson-21753/

He knows the B.O.B cancer has left the building. Houston is a dream come true for whomever the new HC and GM are going to be, most important piece of the puzzle is already there and signed through 2025.

If he really wants out, he could re-structure that contract.  He can't do anything about the 27M Signing bonus which he already has in his bank account, but is prorated over the next 4 years, that's going to stay on the Texans Cap no matter what. But his next roster bonus isn't till 2023, and he can re-negotiate his base pay to something far less significant.

He'd be taking a ton less money to move on, but if he REALLY wanted to, he could facilitate a trade, to say Oakland who have weapons and a good coach.

50 minutes ago, appoo said:

Watson, Mahomes and Rodgers are the only QBs I'd even CONSIDER swapping Allen for, for the next 2-3 years (ignoring contract). That dude deserves a better football team around him

Oh hellz no. Wat are you gonna do with a 40 year old Rodgers? We got gold here. 10-15 years of potential dominance. Watson isn't in that conversation either now imo. 

• Agree 1