Will Deshaun Watson get traded? Could he land in AFCE?

Alphadawg7

Will Watson get traded?  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Odds Watson is traded this season

• 100%
    • 50%
    • 20%
    • 0%
  2. 2. If he does get traded where will he go?

• Jets
    • Jags
    • Miami
    • Other

4 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Oh hellz no. Wat are you gonna do with a 40 year old Rodgers? We got gold here. 10-15 years of potential dominance. Watson isn't in that conversation either now imo. 

My post was mostly about current ability.

So long as Daboll is doing the Yoda - Luke thing with Allen, I wouldn't change this for pretty much anything. I mean if you trade Allen for Mahomes, that's not worth it unless you bring along Bienemy

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Per usual this time of year, trade rumors are already beginning.  And mostly they never amount to anything.  However was seeing on Twitter today some chatter that there is a growing belief that Watson is going to demand a trade. Hasn’t happened yet, so nothing substantial yet to this.  But Watsons contract is actually pretty tradeable, so this could be a real possibility.

I sure hope Texans are not stupid enough to trade a young player who the new staff can build around. I can understand trading players to build up draft capital but a QB, and one who has performed so well with mediocre supporting cast, should not be one of those chips. 

Look at players like JJ Watt instead. To re-iterate, you do NOT trade away a good QB who may not even have hit his prime yet. 

50 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I voted 0%.

its amazing— people don’t realize it, but Watson had his best season this year. And the talent around him wasn’t nearly as good.  

Yes but they were playing from behind so much so he was throwing a ton and defenses in softer coverage. 

I'm not saying he's not good by any stretch... I just think his numbers MAY have been inflated. This is a very similar situation to someone like a Stafford. Great QB, awful organization and talent around him. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Whoa there— not criticizing your post or this thread. I saw the rumors swirling this morning, so it’s relevant.  I was just surprised myself when I actually went and looked at his stats, and they were ridiculously good. 

Watson has played great this year. Like MVP conversation great if it wasn't for being on a terrible 4-12 football team. The only three Quarterbacks who have outplayed him this year are Rodgers, Allen and Mahomes. The theory he was a product of DeAndre Hopkins has been exposed for the poppycock it always was. 

• Like (+1) 1

I voted 0%, but if we want to be hypothetical, I would include the Cowboys as a potential trade partner.....they are in position to be able to move on from Prescott due to his contract situation, or even find a way to franchise him again and include him in the trade.....but I doubt the Texans would consider trading Watson, IMO.

I said 20%, only because there is always a chance. They have already made so many stupid decisions lately, so why not one more.  I will throw a crazy option out there and say he goes to the Panthers.  I am not sure how sold they are on Bridgewater, and he is loved in that area. Of course the Panthers would have to give up multiple first round picks and more to get him. 

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

I heard this on the way home.  I guess people don't understand a little thing called the salary cap.  Even if trading-away a great young talent at QB weren't dumb enough.

Yep. Watson's team did make sure his contract was tradeable after 1 year of the new deal by front loading the guarantees but this is the 4th year of the old deal. He won't be traded now. And he won't be traded after next season. But if the Texans are still on the road to nowhere after 2022 it is a very real possibility that Watson could force a trade. Just can't happen this year. 0% chance.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. Watson's team did make sure his contract was tradeable after 1 year of the new deal by front loading the guarantees but this is the 4th year of the old deal. He won't be traded now. And he won't be traded after next season. But if the Texans are still on the road to nowhere after 2022 it is a very real possibility that Watson could force a trade. Just can't happen this year. 0% chance.

I still don't see it.  He proved this year he's a top-5 QB even without a stud WR.  Moving him would be the height of stupidity.

6 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I sure hope Texans are not stupid enough to trade a young player who the new staff can build around. I can understand trading players to build up draft capital but a QB, and one who has performed so well with mediocre supporting cast, should not be one of those chips. 

Look at players like JJ Watt instead. To re-iterate, you do NOT trade away a good QB who may not even have hit his prime yet. 

Despite my post, I personally would not trade Watson unless I didn't have much choice, he is a young QB and already top 5 in the league.  However, if I was Watson, I would 100% want to be traded.  That team has been set back several years by the bad decisions of the old regime.  They just don't have the draft capital for a quick rebuild, and its a total rebuild outside Watson.  The defense is atrocious and they have limited talent around him on the offense.

But, if there was ever a year to do it in terms of Houston, they could really reload draft picks and possibly also get back a young prospect in Darnold or Tua in a haul from Jets or Miami, or even land Trevor if Jags entered the mix.  If I am Jets or Miami, I am all in on trying to get Watson if he somehow becomes available.  I would also do it if I am Jags, as good of a prospect Trevor is, he is still just a prospect vs a proven top 5 QB who is still young.   

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

0% chance he gets traded this year. I think it is a possibility at some point but will not be this season. And if Houston does trade him I am pretty sure it is to the NFC. Even Billy O realised that when moving Hopkins.

I agree Houston would want/need it to be an NFC team but add to that.....any NFC team that got him would put themselves in a fantastic position moving forward.  The strong young NFL QBs are almost exclusively in the AFC at this point with Jax and the Jets next in line even if Darnold is discarded.  

Allen, Tua, Darnold?, Burrow, Jackson, Mayfield, Lawrence, Tannehill is pretty young, Herbert, Mahomes.  Remove Watson from that mix and who are his younger counterparts in the NFC?  Jones?, Dak, Goff?  Murray.  If I am WFT I move heaven and earth to make that happen.  I doubt Houston does it though.  What can WFT offer?  IMO Houston is at a crossroads and whatever path they take has a lot of potholes.  O’Brien was sooooooooooo bad.