Here is the definition of Failing UP. In Denver

MAJBobby

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

And the "stat leaders" thing allows us to skip over Brock Osweiler and Paxton Lynch.

Add in the obvious miss of leaving Allen on the board and you've got some of the worst QB decisionmaking in recent memory. (Bills pre-Allen is a distant memory to me)

His drafting resume at QB:

Osweiler in the 2nd

Dysert in the 7th

Siemien in the 7th

Lynch in the 1st

Kelly in the 7th

Lock in the 2nd

Free agent QB resume:

Manning for 4 years 

Case Keenum for 2 years 36M - Traded with a 7th for a 6th after 1 year.  Was an overpay for sure, but he may have been the 2nd best QB to suit up for denver in Elways tenure.

Flacco - Traded a 4th for Flacco, paid him like 20 million, and he was totally washed.

So about 40 million over 2 years for keenum and flacco...

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

But the wishy washy ownership Promotes the guy that has failed year after year at Coach and QB?  I am fine with it but this shows the problem in the league.  What has Elway done to deserve a Promotion?

Yeah so he failed up.  He gets promoted and gains MORE power in the process.  Heck he is the defacto owner at this point.

But Bobby there is no owner and hasn't been for 6 years now.  That's the problem.

The legal battles have gone on for so long that the NFL is talking about stepping in and selling the team.

Here's a decent article (one month ago) talking about what is happening if anyone is interested.

Not being a Broncos fan at all I loved the turmoil but even I am starting to feel for the fans out here.

It takes a LOT for me to say that!

Good article touching on a lot of things.  https://predominantlyorange.com/2020/11/30/nfl-messages-broncos-ownership/

quote from atricle:

The first message that was a not-so-subtle warning to the Denver Broncos to resolve their ownership situation was this report about NFL commissioner Roger Goodell now having the authority to essentially tax teams up to $10 million if they don’t have one person who has final say over all matters involving the team.

The potential of being fined eight figures for not having a sole owner of the team puts the Broncos in a position where the team will almost be required to be sold sooner rather than later.

A week after this report surfaced on November 22, the Broncos were made an example of by the NFL for their quarterbacks being caught not wearing masks while eating at socially distanced tables on their day off.

The NFL was given more than 24 hours to review footage the Broncos had sent to the league office, but didn’t notify the Broncos of their decision until Denver was forced to pull all three of their remaining quarterbacks (Jeff Driskel was already on the COVID/reserve list) from the practice field.

Maybe Elway's trying to figure out how to make up the money he lost when he turned down the part ownership option Bowlen offered him 20 years ago. It have would been a boatload of money now.

Not that he needs it and ownerships hostile dispute now might have negatively affected that.

Catch-22.

Edited by I am the egg man

6 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Osweiler in the 2nd

Dysert in the 7th

Siemien in the 7th

Lynch in the 1st

Kelly in the 7th

Lock in the 2nd

Free agent QB resume:

Manning for 4 years 

Case Keenum for 2 years 36M - Traded with a 7th for a 6th after 1 year.  Was an overpay for sure, but he may have been the 2nd best QB to suit up for denver in Elways tenure.

Flacco - Traded a 4th for Flacco, paid him like 20 million, and he was totally washed.

Thanks for providing the full picture. I had forgotten all about Chad Kelly ...

Signing Manning bought Elway a decade of slack. It wasn't a no-brainer when it happened; lots of people had serious doubts about whether Manning could be anything like the Indy version. He could have easily been the 2015 version from the start, a guy who was marginal at best (but good enough to win a SB with a dominant defense). 

But that was a decade ago. As this list shows, the Broncs have tried in vain to find a franchise QB through a 20th overall or lower pick, or by acquiring an aging mediocrity. You can get lucky and have that work (Ryan Tannehill, Philip Rivers, Rich Gannon), but for every time that works it fails another dozen times.

Elway's reached the end of his tether. Time to move on, and I hope that's what this means.

20 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Failed year after year at Coach and QB?  What?

You mean the guy that got the franchise its third Super Bowl by getting Peyton Manning and not even talking about Elway's own two Super Bowl Victories.

Broncos have never won a Super Bowl without the direct intervention of John Elway.

Yippie and what has he done since the HOF retired. You know the one that ONLY was free because of a Neck issue. How has his coaching and QB picks been???  Now he gets to pick a GM?

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Thanks for providing the full picture. I had forgotten all about Chad Kelly ...

Signing Manning bought Elway a decade of slack. It wasn't a no-brainer when it happened; lots of people had serious doubts about whether Manning could be anything like the Indy version. He could have easily been the 2015 version from the start, a guy who was marginal at best (but good enough to win a SB with a dominant defense). 

But that was a decade ago. As this list shows, the Broncs have tried in vain to find a franchise QB through a 20th overall or lower pick, or by acquiring an aging mediocrity. You can get lucky and have that work (Ryan Tannehill, Philip Rivers, Rich Gannon), but for every time that works it fails another dozen times.

Elway's reached the end of his tether. Time to move on, and I hope that's what this means.

Skipped over Allen for Chubb - but even this offseason too.  Couldn't or didn't make an offer work with brady.  Winston and Dalton got paid pennies and they showed no interest.  You just gave the keys to Lock without letting him earn anything.

20 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yippie and what has he done since the HOF retired. You know the one that ONLY was free because of a Neck issue. How has his coaching and QB picks been???  Now he gets to pick a GM?

Well, yeah, Peyton was available because of a "neck issue" -- an issue that required surgery and left a lot of people wondering whether he'd be able to throw the football with minimal NFL velocity ever again. Elway gambled by signing him. I saw the first Peyton preseason game, and I wasn't the only one who thought "he's not coming back." But he did. So that wasn't luck, it was a calculated gamble, and he does deserve credit for it.

21 minutes ago, QCity said:

It's not, and not a single Bills' fan should be saying it is.

Exactly -- two Super Bowl appearances, one victory, and five playoff appearances in ten seasons as an executive.

That's not bad at all, good for him and the Broncos to make a move to keep a franchise icon while shaking things up after a tough few seasons.

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

He’s getting promoted, but it also sounds like he’s relinquishing some decision making on football matters to this new GM.

It may “sound like a promotion”, but giving up control means it’s at best a lateral move, depending upon who made the call. If he made the call for his reasons, good for him. If the owner/team is unhappy with his (and the team’s) performance, this is all about the PR look for their fans and the public. You can’t chit can John Elway in Denver, but you CAN get him out of the way and give someone else a chance to find a real QB and generally do a better job. 

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Osweiler in the 2nd

Dysert in the 7th

Siemien in the 7th

Lynch in the 1st

Kelly in the 7th

Lock in the 2nd

Free agent QB resume:

Manning for 4 years 

More important is the list of the QBs he could have drafted but didn't...I can think of one right off the top of my head...

2 hours ago, ticketssince61 said:

He lucked into Peyton Manning and every QB move since then has been a disaster

Manning became available and there were plenty of teams who wanted him.    Elway was able to land him. Facts are Elway has a ring as a player and GM. Who else can say that? Honest question.