Here is the definition of Failing UP. In Denver

MAJBobby

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

This is 100% correct, and I get it.  Denver really should have made this move first and then done a complete tear down.   The coach and the QB are both bad fits and really need to be replaced.

But the wishy washy ownership Promotes the guy that has failed year after year at Coach and QB?  I am fine with it but this shows the problem in the league.  What has Elway done to deserve a Promotion?

Just now, JoPoy88 said:

He’s getting promoted, but it also sounds like he’s relinquishing some decision making on football matters to this new GM.

Yeah so he failed up.  He gets promoted and gains MORE power in the process.  Heck he is the defacto owner at this point.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah so he failed up.  He gets promoted and gains MORE power in the process.  Heck he is the defacto owner at this point.

I don't agree with this, he basically got given a fancy title while losing power to a GM. This is Denver firing him in a way to not actually fire their Hall of Fame QB.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I don't agree with this, he basically got given a fancy title while losing power to a GM. This is Denver firing him in a way to not actually fire their Hall of Fame QB.

So he fails as GM

Gets Promoted

Picks the next GM

Yeah that would be failing up seen it often in Army 

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Only if you view the role of having input on your replacement as a promotion.  Its like being promoted to CEO Emeritus. 

Edited by MAJBobby

12 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

He won a SB as the GM. I don’t think that is failing. He is deciding that he wants to take on a different role. Good for him and the ownership. Btw, the ownership has every right to do this. Their team, their money, and it’s a position that other teams currently use like the Falcons. 

Yes, he landed Peyton to secure his SB. Since then...

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/10/denver-broncos-john-elway-graphics-show-terrible-qb-moves-by-gm

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/10/former-broncos-teammate-rips-john-elway/