Week 17 SNF: Washington Football Team at Eagles

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I just don't understand what people are seeing that makes them think it was an intentional loss. Hurts was playing terrible. The only other active QB was Sudfeld. There was zero chance of either QB winning this game. If they were tanking why start Hurts in the first place? Why not run on every down? What happened is the Eagles tried for 3 quarters and then Pederson realized Hurts doesn't have it. I'm not saying he's a good coach but everyone assuming he lost on purpose makes no sense to me.

They decided not to tie the game with a chip shot FG late in Q3.  And while Hurts was not playing well he had led 2 scoring drives and had a 10000000000000 times better chance to do it once more than Sudfeld did.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I just don't understand what people are seeing that makes them think it was an intentional loss. Hurts was playing terrible. The only other active QB was Sudfeld. There was zero chance of either QB winning this game. If they were tanking why start Hurts in the first place? Why not run on every down? What happened is the Eagles tried for 3 quarters and then Pederson realized Hurts doesn't have it. I'm not saying he's a good coach but everyone assuming he lost on purpose makes no sense to me.

Hurts scored two TDs...Same amount as Washington all game....What are you talking about man. 

Hurts sucks yes but he was there best chance to win the game. You know it, pederson knows it, everyone knows it. You can't tell me benching him was a move to try and win.

There was zero chance of either QB winning this game.

No.

It was a 3 point game, and as bad as Hurts was passing, he at least could make things happen with his legs. He had 2 rushing TDs.

That was about as blatant as a tank gets at the end.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Hurts wasn't playing well but he was already dangerous enough with his legs to lead 2 scoring drives.  They didn't have zero chance with him in there and it was a 3 point game.  They had zero chance with Sudfeld.  Based on what we saw Sudfeld couldn't lead a single scoring drive if you gave him 60 minutes.

Oh well. It's the last game of the season in a game Pederson knows is meaningless. Why not see what Sudfeld can do? Teams use week 17 to experiment all the time. Did the Chiefs ruin league integrity because they sat Mahomes? Did the Steelers screw over the Dolphins by unfairly gifting Cleveland a win? Just weird to me how everyone is jumping on Philadelphia.

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

They decided not to tie the game with a chip shot FG late in Q3.  And while Hurts was not playing well he had led 2 scoring drives and had a 10000000000000 times better chance to do it once more than Sudfeld did.

You mean the 4th down where Hurts had a wide open WR that he badly missed? We're using that decision to be aggressive and call a successful play as evidence that Pederson was tanking the game? I mean I guess it's true Hurts gave them a better chance than Sudfeld but seemingly not much. I don't have a problem with them trying some things in a meaningless game. It isn't unusual.

• Like (+1) 1

Oh well. It's the last game of the season in a game Pederson knows is meaningless. Why not see what Sudfeld can do? Teams use week 17 to experiment all the time. Did the Chiefs ruin league integrity because they sat Mahomes? Did the Steelers screw over the Dolphins by unfairly gifting Cleveland a win? Just weird to me how everyone is jumping on Philadelphia.

I'll admit there are gray areas.  But the Steelers and Chiefs still fielded competitive teams  (or in the Bills' case in the 2nd half dominant teams :D ) and most importantly they were resting players in the pursuit of a championship, not pursuing a loss in and of itself.  I do not believe Pederson for a second that he tried to win that game.

12 minutes ago, Process said:

You can't tell me benching him was a move to try and win.

I'm not saying Pederson actually thought Sudfeld gave them a better chance to win, he was just trying something new for the heck of it because Hurts was really bad. Again - the Chiefs and Steelers both sat starters today. It is not the case that every team goes all out to win in week 17 and there's never been an unspoken rule of integrity. I guarantee if it's the Bills and not the Giants that were 6-10 and eliminated from the playoffs in this game no one would care.

Edited by HappyDays

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You mean the 4th down where Hurts had a wide open WR that he badly missed? We're using that decision to be aggressive and call a successful play as evidence that Pederson was tanking the game? I mean I guess it's true Hurts gave them a better chance than Sudfeld but seemingly not much. I don't have a problem with them trying some things in a meaningless game. It isn't unusual.

I don’t know what game you were watching but we’re going to have to agree to disagree.  Why do you think Seth Joyner chose the word “ashamed” rather than “embarrassed”?

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Those teams playing their starters could of hurt them.

11 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I'll admit there are gray areas.  But the Steelers and Chiefs still fielded competitive teams  (or in the Bills' case in the 2nd half dominant teams :D ) and most importantly they were resting players in the pursuit of a championship, not pursuing a loss in and of itself.  I do not believe Pederson for a second that he tried to win that game.

I think it was 2017 where the Dolphins started David Fales in our week 17 game. That win got us into the playoffs. I don't remember anyone caring at the time and I don't think there was an injury involved. In this case people are upset because they feel the Eagles intentionally lost to screw the Giants out of a playoff spot which makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Obviously I'm alone on this so I'll just let it be...

Edited by HappyDays

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not saying Pederson actually thought Sudfeld gave them a better  chance to win, he was just trying something new for the heck of it because Hurts was really bad. Again - the Chiefs and Steelers both sat starters today. It is not the case that every team goes all out to win in week 17 and there's never been an unspoken rule of integrity. I guarantee if it's the Bills and not the Giants that were 6-10 and eliminated from the playoffs in this game no one would care.

Chiefs and steelers have major incentives to sit starters... They are in the playoffs and want to stay healthy. 

The eagles made half their starting roster inactive for this game for no reason (other than to lose).

Do not even try to tell me they were trying to evaluate sudfield for the good of the franchise, by putting him in the last quarter of the season.

You're just wrong on this.

Edited by Process

I'm not saying Pederson actually thought Sudfeld gave them a better  chance to win, he was just trying something new for the heck of it because Hurts was really bad. Again - the Chiefs and Steelers both sat starters today. It is not the case that every team goes all out to win in week 17 and there's never been an unspoken rule of integrity. I guarantee if it's the Bills and not the Giants that were 6-10 and eliminated from the playoffs in this game no one would care.

I think we would all care if the Bills were eliminated this way.  What are you talking about there?

There has never been an unspoken rule of integrity?  Integrity is supposed to be an important part of any league.  

Jax, Houston, LV, Den, NYJ, NE, Min, Det, Atl, all tried to win today.  Some of them played meaningful roles and some didn’t.  All of them tried.

I think it was 2018 where the Dolphins started David Fales in our week 17 game. That win got us into the playoffs. I don't remember anyone caring at the time and I don't think there was an injury involved. In this case people are upset because they feel the Eagles intentionally lost to screw the Giants out of a playoff spot which makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Obviously I'm alone on this so I'll just let it be...

I understand what you're saying but I guess my counter is that this doesn't pass the smell test for most people and there's probably a reason for it.  Eagles legends like Seth Joyner and Brian Westbrook are speaking out.

Just now, Process said:

Do not even try to tell me they were trying to evaluate sudfield by putting him in the last quarter of the season. You're just wrong.

So why did they go aggressive on 4th and goal if it was an intentional tank? Good chance if Hurts hits that throw the Eagles would have won the game.

This reminds me everyone accusing Gregg Williams of intentionally giving away the Raiders game. The simple answer is that bad coaches make bad decisions and bad rosters lose football games in any number of ways. If a coach actually wanted to intentionally throw a game it would be really obvious what was happening.

So why did they go aggressive on 4th and goal if it was an intentional tank? Good chance if Hurts hits that throw the Eagles would have won the game.

This reminds me everyone accusing Gregg Williams of intentionally giving away the Raiders game. The simple answer is that bad coaches make bad decisions and bad rosters lose football games in any number of ways. If a coach actually wanted to intentionally throw a game it would be really obvious what was happening.

Hurts missed that pass because he was off balance under pressure......like the previous three atrocious plays.  They actively gave up three points there.

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I think we would all care if the Bills were eliminated this way.  What are you talking about there?

Not me. If the Bills were 6-10 and relying on a bad football team to miraculously back us into the playoffs I wouldn't be upset if we didn't make it. I'd be disappointed in the things that we controlled that kept us out. In 2017 the Ravens were knocked out of the playoffs in part because Miami started David Fales at QB against us. I don't remember that being a storyline. It's just a thing teams will do when their season is over and they have nothing to lose.

Edited by HappyDays

Not me. If the Bills were 6-10 and relying on a bad football team to miraculously back us into the playoffs I wouldn't be upset if we didn't make it. In 2018 the Ravens were knocked out of the playoffs in part because Miami started David Fales at QB against us. I don't remember that being a storyline. It's just a thing teams will do when their season is over and they have nothing to lose.

Fales was their backup that year, right?  Carson Wentz had a terrible year.  He is better than Sudfeld.  He was intentionally left off the active roster and Sudfeld was inserted at a critical time.  Wasn’t Sudfeld’s first drive enough to determine he was not affording them a better chance than Hurts?

While we are at it, what do you think Sudfeld will be most remembered for?  My bet is that it will be for tonight’s game and that he will either be joked about or thought of as a symbol for lack of integrity.  He deserves none of that, but he’s got it thanks to his coach.  I’m sure he has worked hard, he’s just not very good.  Now his name is permanently dirt because his coach is a douche.

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Not me. If the Bills were 6-10 and relying on a bad football team to miraculously back us into the playoffs I wouldn't be upset if we didn't make it. I'd be disappointed in the things that we controlled that kept us out. In 2017 the Ravens were knocked out of the playoffs in part because Miami started David Fales at QB against us. I don't remember that being a storyline. It's just a thing teams will do when their season is over and they have nothing to lose.

Right. The Eagles were not goiing to the playoffs and the game was meaningless. They certainly were under no obligation to play in any way that would help the Giants or any other team. They are a bad football team making bad decisions with subpar personnel. In the end, they pulled a QB who was awful to get a look at another QB who was awful. Not sure what the uproar is about here.

Edited by billsfan1959

11 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Lets say a few years ago that the Bengals pulled Dalton in a close game the Bills needed them to win....

This.  I get it, Giants have to blame themselves.  Not excusing them or feeling bad for them.  If they were 9-7, 10-6 maybe I would.

That being said, what the Eagles pulled was unsportsman like.  Yes, teams tank.  But they at least *try* to conceal that they are.  The Eagles just outright threw the game on a national stage so they could blatently improve their draft capital.  They should have just saved everyone the drama and emotion and just declared they were forfeiting this game ahead of time.

2 minutes ago, The Red King said:

This.  I get it, Giants have to blame themselves.  Not excusing them or feeling bad for them.  If they were 9-7, 10-6 maybe I would.

That being said, what the Eagles pulled was unsportsman like.  Yes, teams tank.  But they at least *try* to conceal that they are.  The Eagles just outright threw the game on a national stage so they could blatently improve their draft capital.  They should have just saved everyone the drama and emotion and just declared they were forfeiting this game ahead of time.

I mean even the Bills technically did it in 2017 and somewhat 2018. The difference is FOs tank, HCs and players don't.

I think the NFL should investigate the Eagles motives. Was there a plan to throw the game? I can see the logic in using a meaningless game to get a look at players that normally wouldn't get any time. The reason it looks so bad is that they benched their possible franchise QB when he had a chance to learn and develop more for a nobody 27 year old QB with backup potential. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think the NFL should investigate the Eagles motives. Was there a plan to throw the game? I can see the logic in using a meaningless game to get a look at players that normally wouldn't get any time. The reason it looks so bad is that they benched their possible franchise QB when he had a chance to learn and develop more for a nobody 27 year old QB with backup potential. 

Who had already been on the team for years.

Would 3 spots in draft order worth losing locker room for Pederson?

--------------------------------------------

Miles Sanders: No Philadelphia Eagles players liked QB switch

"If I'm being honest, nobody liked the decision. Nobody. That's all I can say," Sanders said during an appearance on 94.1 WIP Tuesday. "I don't know who was the main person behind that decision, but all I know is a lot of people on the team were confused."

Center Jason Kelce, a team leader, approached Pederson to ask him about his decision to pull Hurts during the game, a source confirmed, though it was described as non-confrontational.

According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, two defensive players had to be held back from approaching Pederson after the move was made.

--------------------------------------------