2020 MVP Race - Has Mahomes been incredibly lucky?

23 minutes ago, Process said:

Mahomes will win it but it should be rodgers or allen. 

Put an average qb on each team. Chiefs still win their division and are one of the better teams in the league. Bills probably around a .500 team. Packers bottom 10 team in the league. 

Packers had the 15th ranked strength of schedule.  Rogers is a Hall of Famer no doubt,  but let's not act like he had it tough playing week after week of superbowl contenders because that didn't happen. 

4 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

Packers had the 15th ranked strength of schedule.  Rogers is a Hall of Famer no doubt,  but let's not act like he had it tough playing week after week of superbowl contenders because that didn't happen. 

Who said that lol? I'm going by rosters not schedule. Outside of Rodgers Adams and Jones the packers are garbage. 

10 minutes ago, Process said:

Who said that lol? I'm going by rosters not schedule. Outside of Rodgers Adams and Jones the packers are garbage. 

Somebody with Rodgers talent should put up numbers against crap teams........

2 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Wow! Yep his luck is about to run out. I predict they lose their first playoff and Buffalo gets HFA.

I like your predictions.  

Now what's the winning lottery numbers.  Asking for a friend....

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Depends on your benchmark. Your post appeared to imply they were mutually exclusive. 10 times makes it quite common relative to that.

Folks are different. Maybe you have something against Allen or, more likely, totally eschew individual honors - this is a message board and folks can choose to root for what they want. Your post has merit if winning MVP somehow means you don’t win the super bowl  - then sure I don’t want the MVP - but as I show it has happened jointly quite a few times before. 

Yes, relative to 0 times, 10 times is infinitely greater.  Relative to the number of Super Bowls that have been played, no, it is not "quite common" at all.

Anyway, Rodgers is the favorite for MVP now, not Mahomes.

I’ve been saying this for years. Mahomes is good but definitely not the next GOAT. 

I lived in KC and I have a lot of friends still there, Ive watched a lot of KC games. Mahomes under throws his WR a lot and they make incredible adjustments and somehow save his ass. 

He had 3 pics vs Miami, why? Because  they have a secondary that can catch the ball. 

Sure he’s good and he makes some nice plays but he’s not on the same level as Rodgers. 

Personally I’d take Allen right now over Mahomes. He’s bigger, has the stronger arm and right now is just as good but Josh is still growing as a QB. 

Edited by Yav
Typo
  • Like (+1) 1

Mahomes has thrown the second-most passes in the league this year, 77 more than Allen, 588 to 511. That's 13% more.

More, you're comparing this year and last year, which really isn't fair. Things have been very different this year, in many aspects. 

Mahomes played 14 games last year. This year when he'd played 14, he'd already thrown 60 more passes than he did last year.

You've got to compare Mahomes' stats this year with everyone else's stats this year. 2019 was very different. Comparing across years can tell you some things but it shouldn't be used as your only data points.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Watching his game against the Falcons, I could not believe his luck with two sure interceptions floored. So I google “Mahomes dropped interceptions” and whoa - here is what I find (16 dropped INTs on the season!!!)

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2134267854748/patrick-mahomes-sets-ignominious-nfl-record

And Allen has had just the opposite - with INTs being called on catches made by TEs.

PS: This is not to piss on Mahomes, who is an otherworldly talent - but the article does show that Mahomes’ stats are a wee bit inflated. Several dropped INT drives have ended in TDs thrown by Mahomes (like today). 

Hope MVP voters see this and take it into account.

Please piss on Mahomes... Im so gosh damn tired of Mahomes this Mahomes that I frankly can’t even stand the sight of that %ucking guy.... I’ve watched his last 3 games he is not some world beater quarterback like some people are making him out to be.... Call me biased or a homer but I love our quarterback I wouldn’t trade him for anyone not even Mahomes

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

10 times since 1966 is "quite common?"

Yes. For cross-matching two stats, each of which allows only one team out of 32, it's common. You're correlating two stats, one of which is an individual achievement and one a team achievement. A match is essentially a lot of luck. Nearly always, an MVP candidate will be on a playoff team. But winning a bunch of games in the playoffs needs luck and a lot more components than the play of one guy.

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes. For cross-matching two stats, each of which allows only one team out of 32, it's common. You're correlating two stats, one of which is an individual achievement and one a team achievement. A match is essentially a lot of luck. Nearly always, an MVP candidate will be on a playoff team. But winning a bunch of games in the playoffs needs luck and a lot more components than the play of one guy.

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Yeah, if you don't have your computer plugged in, I can see there might be problems. But for computers with sense it computes just fine.

If you're saying you don't understand my point, OK. I'll try to explain further. What would someone with sense say if you said that the team having the DPOY had won the Super Bowl only ten times over the years? He'd say, yeah, that sounds about right, for two things with no direct connection, in a 32 team league, you'd say it was well within what chance would say would happen. You'd guess that generally both the Super Bowl winner and the team with the DPOY year are likely to be pretty good. 

20%? Fairly common. Not particularly worthy of notice. 

Having the DPOY, the OPOY, or the MVP on your team would have zero effect on your odds of winning or losing the SB, beyond meaning your team is probably pretty good.

Edited by Thurman#1

9 hours ago, Process said:

His line is decent to be fair and they do have 2 decent depth running backs behind Jones. But I agree his receiving options after Adams are not good. Though they might have found something in Tonyan. Obviously he is a product of playing with Rodgers but he has exceptional hands. 

Edited by GunnerBill

Although I want him(JA17) to win and think he should AR 18 has a lock on it this year.

Last night they talked about all things AR did to get his mind right  for this season....the one thing they didbn't mention was dumping Danika Patrick ;) 

Ricky Stenhouse got a whole lot better after she left him for AR ;)

Edited by JMF2006

11 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Let’s not be blinded by our own bias here: Allen has had plenty of potential pics dropped, too. 

16 is a lot, for sure. 

I was thinking the same.  I don’t know how you look up dropped potential Int’s for Allen, but if one of you stat guys want to provide it, that would be great.  Mahomes has 38 TD’s to 6 Int’s and a potential 16 more, but didn’t happen.  Allen has 30 TD’s to 9 Int’s, but we don’t know how many potential that didn’t happen.  

As the OP stated, he is probably the best QB in this league, but Allen is becoming a close second.  I don’t mind Mahomes getting the award, and remember Brees never won it in 20 years which is a sin.  He’s still a first ballot HOFer.

Now it’s time to do this right and finish 13-3, so we can kick the Browns butts if it’s them.