Scenario where Bills may want to intentionally lose week 17

HappyDays

Hear me out on this.

If the following things happen next week the Bills clinch the #2 spot no matter what:

Bills defeat Patriots

Colts defeat Steelers

Packers defeat Titans OR Browns defeat Jets

I think that scenario is quite likely.

Now take it one step further. If the Dolphins beat the Raiders next week, they would have to beat the Bills in week 17 to make the playoffs as the #7 seed over the Ravens. This is true even if the Ravens win out.

I don't know about you all but I would much rather play the Dolphins than the Ravens in the wildcard round.

So if the Bills go into week 17 with the #2 seed clinched AND the Dolphins beat the Raiders, I hope we play our backups with an extremely vanilla gameplan against the Dolphins. Let them throw everything they have at us to guarantee themselves a playoff spot, then use it to game plan against them the following week to win our first playoff game in over 2 decades.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BuffBillsForLife said:

I'm pretty sure suggesting that the Bills intentionally lose to the Dolphins so that the Dolphins make the playoffs is a sin.

We can potentially knock the Fins out of the playoffs and get a revenge game against Balt. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

I'm pretty sure suggesting that the Bills intentionally lose to the Dolphins so that the Dolphins make the playoffs is a sin.

I mean I wouldn't advocate us literally kneeing the ball on every down but let's give Fromm a chance to prove he can be the long term back up QB. Let's see what Dane Jackson can do as a #1 CB. If we have the #2 seed locked up there is no need to play the starters in week 17.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Hear me out on this.

If the following things happen next week the Bills clinch the #2 spot no matter what:

Bills defeat Patriots

Colts defeat Steelers

Now take it one step further. If the Dolphins beat the Raiders next week, they would have to beat the Bills in week 17 to make the playoffs as the #7 seed over the Ravens. This is true even if the Ravens win out.

I don't know about you all but I would much rather play the Dolphins than the Ravens in the wildcard round.

So if the Bills go into week 17 with the #2 seed clinched AND the Dolphins beat the Raiders, I hope we play our backups with an extremely vanilla gameplan against the Dolphins. Let them throw everything they have at us to guarantee themselves a playoff spot, then use it to game plan against them the following week to win our first playoff game in over 2 decades.

Yeah this makes a lot of sense.  Starters get to rest Week 17 and the Bills would get to play Miami for a 2nd time in 2 weeks without having to tip their hand.  

Some of this is out of the team’s control

4 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

You never know..::be careful what you wish for 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m really hoping we lock up #2 next week. Then our starters can still get a bye week. But if we pull a 2004 Steelers and knock Miami out with our backups I won’t complain one bit. I want a Super Bowl which means we need to be ready to beat anyone we face Ravens included. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, VaMilBill said:

Baltimore is getting hot. I would much rather play Miami than Baltimore. I think Baltimore can be a very dangerous team if they make the playoffs

I kind of want the Bills to smash their hopes and dreams into a thousand tiny pieces. 

• Like (+1) 2

This isn't the time to try outsmarting ourselves. The Bills are on what appears to be an unstoppable roll right now, why fix what isn't broken? There's not a team I don't think we can't beat right now. Keep and build momentum, especially on the defensive side of the ball. What's going through my head is Bills win their first playoff game, Chiefs lose theirs after their bye. Road to the SB would go through Buffalo from there

Edited by buffalo2218
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Dont sleep on the Dolphins...

In a straight out pick I would rather play them than Ravens but not a lot of difference in the way they are currently playing..

Bills should beat either one though...

Miami is hurting for offensive playmakers but their defense is carrying them and a few turnovers can flip any game

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Hear me out on this.

Bills defeat Patriots

Colts defeat Steelers

100% agree.

The Dolphins are a limited offensively with Tua and have camp bodies at this point at running back.

No way would I want to play the Ravens over Miami. 

• Like (+1) 2

I actually just discovered a hiccup in my scenario. The Titans would also need to beat the Texans in Houston in week 17 for this to work. If the Titans beat the Packers and lose to the Texans, they would be the 7th seed and Miami would be 6th. If the Titans lose to the Packers AND the Texans they would drop out of the playoffs entirely and we would play Baltimore instead. So I still think we should rest starters week 17 if the #2 seed is clinched but then we'll be rooting for Tennessee that week as well.

Edited by HappyDays

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I actually just discovered a hiccup in my scenario. The Titans would also need to beat the Texans in Houston in week 17 for this to work. If the Titans beat the Packers and lose to the Texans, they would be the 7th seed and Miami would be 6th. If the Titans lose to the Packers and the Titans they would drop out of the playoffs entirely and we would play Baltimore instead. So I still think we should rest starters week 17 if the #2 seed is clinched but then we'll be rooting for Tennessee that week as well.

Yeah I dont wanna be playing the Titans Week 1.. 

• Like (+1) 3

I actually just discovered a hiccup in my scenario. The Titans would also need to beat the Texans in Houston in week 17 for this to work. If the Titans beat the Packers and lose to the Texans, they would be the 7th seed and Miami would be 6th. If the Titans lose to the Packers and the Titans they would drop out of the playoffs entirely and we would play Baltimore instead. So I still think we should rest starters week 17 if the #2 seed is clinched but then we'll be rooting for Tennessee that week as well.

You and I agree on this.

The Ravens are the last team I want to play.

Miami > Colts > Browns > Tennessee > Baltimore 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I actually just discovered a hiccup in my scenario. The Titans would also need to beat the Texans in Houston in week 17 for this to work. If the Titans beat the Packers and lose to the Texans, they would be the 7th seed and Miami would be 6th. If the Titans lose to the Packers AND the Texans they would drop out of the playoffs entirely and we would play Baltimore instead. So I still think we should rest starters week 17 if the #2 seed is clinched but then we'll be rooting for Tennessee that week as well.

I'd rather have to face the Ravens than the Titans. I'm not sure Jackson would pose much of a threat passing the ball in Buffalo. I think he'd be easier to stop running the ball than Henry

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

You and I agree on this.

The Ravens are the last team I want to play.

Miami > Colts > Browns > Tennessee > Baltimore 

I would actually rank it like this:

Miami > Colts > Browns > Ravens > Titans

Titans are the last team I want in the wildcard round. Derrick Henry scares me and their passing offense is efficient.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I love how the team is a steaming locomotive right now and so many of the fans seem content with just scoring the easiest possible wildcard matchup and winning one game.

Not winning just one game. You're completely missing the point 

• Like (+1) 1

Winning games> losing games 99.9% of the time. Resting starters week 17 is sometimes preferable to keep starters fresh/injury free. 

The biggest plus in this scenario is that the Dolphins would have to open their entire bag of tricks and put everything they have on film and the Bills could sit back and just hit record on the camera. 

Also unsure if ever allowing your opponent to beat you in week one ever actually helps you beat them in week two. 

It is a weird situation either way. If I am playing the same team twice in a row, I think I’d want to squash their hope and dreams to the point that their families are embarrassed  in game 1. 

1 minute ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I love how the team is a steaming locomotive right now and so many of the fans seem content with just scoring the easiest possible wildcard matchup and winning one game.

I'll take any advantage I get. There is literally no reason to play the starters in week 17 if we have the #2 seed clinched. The Chiefs aren't worried about losing momentum because their starters get a week off. The top teams do it all the time.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll take any advantage I get. There is literally no reason to play the starters in week 17 if we have the #2 seed clinched. The Chiefs aren't worried about losing momentum because their starters get a week off. The top teams do it all the time.

I completely agree with resting the starters but not with your premise of intentionally losing.  I'd hope the backups beat them soundly.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, BuffaloBillies said:

No.  You're missing the point. Fear no one. We're better.

KC game would be an epic battle, but no fear against anyone else, especially at home. 

We aren't looking to win just one game. That's what was said. That's missing the point. We want the easiest matchup week 1 and give us even more momentum going into week 2 against a team that we are more evenly matched with. I feel good about this team beating anyone except the Ravens and the Titans. I'd rather even play the Chiefs right away than play either one of those two teams. I want no part of Lamar or Derrick Henry in the opening round of the playoffs. 

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’m actually rooting for the Steelers next week so we don’t need to worry about this scenario.... I think we get the 2 seed either way.

I can see the logic there. I'll just root for the Titans to win out and then we don't have to worry about it no matter what.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

We aren't looking to win just one game. That's what was said. That's missing the point. We want the easiest matchup week 1 and give us even more momentum going into week 2 against a team that we are more evenly matched with. I feel good about this team beating anyone except the Ravens and the Titans. I'd rather even play the Chiefs right away than play either one of those two teams. I want no part of Lamar or Derrick Henry in the opening round of the playoffs. 

I hear you, friend. But give me 2 home (against anyone) then to KC. I like our chances. Go Bills. 

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

It's a meaningless game with backups. Why would you care?

There's no such thing as a meaningless game where you play the same opponent the next week.  Handing over a mental advantage could be drinking poison.  I already acknowledged that I'm fine with playing the backups in this scenario but purely because of the injury concerns.  Do you really expect McD to address the team and tell them to intentionally lose?  He wouldn't be able to look at them after.  To be clear if you have a desperate team of starters vs a team of backups actively trying to lose in an NFL game the score would be something like 55-3.  That's not the team morale I want heading into the playoffs.  Give me a swaggering Bills squad against the Ravens over a simpering one against the Dolphins trying to pick their dignity back up off the floor.  

8 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I feel good about this team beating anyone except the Ravens and the Titans.

Eh the Ravens don't really scare me. I'd put them even with Cleveland as far as ranking teams I'd like to play in the wildcard round. We already know McDermott can slow Lamar Jackson down even in the middle of an MVP season and now we have an offense that can score points. Jackson has choked in two straight playoff appearances. I might actually prefer them to the Browns right now. Only team I really don't want to face in the wildcard is Tennessee. Outside of KC they're my least favorite matchup for the Bills. 

4 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Do you really expect McD to address the team and tell them to intentionally lose?  He wouldn't be able to look at them after. 

You're overstating my point. I'm not saying to literally throw the game. If Jake Fromm throwing to Gabe Davis and Isaiah McKenzie somehow beats the Dolphins, God bless them. I consider starting the backups effectively the same thing as intentionally losing. If the Dolphins somehow lose in that scenario I'll just shrug my shoulders and laugh at them.

Edited by HappyDays