Dawson Knox needs to go....now.

Kwai San

I just need to see Knox start making some contested catches.  Any of these TE's around the league can catch little screen passes.  Anytime Knox goes up against another dude, the ball bounces off his hands, it gets stripped or he mistimes his jump...  He has to show something more in that area of his game.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I just need to see Knox start making some contested catches.  Any of these TE's around the league can catch little screen passes.  Anytime Knox goes up against another dude, the ball bounces off his hands, it gets stripped or he mistimes his jump...  He has to show something more in that area of his game.

I don’t think this is true.  Last season Knox made some clutch contested catches.  His TD pass against the Chargers was a tough catch

Last year it was the easy catches he struggled with

• Like (+1) 2

Been saying this since day 1.

Tremendous when he has the bal secured but his hands are brutal. 

TE is a priority upgrade this offseason. 

For the 50th time. Kyle Pitts please! (Although he will have to probably move up for him)

16 hours ago, Warcodered said:

he came back some at the end but we do need a good TE.

This.

And having been "that guy" that dares to critique my team before the after glow of a win has died down, I understand the backlash to the "Now" language in the OP.

Knox is serviceable, but just because we won does not mean that Knox did not do what Knox has often done - that is, at least one or two key drops and/or a give away (usually the momentum swinging variety leading to opponent scores) while also handing in a few plays that showcase his potential and athleticism that has kept coaches and fans on the treadmill of thinking maybe he will break out and develop into that reliable threat.

The Knox giveth and the Knox taketh away :)

Either way, I think that having an elite pass-catching and blocking TE is still a need on this team - Knox has not solidified himself in that role. I do not question Knox's athleticism, his ceiling in that regard is really high, but rather his consistency at being inconsistent.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

From awful to slightly awful?

I don’t think he was slightly awful.  He had a bad turnover and coulda had that deep ball catch, but the defender made a decent play on his arms.  

the DPI, while he didn’t make a catch because he was MAULET, he may have made the catch. Regardless, it put us up 2 scores.  

if that dpi didn’t end the game, he also had the huge 3rd and 11 conversion with around 6 minutes left where he gained 15ish yards.  The Steelers would’ve gotten the ball back with 6 minutes left and all of their TOs, down 11.  Game on.  But knoxs 1st ended the game.  The Steelers didn’t get the ball back at all.

I think he can make some plays if used right. Keep him running north south.  No DB really wants a price of that guy.  I’d set him up with plays like the Steelers used Samuel last night.  1-3 yard hitch and let him go maul someone.  

let me guess.....you think we should cut him after this season too

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

Exactly. Most fans are tired of the drops. So he makes a nice catch then gets popped by 2 players. Ball comes out yet he has another chance at redemption. All he has to do is catch it as it falls to the ground. But he drops that too. It's not about his route running or blocking anymore. His future will depend on his hands and strength to secure the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Just don't think he's a good football player. Lacks instincts, careless with the football, loses concentration, not a good blocker at all. 

Like I said, only thing he has going for him is he is athletic and can out run/run over some guys when he actually gets in open space... I just don't trust him at all with the football or when he is targeted.

I hear ya. He’s like “sugar high Josh” of 2018 playing TE.  He’s always reminded me of Allen playing a different position. It clicked for Allen year 3.  

The way I see it, he has at least more years with us playing TE.  I don’t think there’s any chance that we cut him or trade him.  I think allen loves him and I want us to use him with hope that he improves.  He can be a playmaker, especially in this offense, where he’s the least of every teams worries when defending us.  He’s dangerous one on one.  As long as he holds onto the ball. 🤣  

I’m on record this handle is pro Dawson Knox 

the fumble sucked but guys fumble. He got rocked soon as he caught it. Whatever. 
The “drops” from yesterday resulted in two penalties against the Steelers. Good as a catch for me. 

Catch and run on a big play to close out the game. 

8 hours ago, BBills_88 said:

You can see the potential.

Can you? I haven't seen any potential. Being an elite athlete doesn't mean you can be a football player. He can run fast and stiff arm guys, that's it. I'd sacrifice that for a mediocre athlete that I can rely on to make basic plays.

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Can you? I haven't seen any potential. Being an elite athlete doesn't mean you can be a football player. He can run fast and stiff arm guys, that's it. I'd sacrifice that for a mediocre athlete that I can rely on to make basic plays.

Scott Chandler > Dawson Knox.

9 hours ago, DJB said:

Been saying this since day 1.

Tremendous when he has the bal secured but his hands are brutal. 

TE is a priority upgrade this offseason. 

For the 50th time. Kyle Pitts please! (Although he will have to probably move up for him)

If we traded up a little to land Pitts I would be ecstatic. He should be the target.  I know we need a pass rusher but we've needed an elite TE for decades.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/13/2020 at 9:34 PM, Bangarang said:

Knox won’t see a 2nd contract in Buffalo. we’ll probably hang on to him because he’s cheap but we all know he’s not good. He’ll eventually get released and will maybe bounce around a bit before fading out of the league completely. 

That might be the case, but he’s not going to get cut by the Bills on his rookie contract.  He’s athleticism and raw physical ability is worth the chump change that we’re paying him, with hopes that it click.  We may upgrade, but I don’t think there’s any chance that we would release him

On 12/14/2020 at 12:02 AM, Virgil said:

Allen loves Knox and never loses faith in him.  While I agree with where you are coming from, it’s just not going to happen. 

With that being said, I hope they go TE in the draft and put someone out there that can stretch the field a little and make Allen give in 

I think they will Virg.  As you know, this can’t be fixed this year.  He’s cheap and probably will be depth next year behind whoever we draft.  When we have Brown back, we most likely won’t see as much of Knox.  If we see a TE down the stretch after Brown returns, it probably will be more of Smith for blocking.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I think they will Virg.  As you know, this can’t be fixed this year.  He’s cheap and probably will be depth next year behind whoever we draft.  When we have Brown back, we most likely won’t see as much of Knox.  If we see a TE down the stretch after Brown returns, it probably will be more of Smith for blocking.

The Bills may choose to try and draft a TE, but that will depend upon what they want to do with Lee Smith more than anything.

Kroft is gone, but replaced by a returning Sweeney, Knox and Gilliam are here.  If they decide to retain Lee Smith - then I would expect the only TE they will be looking at is perhaps a late round flier.

If they decide to move on from Smith - which is possible with his contract - they might try a 2nd or 3rd round pick or a low cost FA.

I am not anticipating the Bills looking for a high draft pick TE because that is not a high priority need.  I think they feel they can get away with Sweeney and Knox as H-Back and in-line TEs and get enough out of them to supplement the offense.  I think they will look at positions that will be losing depth - potentially O-Line, DE, CB, LB as the top 3 draft picks. 

Now if someone falls significantly and the value is right - I could see a value pick at TE, but the chances to me seem pretty remote.  

• Like (+1) 2