Dawson Knox needs to go....now.

Kwai San

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's so up and down. And they really are extreme ups and downs.

The bad drops, the fumbles...

Then a couple good, redeeming plays.

I dont know. I guess keep him around next year while he is still on a rookie deal, but he better show some improvement between the ears.

Yea, that's where i'm at.  He has so much potential and is on a rookie contract.  With Allen's upcoming contract, we can't spend everywhere.. Focus on OL/WR and make due with the guys we draft and develop at TE/RB.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He's athletic enough, but he isn't very good.

The drops, his field awareness, injury history. 

Tight End is still a hole on this roster. 

Thank you!  You would have thought I shot JA the way some people are overacting....

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Yes.  However, if you're sitting in the 2nd round and Pat Freiermuth is sitting there I think you make the pick.    This year's draft is top heavy at Tight End.   If you want to make a move that wont cost a lot of money you do it there.   I understand Knox has talent, but his output is akin to someone like Jeremy Sprinkle.   He is going into year three next year, and he hasnt shown enough to this point to even consider warranting a second contract.

Worst case scenario Knox continues to be inconsistent and you have Freiermuth as a long term starter.  Best case scenario Knox blossoms and you have two great options at tight end.

30 mill in cap space-  we have to: 

-resign/replace Matt milano.

-resign/replace Daryl Williams

-resign/replace Jon Feliciano

-resign/replace Levi wallace

-resign/replace Josh Norman (won’t be hard)

-figure out LG (Ford, resign boettger?)

-will Mitch Morse be able to continue?

-John Brown has one year left.

-edmunds is a year closer to getting paid or do we replace him?

-does knox take the starting spot and run with it or continue dropping passes?

-Along the DL, we can part ways or keep:  butler, Jefferson, Addison, Hughes.

-Hyde has one year left.  We don’t want to lose him.

-JA is going to be paid 35-40 mill a year.  

Lots of HUGE decisions looming as we’re about to pay our QB BIG bucks.  This years 2nd rd pick is going to be a huge resource going forward. 4 year deal making a mill a year.  Drafting future starters  in rds 1-3 will be paramount in this teams future

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

People have been mentioning how great Mike Gesicki is this year, but they don't known that he wasn't very good at all before this year.

I think Knox just needs more time to develop.

Gesicki has improved each year. Knox hasn’t and still struggles to catch the ball. 

The next draft is going to be strong at TE. Knox should be on notice.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Lots of HUGE decisions looming as we’re about to pay our QB BIG bucks.  This years 2nd rd pick is going to be a huge resource going forward. 4 year deal making a mill a year.  Drafting future starters  in rds 1-3 will be paramount in this teams future

Its going to be very tough I agree.

I think you end up seeing a lot of turn over along the defensive and offensive lines.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

People have been mentioning how great Mike Gesicki is this year, but they don't known that he wasn't very good at all before this year.

Nope, was easy to see Gesecki was the man back at Penn state 

11 hours ago, JY422 said:

Stop. Knox is not a world beater by any stretch but he is consistent as a blocker 

when did he start becoming a consistent blocker ?   

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

The lack of off-season, the injuries, and the time on the Covid list surely haven't helped Knox.

But I think Gesiki was the more polished TE coming out of college, and he has had a higher catch % and lower drops than Knox.

7 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Gesicki has improved each year. Knox hasn’t and still struggles to catch the ball. 

The next draft is going to be strong at TE. Knox should be on notice.

Absolutely not disagreeing with you on any point and in a strong TE class, we have an opportunity to strengthen the position and we should (will?)

I just think that he is very raw and needs more time than others with a higher floor but lower ceiling.

I know we always talk about the DK/Ford pick, but I was surprised we passed on him because it seems like McD puts a lot of value in physical freaks (Allen, Edmunds), even if they're raw.

I think Knox falls into this category.

47 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Yes.  However, if you're sitting in the 2nd round and Pat Freiermuth is sitting there I think you make the pick.    This year's draft is top heavy at Tight End.   If you want to make a move that wont cost a lot of money you do it there.   I understand Knox has talent, but his output is akin to someone like Jeremy Sprinkle.   He is going into year three next year, and he hasnt shown enough to this point to even consider warranting a second contract.

Worst case scenario Knox continues to be inconsistent and you have Freiermuth as a long term starter.  Best case scenario Knox blossoms and you have two great options at tight end.

I dunno. I think in 1-2 rds Bills need to focus on CB, LB. I'm looking at Charlie Kolar in 3rd. Big target with nice catch radius and better than adaquate blocker. Freiermuth injury might scare me. Kolar can be Jason Witten like. Not dynamic, but reliable chain mover with ability to make plays. Kenny Yeboah may be there in 3rd too

39 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Nice write up/synopsis of the Bills going forward.  Thanks!!!

Agree 110% drafting rounds 1-3 are going to be HUGE.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Kroft is gonzo.  He's been inactive the past few weeks and is an UFA at the end of the year.

Im not trying to bash on Knox. I was rooting for him to succeed but I think it's clear at this point that he's not the answer. Kroft may not be here next year, but hes more reliable at this point. With so much on the line this year, a little more reliability from the position is probably a better option.

Idk the status of Sweeney these days, but I think its clear we need to address this in the off season either way.

As for the #2 cb, again we can do better, but Dane has been promising and the combination of him and Wallace doesn't lose me sleep this year. IDK if Norman stays, I could do without him for what he brings, but  McBeane will definitely want more competition here next year.

Go  Bills!

After Kroft walks I will bet that Knox gets another chance BUT Beane and McDermott will go the UFA route.

It won't be a big name but I would bet a lot of TEs would like a chance to play with Josh Allen.

They will wait another year before going to draft again if needed.

I see a journeyman TE signed for cheap.  Someone like a James O'Shaughnessy from JAX or the like.

Don't flame me it's just what I think they are going to do.  If he works out Lee Smith will be probably be gone by season start too.

Like beating my head against the wall, as this seems to be a topic of discussion every single year. Please, for the love of God, review and research TEs over the last 20 years. There is ONE, just ONE exception that had an amazing start to their career: Hall of Famer Tony Gonzalez. While we'd all LOVE for that to be the norm for the Bills, there's a reason why it's taken a HOF to show the rare contribution from a TE in their first two years.

Of the great recent TEs, Kelce, Ertz and Gronk were drafted in the 2nd Round. The rest, including Witten, Gates, J. Graham, and others were all drafted in the mid to late rounds and they all took three years or more to fully realize their value in the Offense. Vernon Davis was taken 8th overall and a BUST until Harbaugh went to San Fran and resurrected Alex Smith's career. 

Kittle: 5th Round

Waller: 6th Round and bounced around teams and had personal struggles before his campaign with the Raiders

Andrews: 3rd Round

Much like people who wanted to cut Bass after one week, for Pete's sake people - be patient with raw / Rookie NFL players. Knox was quite raw coming into the NFL, didn't even catch a TD in college but like others Beane has Drafted, they saw the potential - so let's give it time to mature. Knox has gotten better in some ways, and still needs improvement in others. But, honestly, with his speed and toughness, and the ability to run routes and be used as he has in different situations, give Daboll and McD time to develop him. Just be patient, and allow the coaching staff to do their job. 

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess that depends on how you define improvement?  Gesicki's catch % plummeted his 2nd year.

Even with all his struggles this season, Knox catch % is up and his drop % down.

I don't mean to sound too harsh toward Knox, and this perhaps IS too harsh, but I ... kinda feel like he still could (and maybe should) have caught that goal-line pass despite being interfered with prior to the ball hitting him right in the hands. Diggs probably would have caught it.  I do realize it's tough to catch a pass with a defender whacking you before it arrives. It was a perfect throw. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DaggersEOD said:

Agreed.

I know it is an usual take with the way people love Gesicki, but to me he is simply a one dimensional pass catching TE.  He is a below average blocker and would not fit at all with what we are doing.

He is basically a big bodied WR and that is not the role they are asking of Knox in this offense.  It has also taken into his 3rd season to figure out the passing attack only in Miami.  One more year than Knox has had in Buffalo and they are asking Knox to figure out blocking assignments as an H back - a role he has never played.

Of course I want Knox to be better, but if you are looking at him to be Gesicki - it is the wrong comparison.  I also think you will see Sweeney return and be the extra TE to replace Kroft.

I do not expect a lot of resources poured into the TE position unless someone falls perfectly to them.  I think they will go into 2021 with Sweeney and Knox as the 2 starters because they can both block and get out on patters as needed.

3 hours ago, DaggersEOD said:

I don't know if that is true.  I was coveting him last season. Was keeping my fingers crossed, with all their front office incompetence (or what seemed that way at the time) he might somehow get cut.  I can't remember the specifics now, but I remember him having a really nice game against us his rookie season, thinking "this guy could be something". Though he always looked a little small.

TE is just a position where it takes some time for a lot of guys to develop. Knox has had a frustrating season, no doubt.  Not arguing that we can't use an upgrade, but right now, he has more upside than any of the other guys.  Kroft definitely has better hands, but he doesn't have Knox big play potential.  This is a high powered offense...they want guys who can catch, for sure...but they also want guys who can turn short passes in to big chunks of yardage.  Knox has that potential. Luckily, this year, we have a few options in the passing game.

Edited by Buftex
  • Thank you (+1) 1