Could John Brown be Released Next Off-Season?

Looking at his 2021 salary from Spotrac.com, releasing Brown would save $8.15 million from the cap and only $1.6 million in dead cap. He is a great player to have but with Gabriel Davis playing well and Brown dealing with injuries this year, I can see him being released. What do you guys think? 

• Haha (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Halloween Land said:

Looking at his 2021 salary from Spotrac.com, releasing Brown would save $8.15 million from the cap and only $1.6 million in dead cap. He is a great player to have but with Gabriel Davis playing well and Brown dealing with injuries this year, I can see him being released. What do you guys think? 

No. The idea is having the best talent surrounding Josh Allen. Having Smoke on the field does that

• Like (+1) 10

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I've thought about it but I think they want to keep the continuity.  I  can honestly see Morse being released....does he have a big dead cap hit?

Morse's salary next year is $10,375,000 with a dead cap of $5,500,000. 2022 would be more favorable to release him with a $2,750,000 dead cap hit. 

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I've thought about it but I think they want to keep the continuity.  I  can honestly see Morse being released....does he have a big dead cap hit?

5.5 in cap savings, he is a cap hit of 10.3 on the books, 2022 he is around a 2 million cap hit.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Halloween Land said:

Would be surprised.

he and/or beasley are the type you get to keep with the rookie deal quarterback. You don’t get to pay 3 wrs forever but now is a great time with all of them being effective and a great match for each other. 

davis is perfect for reliable depth and allows either a high upside project or specialty player instead of struggling to find a 4th body that could be near full time to add if you cut brown 

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Been thinking the same thing recently.  If you designate if as a post June 1st cut he counts for 2.75 of dead cap for 2021 and 2022.    You end up saving 7.6 million in 2021, and 8.5 million in 2022.    Resign Feliciano to play center at a lower contract, and then draft a right tackle and right guard.   

On the Brown thing, you save 8.5 million by cutting him.   I can see him as a restructure, but its going to have to be a large pay cut for it to matter.  

• Like (+1) 1

Monday night was the first time I thought the Bills offense could function at an elite level without Brown.  Obviously a healthy Davis is better than an unhealthy Brown, but Brown is still a better receiver.  They will need a healthy Brown if they are to beat the elite teams in the playoffs. As for next year, we need to see what Davis does down the stretch.

Edited by FUTURIST
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

The O is better with Smoke on the field.  Let's stop acting like we have to save money at every turn, and Trust in Beane

Agreed, but he has to stay on the field. That is a lot of money for a receiver that can't stay on the field. He has dressed for 8 games this year and in 3 of those games he had 1 catch or no catches.  Insert other media

2 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

The O is better with Smoke on the field.  Let's stop acting like we have to save money at every turn, and Trust in Beane

Agree with this - The Bills don't need to nickel and dime their way to win games.  The current structure allows them to keep Smoke.  2022??  Different story then for sure.....then it is going to be nickel and dimes due to the JA contract.....even if he does offer up a homie town discount.....it is still gonna be a big huge hit.  Rightfully so.

Go BILLS!

I think Davis has big time potential, but I'm not cutting John Brown after this year UNLESS they are planning on using his cap savings to help re-sign Feliciano, Williams & Milano, then draft a speed WR in the 1st Round.

This Offense is built around a solid OL, stud QB and 4 very good WR's.  The trade-off is average playmakers at RB & TE.  Can't have everything (unless you're KC apparently)..  4 good WR's is paramount to this Offense and allows us to still have 3, even when someone like Brown goes down for some games. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1