Feleciano replacing Winters at RG in the game

ILBillsfan

4 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK so Winters started on the right side, Mongo on the left, but then quickly replaced Winters with Ike and moved Mongo to the other side?

Was wondering about that as saw Winters started, then didn't notice much till Mongo got hurt, then only noticed came back in on right side.

The snap counts came out - Mongo started on the Right and Ike started on the Left as he played every snap.

Winters only came in for the Mongo injury for limited plays and then Mongo came back.

Winters did not start or get in without injury.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

This was a great move by the Bills as several times Winters was walked right back into Josh's lap.  Was good to see him back in the game late was a scare seeing him go down.

Want to see this line continue the rest of the year next week will be a solid test vs that Steelers dline.

I like that combo if they can all stay healthy. Winters does get bull-rushed quite a bit and there is a need for more stout pass-pro and run blocking on the right side of the line.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think they will bring Feliciano back. They might even sacrifice Morse to do it. That he is supposedly Allen's biggest buddy on the team doesn't hurt either. Williams I am pretty sure will get paid somewhere else. 

I can't see them letting Williams go.  Best RT they've had in decades and fairly young.  Plus they need to protect Josh.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The snap counts came out - Mongo started on the Right and Ike started on the Left as he played every snap.

Winters only came in for the Mongo injury for limited plays and then Mongo came back.

Yeah read that in an article stating he played every snap.  I  know the graphic listed Winters and would have sworn I saw him out there early.  Guess not.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

Which mongo would go left guard and Ike right guard. Feel like we would have a lot success running left with that lineup. 
Left side. Strong side 

I think they have found that Ike is much better on the left side.  

I think the coaching staff wanted Mongo and Dawkins on the Left as they have the most power.  I think the big problem is that forced them to put Winters in on the right side as Ike does not seem to be a right side player.

I think the Bills coaches realized that Winters was the weak link as he gets pushed back into Josh’s lap.  Therefore they put Ike in and shifted Mongo over - not as strong rushing, but the best pass pro line they have.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think the coaching staff wanted Mongo and Dawkins on the Left as they have the most power.  I think the big problem is that forced them to put Winters in on the right side as Ike does not seem to be a right side player.

I think the Bills coaches realized that Winters was the weak link as he gets pushed back into Josh’s lap.  Therefore they put Ike in and shifted Mongo over - not as strong rushing, but the best pass pro line they have.

Agree. And having more balance with your left and right side may open up some run options behind that right side too.

The Bills do have to figure something out regarding backside pursuit on their zone running plays. The blocking in front of our running plays looks good, but the offensive line opposite the play side of the run are not sealing off the defensive players running plays down from behind. That, coupled with an annoying habit of our running backs looking for cutback lanes that are usually not there has stalled too many runs.

Our RBs need to follow their blocks even if it only leads to just a few positive yards, it beats a TFL. However, if the Bills can figure out how to seal off that backside pursuit on zone runs, then maybe our RBs will have more cutback options. Unfortunately, that falls primarily on Knox unless they have Smith in there which gives the play away. Knox has absolutely sucked at blocking. They need to take him out of the receiver group and work him a hell of a lot more with our tackles on leverage and blocking techniques in space.

The other concept would be to ditch more of the zone runs sideline to sideline for off-tackle runs and draws which take less time to develop. I liked the balance of pass to run this game... just enough run to keep linebackers on the field which created mismatches in the shallow zones for our WRs to exploit.

Edited by WideNine

On 12/8/2020 at 12:24 AM, Albany,n.y. said:

I noticed the switch to Boettger on the opening drive & was very happy to see Mongo at RG, Boettger at LG and Winters at left out.  

I mentioned in another thread, and agree this is the best line barring injuries these guys gave Josh a ton of time to sit back in the pocket against a pretty good defense.

21 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Boettger is a liability in the run game. Winters is horrible in pass protection. This offense wins when Allen has time to throw. Stick with Dawkins, Boettger, Morse, Feliciano, and Williams

The whole line is a liability in the run game. It really is a shame they can't consistently run block as a unit. If they had a somewhat competent run game this offense would be utterly filthy. Opposing defenses already know that in 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 3 we are passing the ball because our backs and O line pose little threat. Sure they'll break one from time to time but they generate no kind of push whatsoever. QB sneaks and short yard situations have been pathetic.  That element alone takes away so much and limits what they can do. On the bright side they do pass protect pretty well.

On 12/8/2020 at 12:39 AM, Special K said:

Winters position for the rest of the year:

Heated Outdoor Benches | Dragon Seats

and in civies!

On 12/8/2020 at 2:04 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

That's our best OL. Dawkins, Boett, Morse, Mongo, Williams. Now the trick is keeping them healthy for these last 8 games.

Fixed it for ya. WC, Div Round, Conf Championship, SB.

19 hours ago, Doc said:

I can't see them letting Williams go.  Best RT they've had in decades and fairly young.  Plus they need to protect Josh.

This plus Bills don't have much tackle depth after the season.  Ty is a free agent and Ford should stay at G imo

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Travis Etienne. He's worth a #1 pick for what he can add to the passing game.

Hes good but I like Najee Harris more. 

I'm still in the camp that drafting Kyle Pitts would be a great option. A stud TE is nice to have 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/7/2020 at 11:22 PM, ILBillsfan said:

100% agree not sure what took so long

I'm thinking possibly Mongo's pec.  It's his R pec, so at LG he's got the center on that side, may have needed to heal and strengthen a bit more to go to the R.

Just my guess and I don't know.

19 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Good take, plus I think it *may* be easier on Mongo to play LG while his pec finishes healing.

TBH though, I thought Boettger has had some runs where he did some nice blocking.  I'll try to find a couple.  I think they are trying to coach him up there and it's working.

6 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

I don't think there is RB that should be considered in the first round

End of the first rd isnt horrible.  It comes down to what other players are still available.  I would look at Lb, Te, Dline, Oline, or Db before Rb at the moment heck maybe even a wr.  With Allen looking like a franchise Qb I would draft a lineman every year.  Honestly, their method of drafting backs isnt wrong.  I would look to add a more explosive runner and catcher.  In the middle rounds one can be found.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yeah read that in an article stating he played every snap.  I  know the graphic listed Winters and would have sworn I saw him out there early.  Guess not.

No, I had noticed at the start of the game "Oh, Mongo's at RG" then they put up the graphic and I snickered.

19 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

What was Mongo's injury and is there any update?  Worrisome with the short week...and the short week next week

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm thinking possibly Mongo's pec.  It's his R pec, so at LG he's got the center on that side, may have needed to heal and strengthen a bit more to go to the R.

Just my guess and I don't know.

Good take, plus I think it *may* be easier on Mongo to play LG while his pec finishes healing.

TBH though, I thought Boettger has had some runs where he did some nice blocking.  I'll try to find a couple.  I think they are trying to coach him up there and it's working.

Totally agree - Ike has potential as a run blocker - he is not as consistent and he is not the finisher that Mongo is.

Where I was impressed was in his handling of the pass pro because that requires so much interaction with the Center and Tackle.  He filled in nicely as opposed to Winters that was driven back and multiple times versus the Chargers - appeared to screw up on stunts.

I think the Bills were very concerned that the 49ers would follow what the Chargers did if they left Winters in.  The change presented a different view and forced the 49ers to review how they wanted to attack the OL as Mongo is a totally different beast than Winters at RG.

If Ike can keep it up after teams get some film - then we will be ok, but teams will now look for ways to attack Ike/Dawkins and we need them to hold up.